• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr PM9 in Mass?

I stopped by Blue Northern yesterday and fondled a PM9. Price was $839 and it looked like they had at least 2 in stock. It fit my hand quite well and pointed naturally enough. It definitely seemed heavier than my aluminum J-frame but not so much that it would be a pain to carry. The trigger pull was longish and certainly not target weight, but it was lighter than my M&P out of the box and would be fine for a personal defense pistol. If I had an unrestricted LTC, and worked at a place where I could carry every day, I'd consider it although the price is a bit steep.

The PM9 and 642 are both about 15oz. They are within an oz or two of each other.
Yea, I see that's what the numbers say; my 637 is listed at 15oz and the PM9 with magazine is 15.9oz. Yet for some reason the PM9 seemed to feel a bit heavier in my hand. As I said it's not enough to make a difference.

The pm9 if I remember is about an 1" shorter in overall and the barrel is an inch longer. The pm9 is also narrower. I have a J frame its okay but I find with the longer barrel in the pm9 it is a bit easier to hit your first shot.

The pm9 if I remember is about an 1" shorter in overall and the barrel is an inch longer. The pm9 is also narrower. I have a J frame its okay but I find with the longer barrel in the pm9 it is a bit easier to hit your first shot.
I doubt it is the length of the barrel that makes the PM9 easier to shoot. It is the longer sight radius and the real sights. A J-frame is plenty accurate, it is just very hard to shoot accurately.

What in gods name makes these so fnnn expensive?

As dixidawg mentioned, supply and demand since Kahr has very little competition (maybe Kel Tec but Kahrs are manufactured to a higher standard).

Also, Kahrs have some fairly unique engineering to accomplish firing a real caliber out of such a small gun. Finally, as I mentioned, Kahrs are quite well made.

I keep wondering why everyone says these are so expensive. Yes 800 is a lot of money. But when considering a brand new sub-compact or "mousegun" in 9mm here is mass what are we comparing it too? Keltec nice stuff just bigger and cheaply made, and revolvers? This is a high quality true pocket gun.

BOOM, thread revival.

I just caught the Kahr bug and need to scratch that itch before I lose interest.

I was initially pissed that the MA version has the external safety and that God damn loaded chamber indicator, but then I saw they also threw in an improved trigger. It takes the trigger pull from 3/8" to 1/4", which is really only a 1/8" improvement.

Does anyone have any experience with this new trigger?

What are your thoughts on the external safety? I think I would just leave it off if it's likely to stay put and slim enough to ignore.

BOOM, thread revival.

I just caught the Kahr bug and need to scratch that itch before I lose interest.

I was initially pissed that the MA version has the external safety and that God damn loaded chamber indicator, but then I saw they also threw in an improved trigger. It takes the trigger pull from 3/8" to 1/4", which is really only a 1/8" improvement.

Does anyone have any experience with this new trigger?

What are your thoughts on the external safety? I think I would just leave it off if it's likely to stay put and slim enough to ignore.

I'm sure you can find yourself a non-MA version of the gun if you're really interested in it.

Don't use the safety. I never used it on my PM9 and never felt the need to. The trigger pull is still a mile long so no safety needed 'cept the one between yer ears. IMO the safety on the PM9 is a horrible design, way to small. In a panic situation I could just see my thumb slipping repeatedly off that stupid little nubbin so I never used it. I loved the trigger, long but smooth; reset is long but never kept me from being able to fire rapidly with reasonable accuracy.

Yeah, I'm a little impatient. I was hoping someone had the MA version and could say "I don't even notice the safety" and my conscience would be clear.

I never use the safety. Its small and sort of rounded off so, for me at least, its difficult to operate unless you deliberately push your thumb into it. It isnt something I could see myself effortlessly sweeping with my thumb as I draw in a hurry. I dont carry any of my pistols with the safety on, so the awkward PM9 safety is a non-issue for me.

The good thing about the safety being rounded is it isnt likely to snag on anything, imo. Since the LCI is tipped up in the front, it wont snag on the way out, maybe get hooked up while re-holstering but even that isnt very likely due to it being so small. The safety and the loaded chamber indicator are barely there.

If I were to guess, I'd say they grudgingly designed it to make states like MA happy. Ive never saw a non-MA PM9, but I personally wouldnt pay more for one now that Ive had the MA version for a while.

Anyone experience safety bite? My hand got chewed up pretty good by the safety. Talon grips might help but I'm thinking about gently rounding over the edge.

Anyone experience safety bite? My hand got chewed up pretty good by the safety. Talon grips might help but I'm thinking about gently rounding over the edge.

When I first got mine it happened a bit. I did get talon grips for it, so I don't know if it was those that helped out or me just getting used to shooting it but I no longer have that problem

Back
Top Bottom