Kahr PM9 in Mass?

Supposed to be shipping this Fall
Kahr PM9193

NEW MODEL | 9 mm | Shipping Fall 2009!!

Kahr Arms is selling the PM9 model in Massachusetts. This pistol is on the Commonwealth of Massachusetts EOPS Approved Firearms Roster and now incorporates all MA compliant features. The Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General has reviewed the pistol and, as presented to them, “has no reason to believe that this Office would have any specific concern that sales of this firearm would violate the Attorney General’s regulations.”

MA Compliant PM9 Features

Second Serial Number
This model has an additional serial number to the primary serial number which is molded on the outside of the dust cover area. The second serial number is engraved on a ¼” pin surface and embedded inside the dust cover. The approximate size of the lettering is .020 and is engraved on the surface of the pin. Viewing of the number is attainable with10X magnification

Loaded Chamber Indicator
This model is designed to provide physical indication if there is a bullet loaded in the chamber. The product is designed with a lever mounted on the top of slide. The lever is marked as Indicator in red lettering. When a bullet is chambered it pushes the lever upward and out of position. The operator will visually see the lever as it is raised up. Also the operator will be able to feel the indicator as being out of its normal resting position as it will not be flush with the top of the slide, thus warning the operator that the firearm is loaded.

External Safety
This model has, in addition to the internal safety, an external safety that will prevent the firearm from firing when the safety is in safe position. The product has an external lever with two settings. When the lever is pushed up the red dot is visible; the firearm is in the armed position and ready to fire with the pull of the trigger. When the lever is pushed down, the red dot is hidden and the firearm is in safe position and will not function with the pull of the trigger. The safety works in the following sequence. When the lever is in down (Safe) position the connecting cam on the lever pushes the trigger bar out of position thus disconnecting it from the cocking cam. Thus, even when the trigger is pulled, there is no contact between the trigger bar and the cocking cam and thus there is no fire. When the lever is pushed up (fire/armed position) the cam moves out of place and the trigger bar moves up, again connecting with the cocking cam and ready to fire with the pull of the trigger

mdtl_pm9193.jpg

This could have a profound effect upon the MA small handgun market in general. It could really shake things up. With Ruger's snubby now available coupled with the PM9 there are two major competitors with the j frames and the Walther PPS, that will be a real hit for S&W. When the PM9 hits the market I suspect it will fly off the shelves regardless of cost. MA is starved for small easily concealable pocket type handguns. Hopefully, this will stimulate other manufacturers to compete for market share.

This could have a profound effect upon the MA small handgun market in general. It could really shake things up. With Ruger's snubby now available coupled with the PM9 there are two major competitors with the j frames and the Walther PPS, that will be a real hit for S&W. When the PM9 hits the market I suspect it will fly off the shelves regardless of cost. MA is starved for small easily concealable pocket type handguns. Hopefully, this will stimulate other manufacturers to compete for market share.

Excellent point

Maybe they'll pass a law in MA similar to Minnesota (or wherever it was up there) that guns and ammo manufactured in MA can't be subject to the ATF. ROTFL!!

OK, what was I thinking.

I sent carl from FS a few emails. No word on price. He did say he already had 10 on order and is waiting for the MA AG just to give the final approval. He said it could be for sale in as less as 60 days.

If price is in the $600-700 range I will be buying one with night sites. If the price is MSRP I will probably wait. I might buy one eventually but if the price is high i think I would rather keep my LCP and get an HK. The other decision is whether to get one of the first models. Seeing how the PM9 has been for sale for a while now I don't think we will have to worry about first model bugs like the PPS and M&P. We will see.

Last edited:
I have a PPS, but have always wanted a PM9. It looks almost like it could be a pocket gun (the PPS is a little too large, I think, but is great IWB).

This is a really interesting area of economics. In a classic model, entrants to a market are less likely to appear if others are already in the market space. After all, if the chance to jump into a market with few or no competitors is not enticing, then how could the presence of additional competitors be better? But many people, like the quote above, see this another way, and while inconsistent with classic economics, it is not necessarily incorrect, and in fact is a little more sophisticated. Two factors could explain how this scenario (one entrant draws in another) could work. The first is prospecting, where there is uncertainty about market demand and the entry of a new seller demonstrates latent demand and/or reduces uncertainty about the demand level at the market price. Second, and more complex, is the idea that demand is driven by availability of goods and not innate desire or need. A new entrant could create demand that may be captured by a later competitor.

Interesting to an economist, but maybe not to others. Now back to the thread...

I agree... maybe the fistful of pain, the Seecamp .380, will get sold here eventually too. [laugh]

-Mike

I wonder if there going to make the trigger 12lbs? Not crazy about the indicator but whatever it takes.

Maybe not. Don't the regs say a 10 lb trigger OR a safety? If so, I would think that they would leave the standard trigger alone and just add the safety. We'll find out shortly, I guess.

Sweeeet!

Hallafreekinluya! Been sending Kahr emails a couple times a year waiting for the PM9 in MA. Was just on their site tonight and saw the notice. Not crazy about the safety but I can live with it for the sheer concealability and quality of this baby! I just hope the street price is reasonable and the dealers don't try to jack us. Now, what can I sell to raise some dough?

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll see it actually for sale soon. I heard from Carl @ FS about 2 weeks ago and he said he hadn't heard anything new yet but would let me know when he did.

So they have to add a safety to make it mass compliant, even though it's DAO? I wonder if MA residents will be able to transfer via FFL a non-neutered version once this passes.

FWIW, noone ever mentions the CW-9. It is a little bigger, but the grip is much more comfortable, easily concealed, and costs about half the price.

Hallafreekinluya! Been sending Kahr emails a couple times a year waiting for the PM9 in MA. Was just on their site tonight and saw the notice. Not crazy about the safety but I can live with it for the sheer concealability and quality of this baby! I just hope the street price is reasonable and the dealers don't try to jack us. Now, what can I sell to raise some dough?

Did Carl mention anything about the trigger? Wondering if the safety allowed them to leave the trigger alone.

Hopefully we'll see it actually for sale soon. I heard from Carl @ FS about 2 weeks ago and he said he hadn't heard anything new yet but would let me know when he did.

I don't mind the external safety as much. If anything else, just leave the safety off. You know the trigger won't be any lighter than the PM9 without the external safety.

I hate that stupid engraving on the top of the slide more than anything else. If i bought a PM9 I would strip the slide wet sand that part out and polish it up.

Unless I really hate the gun in person a PM9 will be my next gun for sure. Depending on price it might not happen till spring time though.

Yeah, that engraving is ridiculous. How about one on the barrel that says "Hey moron, warning bullets come out of here". Assume the gun is always loaded, right? Do that and you don't need to worry about lame indicators. I can't believe the insanity that Kahr has had to go through on this. I hope they do well with it. I'll be looking at one once I have the dough.

One thing that is bothering me is the safety. Seems backwards. Could be confusing in a situation. Nothing that alot of practice couldn't cure though.

Yeah, that engraving is ridiculous. How about one on the barrel that says "Hey moron, warning bullets come out of here". Assume the gun is always loaded, right? Do that and you don't need to worry about lame indicators. I can't believe the insanity that Kahr has had to go through on this. I hope they do well with it. I'll be looking at one once I have the dough.

One thing that is bothering me is the safety. Seems backwards. Could be confusing in a situation. Nothing that alot of practice couldn't cure though.

I'm going to guess the trigger pull between the external saftey model, and non-external safety model is the same. I'd honestly just leave the safety off. Any safety mechanisms are likely to be the same I would think.

Back
Top Bottom