Kahr PM-40 mod question

jimlp

NES Member
I just picked up a Kahr PM-40 and it is a great shooting gun, I have a problem with the safety on the gun however. As you can imagine the gun has a stiff but controllable recoil, the safety gets jammed into my thumb joint and starts to rub the skin off after about 25 rounds or so. I would like to get the safety lever ground/rounded down so I cannot feel it but I am unsure as to the legality of having this done, or if any gunsmith would do it. If I had to use the firearm in a defensive situation and the safety was altered as specified above which would make it pretty much inoperable, would that be held against me? Or would the fact that it is still actually on the gun and technically functional matter? I just got this gun and would hate to sell it because of this but this is a big problem that will keep me from practicing with my carry gun as much as I should. Thanks in advance for any replies I may receive.

I picked up a PM9 a few months ago and I had the same problem at first. I haven't done anything to the thumb safety, but I bought some talon grips to put on it and I think that has helped. I didn't like the feeling of the factory grip because it kind of dug into my hand. I really like the talon grips though and I think it lets me grip the gun better so the safety doesn't rub against my thumb anymore. The 40 will have a little more recoil so I'm not sure if that would help though

There is no legal issue in regard to modifying your gun. If you can file and polish down the edges, go for it.

Thanks for your reply, I may go this route. I don't feel comfortable doing this work, is there a gunsmith local to me (Winchester)? I heard there is a new guy in Peabody but I have no idea where or the name of the shop for that matter. Are you the gunsmith in Peabody?

As others have said, there is no legal issue preventing you from doing this. Some gunsmiths won't disable a safety due to liability issues, so you'll have to call up a gunsmith and ask.

No, I am not the gunsmith. I can probably help you though. Your just looking to take the edges down on the safety, right? Or are you looking at disabling the safety all together?

No, I am not the gunsmith. I can probably help you though. Your just looking to take the edges down on the safety, right? Or are you looking at disabling the safety all together?

Hey thanks for the offer to help. I am not looking to disable the safety, just taper it down so it does not batter my thumb joint like a jackhammer. If possible I would like the edge of the safety lever to be even with the frame, I have no idea if that is possible.

View attachment 56964

The Massacusetts version does. That's why I bought a free-state version.

Like the other said, though, I would take a file to the edges to round them out if it's bothering you.

I don't want to just round the edge, I want to taper it down so there is no vertical edge at all. I thought about Greg Derr, his prices are reasonable from what I have heard.

Back
Top Bottom