Kahr PM9 vs. Walther PPS

I've been considering purchasing either a Kahr PM9 or a Walther PPS in 9mm for my concealed carry gun. I am 6'3" with big hands and wear clothes on a daily basis that I can't hide a larger frame handgun under (jeans and a t-shirt). Also would like the option of pocket carry. What do you suggest?

I suggest that you try them both out before buying.

If you are around either Braintree R&P or Mansfield F&G (assuming you are even in MA), I can let you try my PM9. I've never shot the PPS, so can't help there. I also have a Mika pocket holster for the PM9 which makes it disappear.

You'd be surprised what you can hide with the PROPER holster and GUN belt (regular belts, no matter how good just don't cut it). I'm 5'8" and carried a FS 1911 under a t-shirt for quite a while a few years back.

The PPS has the Walther-style mag release on the trigger guard. The PM9 has the more traditional button. If you're used to one or the other you may want to take that into account.

I am 6'3" with big hands and wear clothes on a daily basis that I can't hide a larger frame handgun under (jeans and a t-shirt).

If you're having that much trouble, you need to stop buying skinny jeans.

You'd be surprised what you can hide with the PROPER holster and GUN belt (regular belts, no matter how good just don't cut it). I'm 5'8" and carried a FS 1911 under a t-shirt for quite a while a few years back.

This. I'm only 5'5", and I've had no trouble concealing a larger frame semi auto.

Not sure about the Kahr, but I have a PPS in 9mm that is my normal EDC. Hides well IWB and i've had no issues with mine. I actually really like it!

Yes...but S&W will ship out a new S disconnector for you to get it back to normal.

I tried to order one from S&W in September. The guy said he couldn't ship it to a MA address!!! I was about to go ballistic but asked if he would ship it to NY. He would, so I just had it sent to my Mother's house (which is a valid shipping address on my CC). I'm not sure if it is a "new" policy or just got the wrong guy on the phone.

I've been considering purchasing either a Kahr PM9 or a Walther PPS in 9mm for my concealed carry gun. I am 6'3" with big hands and wear clothes on a daily basis that I can't hide a larger frame handgun under (jeans and a t-shirt). Also would like the option of pocket carry. What do you suggest?

I have both guns and they are both outstanding firearms. If you have big hands you will probably find the grip of the Kahr to be a little too small for you (it's borderline for me at 6', 225lbs). I end up carrying the PPS all the time and my wife has pretty much decided the Kahr is her's because the grip fits her hand better. BTW the PPS is quite possibly one of the most accurate firearms I have ever owned and it LOVES Hornady TAP ammo.

I owned the PPS, and IMHO a very very good gun. Extremely reliable and accurate. I did not fint the trigger guard mag release an issue at all. What I did find an issue was the design of the mag floor plates..... If you have big hands ( as i do ) while releasing a mag and inserting another the design wants to grab the lower palm of my hand and pinch the skin and not allowing the mag to be fully inserted. With practice it can be worked around ( for me ) I ended up selling as I wanted something that could be holster or pocket carried.....

Not sure about the Kahr, but I have a PPS in 9mm that is my normal EDC. Hides well IWB and i've had no issues with mine. I actually really like it!

what he said.

Also there are ways of fixing the MA boogered trigger, so don't let that be a deal breaker.

I ordered the disconnector last week and got a nice new "S" one in the mail (MA address) yesterday. Today I pulled out that nasty "H" one and put in the new one.

Very noticeable difference in dry firing. Can't wait to get to range and try her out.

I carry this when I don't want the thickness of my Hk45c or G19.

I tried to order one from S&W in September. The guy said he couldn't ship it to a MA address!!! I was about to go ballistic but asked if he would ship it to NY. He would, so I just had it sent to my Mother's house (which is a valid shipping address on my CC). I'm not sure if it is a "new" policy or just got the wrong guy on the phone.

I ordered the disconnector last week and got a nice new "S" one in the mail (MA address) yesterday. Today I pulled out that nasty "H" one and put in the new one.

I'm glad to hear it's not a widespread policy. When I tried to order it and gave him my address he put me on hold. He came back and said sorry but he couldn't ship that part to a MA address.

I have a PM9 and I've only handled a PPS. So take this fwiw.

The PM9 can be carried as a pocket gun whereas, IMO, the PPS can't. The PPS is sized like a thin G26 and won't fit as a pocket gun for most people (unless you have big pants pockets I suppose). As an IWB gun, the PPS seems like it'd be great.

I have a PM9 and I've only handled a PPS. So take this fwiw.

The PM9 can be carried as a pocket gun whereas, IMO, the PPS can't. The PPS is sized like a thin G26 and won't fit as a pocket gun for most people (unless you have big pants pockets I suppose). As an IWB gun, the PPS seems like it'd be great.

I wouldn't do it with tight jeans but here is the PPS being carrier as a pocket gun in a pair of Columbia shorts. I do this all the time.
DSC03100.jpg

I wouldn't do it with tight jeans but here is the PPS being carrier as a pocket gun in a pair of Columbia shorts. I do this all the time.
DSC03100.jpg

Fair enough. It's all dependent on the pants. The PM9 is definitely easier though.

What I like the most about my PM9 (other than that it's been flawless so far) is that it gives me absolutely no excuse not to carry all the time (even at home). Pocket carry works with cargo shorts in the summer, and I use a PJ Holster with jeans and a Wilderness/5.11 trainer belt. PPS is nice, but that slight size differential steered me to the PM9.

The PM9 in my option is a all around better choice. If its a CCW smallers better and the PM9 fits that in every dimension especially weight. The trigger is a tiny bit longer on the kahr then the wather and if its a MA version PPS then the triggers heavy and gritty so the Kahr kicks it butt in that category.You can get nice mag extensions for the PPS but for me again the smaller the better so I would always user the shortest version of the grip. If your a lefty the PPS might be something to consider. The Ruger LC9 is bigger then the PM9 but its about the same size as the PPS and still lighter. I perfer the pf9 over the lC9 and PPS because its the lightest by far. I own the pf9 and a pm9 and I only carry the pm9.

I am very surprised. I just picked up a PPS from a member here. Smoking deal awesome guy to deal with. I was very surprised when I try the trigger pull. I took the gun apart and realized it had the H disconnector. As I tried to pull it was zero grit and it seem to break at about 5 pounds.

I went into this deal with the intention of ordering the S disconnector. It seems I am not going to have to do that. I do however wonder if I order the S disconnector, will it change the already smooth trigger pull dramatically

Back
Top Bottom