Just Inherited a Micro Lathe - Need Advice

So my uncle is getting on in years and gave me a micro lathe and a bench height drill press. I have absolutely no idea what I can make with it or where to begin.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

What's the size of the lathe? The chuck size will determine what you can lock into that part. Spindle bore will determine what you can pass through (for longer items) to turn down the end. Find out what size tooling it uses and get some if you didn't get some already (with it). Look at www.shars.com for things. Plus Little Machine Shop's site. Between the two, you can get just about anything you might want for the lathe.

Drill press speeds will determine what it will be good for. As well as make/model will tell you what the product quality should be (many times also depends on the age of the tool). If it's an older model drill press, and it's not running true, chances are you can fix that. Bearings and such can be replaced without too much effort IF you're mechanically adept enough. ;)

I turned plenty of things on the lathe I had. I just found that a mini lathe (not micro) was simply smaller than I really wanted. Once I move to my next place I intend to get a new, larger, lathe so that I can turn things again.

I also used to have a benchtop drill press. Until I wanted something with lower speeds (needed for drilling some steels). Do yourself a favor and get some quality drill bits. The ones you find at HF are not really all that good. Also remember, drill bits are neither true to size, nor make true round holes. To get either of those, you'll need to use reamers. DO check the drill press for tram before you start using it. Nothing sucks more than trying to make something with true holes on a drill press that's out of true to the point where you notice. There are plenty of tramming sets out there for different budget levels. Hell, I have a small one from when I first got my mill that I'm not using. I picked up a larger vise and it needed a tramming set that had more distance between indicators.

It's been said (more than a few times) with a lathe and mill you can make pretty much anything. You're halfway there now. ;)

What brands are the machines? Quality machines will be a determining factor of what you can make.
I'm not familiar with what a micro lathe is. Maybe you are referring to a mini lathe, or perhaps it is a jewelers lathe? More info with pictures would really help. If you want to see what is possible with small machine tools, watch Clickspring on YouTube, you won't regret it.

HF microlathe vs Swiss watchmaker lathe is like Ford vs Lambo, no offense to garbage bin owners.

You need to name the brand. Adidas lathe?
Yes, out of the box a HF lathe is practically useless, but they can easily be upgraded. Little Machine Shop sells just about everything you would need to make it a sweet little lathe. I personally don't have any experience with the HF lathe, just with this stuff.
15977702821161491091503844379269.jpg
O% lower, no problem.

I'm thinking about picking up one of these because I can. US made.

I would look on the market places and get an old South Send 9" model A with the gear box to cut threads, can do far more with it , and many come with fair amount of tooling for about the same money

I would look on the market places and get an old South Send 9" model A with the gear box to cut threads, can do far more with it , and many come with fair amount of tooling for about the same money
Right. And the founder of South Bend Lathe literally wrote the book on How to Run a Lathe.

For starter projects, I'd just Google "beginner lathe projects." Many will be stuff like slide hammers and machinists mallets. Find something that interests you. In the beginning, you're just making chips anyways, so it almost doesn't matter until you know how to get your parts somewhat consistent.

What's the size of the lathe? The chuck size will determine what you can lock into that part. Spindle bore will determine what you can pass through (for longer items) to turn down the end. Find out what size tooling it uses and get some if you didn't get some already (with it). Look at www.shars.com for things. Plus Little Machine Shop's site. Between the two, you can get just about anything you might want for the lathe.

Drill press speeds will determine what it will be good for. As well as make/model will tell you what the product quality should be (many times also depends on the age of the tool). If it's an older model drill press, and it's not running true, chances are you can fix that. Bearings and such can be replaced without too much effort IF you're mechanically adept enough. ;)

I turned plenty of things on the lathe I had. I just found that a mini lathe (not micro) was simply smaller than I really wanted. Once I move to my next place I intend to get a new, larger, lathe so that I can turn things again.

I also used to have a benchtop drill press. Until I wanted something with lower speeds (needed for drilling some steels). Do yourself a favor and get some quality drill bits. The ones you find at HF are not really all that good. Also remember, drill bits are neither true to size, nor make true round holes. To get either of those, you'll need to use reamers. DO check the drill press for tram before you start using it. Nothing sucks more than trying to make something with true holes on a drill press that's out of true to the point where you notice. There are plenty of tramming sets out there for different budget levels. Hell, I have a small one from when I first got my mill that I'm not using. I picked up a larger vise and it needed a tramming set that had more distance between indicators.

It's been said (more than a few times) with a lathe and mill you can make pretty much anything. You're halfway there now. ;)

So here are some pictures. Says it's a Micro Lathe II Model 4500. The 3rd picture is a box marked taps

IMG_20200719_181420173.jpg
IMG_20200818_194749119 (1).jpg IMG_20200818_194655579.jpg IMG_20200818_193946716.jpg

Can you thread a 26" Bartlein barrel for me ?

I have plenty of small diameter brass,bronze,copper,fiberglass, and some plastics if you need any to mess around with.

As was said, Lathes come in all sizes, I currently have a Monarch lathe, 14 inches over the ways and 12 over the saddle 40 inches between centers. I also have a Bridgeport milling machine. I am still playing with both making odds and ends that don't require a lot of tolerances. Also get a Machinery's Handbook. It will help with a lot of conversions.

