Juvenile Felony / Saugus Info

Hello Everyone. I've been lurking for several weeks now leading up to my applying for a Class A LTC and found this forum to be extremely helpful - so thank you to all who post, reply and manage this site.
My story is this: I am 36 years old and I have been denied a firearm license due to a non-violent juvenile felony(B+E, from age 14 - dumb kids), which does not show up in my CHSB check. I've consulted with a couple of attorneys (some are members of this forum) and they've all said pretty much the same thing - I'm screwed. My only hope is that in my records there may be some mistake that may be enough to have it dismissed. Because it's a juvenile record going back over 20 yrs, I have to wait a couple of weeks to obtain a copy. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has ever been able to overcome this and obtain a license in this draconian state. I've had military clearance and have been on secret bases around the world, but according to Mass, I'm a 14 yr old criminal.
I live in Saugus and after my experience with the licensing officer, Lt. Coogan, I think Saugus should definitely be listed as GREEN. He is one of the nicest guys I've ever met and if you are a responsible adult(with no record) you should have no problems getting a class A. He stated that if I can get my record vacated he would issue the license, no problem. He even offered to make copies of anything that would help me until he found out that would be a violation of privacy laws. My cousin, who also lives in Saugus, applied a week after me and will be receiving his class A unrestricted any day now. On a side note, another cousin living in Winthrop, just received his class A unrestricted.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

I guess (without getting too personal) the outcome of the case would have a huge impact.

Coviction, continue without a finding, dismissed...

I'd guess your case would have to be a conviction. In this case you are going to have an up hill battle, non-violent or not, this is MA and bottom line, they will deny you if they can.

IF it was a CW/OaF, then you have a chance. If it was dismissed or otherwise, then it should not have any effect.

Best bet, HIRE an attorney that specializes in firearms law, don't just talk to one.

IANAL, but ANY felony (even at birth) in MA is considered a Lifetime DQ!

MGL Ch. 140 S. 131 (d) (i) (a) - LTC

MGL Ch. 140 S. 129B (1) (i) (a) - FID (indirectly - MGL allows FID >5 years after BUT Feds have an "all or nothing" approach to gun rights and therefore possession would be a Federal Felony)

The only way back that I'm aware of (perhaps attorneys know differently) is a Governor's Pardon. Not likely to happen with Cadillac Deval.

BTW: FLRB can NOT hear cases based on a Felony (per MGL), only SOME Misdemeanors.

Sorry that I can't offer any better news. [All above is based on a conviction.]

I am 36 years old and I have been denied a firearm license due to a non-violent juvenile felony(B+E, from age 14 - dumb kids), which does not show up in my CHSB check. I've consulted with a couple of attorneys (some are members of this forum) and they've all said pretty much the same thing - I'm screwed.
If they said you're screwed, you're screwed - the best advice you'll find in this free internet forum is to consult a firearms attorney.

Shame it wasn't a rape conviction; Cadillac Deval would have pardoned you for that. [rolleyes]

Shame it wasn't a rape conviction; Cadillac Deval would have pardoned you for that. [rolleyes]

Only if you are a minority. Because to truly make a minority equal they have to be given special consideration and better chances than the rest. You know, because they can't do it on thier own...because they are equal.... . Damn this is so confusing to me.

Appologies for the segway

Only if you are a minority. Because to truly make a minority equal they have to be given special consideration and better chances than the rest. You know, because they can't do it on thier own...because they are equal.... . Damn this is so confusing to me.

Appologies for the segway

Don't you mean an illegal???

The attorneys that you spoke with are probably far more expert on this type of matter than any of us keyboard commandos...

pluuuuuuuuus take in to account the recent shooting that if lt coogan did issue the guy a license he could be in hot water

i remember the last thing he said to me before handing me my ltc was "dont make me regret giving you this"

Back
Top Bottom