• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Justice Kavanaugh

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
25,338
Likes
17,143
AWB??? I'd like the whole thing (federal and state gun restrictions) reversed back about 80 years.

I was thinking last night, "wouldn't it be nice to buy a bolt-gun or surplus somethingorother online and have them ship it to me." With an online 4473, there is NO reason not to sell guns in State A to a person in State B. Confirm that Federal 2A trumps all State bastardized 2A laws would open the whole thing up.
 

Supermoto

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Joined
Aug 14, 2005
Messages
8,949
Likes
3,317
Location
in 1st Place
I read that he's not great on the 4A.

Yep
Judge Kavanaugh said:
Even if the bulk collection of telephony metadata constitutes a search, the Fourth Amendment does not bar all searches and seizures. It bars only unreasonable searches and seizures. And the Government's metadata collection program readily qualifies as reasonable under the Supreme Court's case law. The Fourth Amendment allows governmental searches and seizures without individualized suspicion when the Government demonstrates a sufficient "special need" -- that is, a need beyond the normal need for law enforcement -- that outweighs the intrusion on individual liberty.
 
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
17,696
Likes
13,508
Location
Southern NH

The government's interest outweighs your rights. Says it all right there. The 4th Amendment's requirement for probable cause and warrants was written specifically so that no governmental interest gets to trump your rights. Good to hear he's just another R who hates the 4th as much as the L's hate the 2nd...
 

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Joined
Sep 7, 2013
Messages
5,919
Likes
19,992
Location
Boston
Starting to draw fire (no pun intended) from the left already. That means, good pick by Trump!

Kavanaugh's staunch gun-rights defense among hundreds of decisions in spotlight

I didn't read the whole article, but I would imagine his dissent in Heller2 is the reason the progs are losing their minds...

I’d guess 75% of them have no idea what Heller v. even means, it’s the other 25% old school socialist moonbats telling that young 75% to be outraged and burn stuff and cry in the morning and such. Shit these kids aren’t that smart these days.
 
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
9,540
Likes
2,989
Location
MA
I'm not willing to give up 1 right to protect another. Kavanaugh seems ok on 2A but pretty horrible on the 4th.

That's not his opinion, that's his opinion following the SCOTUS ruling. He can't change what was ruled already. I think he would rule differently if he was on the SCOTUS at the time. I'm nervous about this guy too, but it seems he is just doing what he said, interpreting the law not making it up.
 
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
18,198
Likes
9,156
I guess Kavanaugh won't be getting Blumenthals vote... [rofl]



Senator to Parkland teens: Kavanaugh ‘is your worst nightmare’ on guns


Sen. Richard Blumenthal points out one of the many ways in which Trump's extremist Supreme Court nominee is dangerous.

On Tuesday morning, members of the Senate Judiciary Committee held a press conference to speak out against Trump’s nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) had a direct message to the Parkland teens who survived February’s gun massacre.

“Here is a memo to the Parkland students,” Blumenthal said. “If you care about common sense gun violence protection, Judge Kavanaugh is your worst nightmare.”

--------------------------------------------

“If you want background checks, or bans on assault weapons, or any of the other common sense, sensible measures that we have in Connecticut or California or New York, Judge Kavanaugh will strike them down,” Blumenthal said. “That’s in his record, that’s indisputable. He is the worst nightmare of advocates of common sense, sensible measures to stop the epidemic of gun violence in this country.”


 
Top Bottom