My advice: if it's a micro lathe, do small micro projects.

Someone had to say it.
Fixed that for ya... ;)

Seriously, for itty bitty items/projects, provided you have all the parts needed to hold tooling it should be OK. I wouldn't expect any real precision from it though. See if it uses tooling/bits that are a size that's actually available without going through 100000 hoops to get. Nothing sucks more than being in the middle of a project, have the last of one type of cutter you need to use break, and you're still waiting for the additional/replacements to arrive.

Also, don't use that Shop Fox "cross slide" vise to attempt to "mill" on that drill press (or on about 95% of drill presses out there). Unless the drill chuck is on an arbor secured with a draw bar it will NOT withstand side loading. Well, it will handle it, but it will drop like your shots on prom night. Any MT drill arbors are held in with friction. Which means side loading (pushing against it from any side) will cause it to drop out of the press.
Can't see what size chuck is on that drill press either, but it doesn't look all that large. It might accept 1/2" drill bits (if you're lucky). Just doesn't look large enough to accept up to 5/8" bits. Granted MOST of the drill bits people buy that are above 3/8" are stepped down to go into 3/8" chucks.

Same as with kope, I have brass, round stock on hand that I scored at a scrap yard a while back. Some as small as 9/16" OD (IIRC). Others range up to 1" (might have some a little larger). I even have a section of brass hex stock that's 1" on the flats (almost 3 feet long). IIRC, the smallest OD aluminum I have is about 1". I have some that are at/over 4" OD as well (will be used for projects when I get a lathe again).

Some decent sources/sites for materials to turn:
Speedy Metals
Online Metals
Stock Car Steel
You can also find stuff on Amazon. Just compare prices with the other sites to make sure you're getting a decent price (from any of them). I usually factor in total cost (including shipping) when deciding. There are also stores/machine shops, around that you can sometimes get stock from. I've done that too when it made more sense to drive ~45 minutes to spend half the amount of money.

My previous lathe was a 7x14 with a .8" [IIRC] through spindle bore opening. I want my next one to have at least a 1" through spindle bore opening on it. Plus be significantly larger. Basically a machine I have NO place to keep right now. ;)

One thing to keep in mind for both mills and lathes. You want the bed level wherever you use it. Plus secured where it sits so that it doesn't "walk" on you. For tiny lathes, just bolt/screw it down. Larger machines typically don't need to be bolted down due to their weight. Such as my mill tipping the scales at 750# without a vise on it (or the DRO setup). A Bridgeport mill is typically at least 1000-1500 pounds by itself (for a small one).

Enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole. Don't worry, eventually you'll get to the tea party. We all have. Some of us are going back for seconds, thirds, fourths... [rofl2]

Fixed that for ya... ;)

Seriously, for itty bitty items/projects, provided you have all the parts needed to hold tooling it should be OK. I wouldn't expect any real precision from it though. See if it uses tooling/bits that are a size that's actually available without going through 100000 hoops to get. Nothing sucks more than being in the middle of a project, have the last of one type of cutter you need to use break, and you're still waiting for the additional/replacements to arrive.

Also, don't use that Shop Fox "cross slide" vise to attempt to "mill" on that drill press (or on about 95% of drill presses out there). Unless the drill chuck is on an arbor secured with a draw bar it will NOT withstand side loading. Well, it will handle it, but it will drop like your shots on prom night. Any MT drill arbors are held in with friction. Which means side loading (pushing against it from any side) will cause it to drop out of the press.
Can't see what size chuck is on that drill press either, but it doesn't look all that large. It might accept 1/2" drill bits (if you're lucky). Just doesn't look large enough to accept up to 5/8" bits. Granted MOST of the drill bits people buy that are above 3/8" are stepped down to go into 3/8" chucks.

Same as with kope, I have brass, round stock on hand that I scored at a scrap yard a while back. Some as small as 9/16" OD (IIRC). Others range up to 1" (might have some a little larger). I even have a section of brass hex stock that's 1" on the flats (almost 3 feet long). IIRC, the smallest OD aluminum I have is about 1". I have some that are at/over 4" OD as well (will be used for projects when I get a lathe again).

Some decent sources/sites for materials to turn:
Speedy Metals
Online Metals
Stock Car Steel
You can also find stuff on Amazon. Just compare prices with the other sites to make sure you're getting a decent price (from any of them). I usually factor in total cost (including shipping) when deciding. There are also stores/machine shops, around that you can sometimes get stock from. I've done that too when it made more sense to drive ~45 minutes to spend half the amount of money.

My previous lathe was a 7x14 with a .8" [IIRC] through spindle bore opening. I want my next one to have at least a 1" through spindle bore opening on it. Plus be significantly larger. Basically a machine I have NO place to keep right now. ;)

One thing to keep in mind for both mills and lathes. You want the bed level wherever you use it. Plus secured where it sits so that it doesn't "walk" on you. For tiny lathes, just bolt/screw it down. Larger machines typically don't need to be bolted down due to their weight. Such as my mill tipping the scales at 750# without a vise on it (or the DRO setup). A Bridgeport mill is typically at least 1000-1500 pounds by itself (for a small one).

Enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole. Don't worry, eventually you'll get to the tea party. We all have. Some of us are going back for seconds, thirds, fourths... [rofl2]
Some of us are bringing others along now.

Back
Top Bottom