• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just moved right near the ocean, WTF is this rust on my gun?!

Him

Obviously, the salt in the air, I know that. But it wasn't expected. My guns (Well, just right now my P230. But who know's whats next!) are rusting. Is this normal? I'm now worried about my other guns. My P230 is a bit beat up and old so I'm not terribly alarmed, but it's probably only going to get worse. What can I do to stave off the rust and potential damage?

Most Sigs will rust if you look at them the wrong way. clean and oil them more frequently, and keep dessicant jars, etc, in the safe.

-Mike

That was just my Sig. I also have a Saiga 7.62 (seems like it could be prone to rusting), an SW 1911, and a Walther P22. I also dont have a safe, just tigger locks and cables abound. Whats my best course of action? Just pro-active measures?

wait till you see what it does to brass light fixtures, door knobs, cars, motorcycles, etc etc etc. It's a real joy living near the ocean trust me

Luckily for me I'm just renting for the school year. But still, for the next nine months I'm going to have to deal with a house of rusting stuff! As long as my guns are cared for, however, I'll be fine.

It's the important things.

That was just my Sig. I also have a Saiga 7.62 (seems like it could be prone to rusting), an SW 1911, and a Walther P22. I also dont have a safe, just tigger locks and cables abound. Whats my best course of action? Just pro-active measures?

Get a plastic clothes bin or some other cheap thing from walmart and put them in there with a plug in remington desiccant pack. It's the plugin model blah blah 35. That should help. Obviously keep the cable locks, etc on them. You are just using the bin to control humidity.

I have kept a stainless S&W revolver, a stainless 12 ga. pump shotgun, and a SIG pistol (alloy frame under stainless slide with a black finish on it) on a boat for umpteen years and never seen a spec of rust.

I've lived on the Cape my whole life. You learn how to deal with moist salty air.

I keep cilica gel packs in each safe compartment, and in the summertime about once a week I point my Liotech Freedom at each gun in the safe to inspect for signs of corrosion. (A bright light like that will immediately reveal any signs of corrosion onset.)
Every gun gets a quick wipe down with CLP after it's been taken out of the safe, regardless whether it was fired or not.

My guns I'm not worried about. It's my car I have to be on top of. And of course I off-road on the beaches so I've spent many hours on my back hosing down my undercarriage.

Get a [strike]glock [/strike] tupperware box and put the guns in it with dessicant packs. If all else fails, cosmoline is supposed to work well.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've been monitoring the rust situation. I got most of it off of my 1911 with nothing but some oil, but there is some on there that won't come off. How do I get it off? I'm sad, my expensive investment no longer looks expensive :(

What can I do to stave off the rust and potential damage?

Wipe down the guns regularly, in addition to diligent cleaning/lubricating practices. If you carry, don't just carry one gun all the time, mix things up a little to give them a break from constant exposure. Dessicant in the safe, stored in a room with AC will also help out a lot.

Glock is the answer

Yes it is. They rarely rust, and when they do it tends to be light and in small areas.

How do I get it off? I'm sad, my expensive investment no longer looks expensive :(

What kind of rust are we talking about? A light film on the surface, or big lumps of it? Some oil and a plastic brush should take care of most of it, if that doesn't work try a brass or copper brush with oil. Don't use a steel brush on a steel gun, you'll probably scratch the finish and make it less rust resistant.

It's an annoyingly small, yet startlingly visible amount of rust along the slide. I got the majority off of it using just oil and a cloth. I'm paranoid to use a brush on my finish.

It's an annoyingly small, yet startlingly visible amount of rust along the slide. I got the majority off of it using just oil and a cloth. I'm paranoid to use a brush on my finish.

If you start with a nylon or plastic brush, if that damages the finish on your gun it's probably a Jennings. [laugh]

If you start with a nylon or plastic brush, if that damages the finish on your gun it's probably a Jennings. [laugh]

Yep! I have a few Sigs including a P230. I've never seen rust on any. The oil/salt from your hands w/ extra humidity will do more damage than living near the ocean. I guess you need to be more anal about cleaning.

P230 has rust on it. Didn't rust until I got to live by the ocean. I'm blaming the ocean. Help me get the rust off my 1911!

I used to collect vintage swords and had some where I just liked the sword, it wasn't worth much, so I took the rust off.

I sanded it off with VERY high grit sand paper. Stuff you may not find at places like Home Depot -- you'll find this stuff at Autozone and the likes -- it's designed to re-polish the paint finishes of cars. 2000 grit-ish. You'll need to start lower than that probably. How low? Depends on how bad the rust is. If it's not bad at all just take your time with the 2000 and use nothing else and you may be alright. After that -- oil the hell out of the thing and keep it VERY wet till you're away from the ocean. That's what I do with my old vintage katanas and stuff -- haven't had any rusting issues with doing it.

I don't own any firearms that have had rust issues and have never worried about it, so perhaps someone with experience taking rust off firearms can chime in with a better idea. My idea might leave the firearms a bit too glossy where you sandpaper them since the 2000 grit will give you a mirror-finish if done for long enough and involves grinding. Perhaps something chemical? I really don't know. Just trying to help and giving you an idea here man. I wish you the best with fixing the problem.

Yep! I have a few Sigs including a P230. I've never seen rust on any. The oil/salt from your hands w/ extra humidity will do more damage than living near the ocean. I guess you need to be more anal about cleaning.

A lot of people have had rust problems with Sigs, but humid or saltwater air seems to play a pretty big role in it a lot of the time.

Help me get the rust off my 1911!

Do you have pictures you can post, or a progress report? Let the rust soak in oil before you try any removal. You might have to put a lot of effort into it.

Back
Top Bottom