Judge spares heroin dealer from jail

Completely insane from Salem News

SALEM — A Peabody man found with more than half an ounce of heroin hidden in a secret compartment of his Volvo three years ago won't have to serve time in prison after pleading guilty to charges of drug possession with intent to distribute.

That's because, a Salem Superior Court judge reasoned on Tuesday, Manuel Soto-Vittini was just trying to support his family, and was not an addict himself.

"This was basically a money crime," Judge Timothy Feeley concluded, rejecting a prosecutor's request for one to three years in state prison.

come on, you gotta be kidding! i'm in need of some cash and planning "something." now accepting resumes for partners, in particular a good wheel man. salem area, pm if interested.

Don’t get caught with a 15 rounder,,,, preban if you an prove it,,,, will still cost you
No money ,no crime,,,, you just gotta pay

There's a lot wrong with that article and much going on behind the scenes there. First the prosecutor reduced the crime from trafficking which has a mandatory prison sentence to possession with intent to distribute. That permitted the defendant to go unagreed with the prosecutor on a plea. Everyone involved knew that he was going to avoid jail time and that it was pure grandstanding for the masses to ask for prison let alone jail. Second, the main reason is because the guy will definitely be removed from the US at some point due to the conviction. He can not stay legally in the US now. Pretty soon he'll be picked up by immigration when he comes to court to see his probation officer. It's an aggravated felony for immigration purposes and that's a wrap. It's all a set up. Commonwealth doesn't pay to incarcerate and avoids a trial but gets rid of defendant.

Last edited:
How many heroin dealers are users? I'd guess not many. But the plot thickens...

"Now the court exercises its discretion to help him avoid deportation," said Buxton, who also told the judge she "could not disagree more" with the judge's rationale.

"This was not a one-time incident," said Buxton, noting police reports that suggested Soto-Vittini was making near-daily drug deals. "It's clear ... he was in the ongoing business of dealing heroin," the prosecutor said.

Hey judge, what about the families of the addicts who aren't being supported because of the heroin addiction that this guy is feeding?
What about all the other victims of all the thefts that addicts commit to support their habit?

What about all the cost to the public to treat the addicts and the general nuisance they create in society?
What about the diseases that are contracted and spread by addicts and the dirty needles they leave everywhere in public places?

Hey judge......you should be removed from the bench for misfeasance and put in prison for willfully aiding in the continuation of a criminal enterprise.

So it's ok he killed my friends by dealing that shit to support HIS family? huh? ok. wow.

Junk dealer should serve as many life sentences as he is responsible for....
Judge should be removed from the bench without pension.

This shit is getting old. Make HEROIN/OC DEALERS pay for the misery they cause.

There's a lot wrong with that article and much going on behind the scenes there. First the prosecutor reduced the crime from trafficking to possession with intent to distribute. That permitted the defendant to go unagreed with the prosecutor on a plea. Everyone involved knew that he was going to avoid jail time and that it was pure grandstanding for the masses to ask for prison let alone jail. Second, the main reason is because the guy will definitely be removed from the US at some point due to the conviction. He can not stay legally in the US now. Pretty soon he'll be picked up my immigration when he comes to court to see his probation officer. It's an aggravated felony and that's a wrap. It's all a set up. Commonwealth doesn't pay to incarcerate and avoids a trial but gets rid of defendant.
Your take on it makes me feel a little better. Thanks

**I'd still rather he was xxxx.

edited bc i dont want to break any rules i haven't learned yet

Last edited:
So, our laws only apply to illegals when THEY want them to? Or when it is in their favor? Have I got that about right?

Once again, reinforcing the theory that it is never over until the illegal wins.

There's a lot wrong with that article and much going on behind the scenes there. First the prosecutor reduced the crime from trafficking which has a mandatory prison sentence to possession with intent to distribute. That permitted the defendant to go unagreed with the prosecutor on a plea. Everyone involved knew that he was going to avoid jail time and that it was pure grandstanding for the masses to ask for prison let alone jail. Second, the main reason is because the guy will definitely be removed from the US at some point due to the conviction. He can not stay legally in the US now. Pretty soon he'll be picked up by immigration when he comes to court to see his probation officer. It's an aggravated felony for immigration purposes and that's a wrap. It's all a set up. Commonwealth doesn't pay to incarcerate and avoids a trial but gets rid of defendant.

Oh, if it were only that easy. Even felons get to stay if the judge says so. Yeah, he'll be picked up, but the judge is a whole different ballgame. Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's what I've been dealing with for a couple of years now.

My biggest issue is that he was doing this for a good long time, and the judge just felt bad for him, and by muddying and reducing the charges, and assigning no jail time, this guy gets right back out on the street instead of a prison cell and ICE detention facility.

Back
Top Bottom