Judge: Northwood chief must put name on resident's gun license

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Judge: Northwood chief must put name on resident's gun license

BRENTWOOD — A judge has ordered Northwood Police Chief Glen Drolet to include his name and title on a woman’s pistol/revolver license to carry after she sued over his refusal to sign it.

Attorneys for Drolet and Northwood resident Cheryl Dean squared off at a hearing Tuesday in Rockingham County Superior Court that sought to clarify confusion over whether the authority who issues the licenses is required to sign them.

Genuine question: If you were issued the license, then what does it matter if the card is signed or has some officer code on it?

Because it clearly states on the license 'Authorized Signature".

I could easily see a situation where a person could be carrying out of state, and get jammed up by some hard ass, anal cop saying
that the license wasn't valid because it lacked an actual signature...

"Nappen argued that the unsigned license could create serious legal problems for Dean if she tried to carry a gun in 28 other states that have agreed to honor valid New Hampshire licenses."

"DiCroce maintained that if another agency questioned the validity or authenticity of the license, all they would need to do is contact the Northwood Police Department to verify information"

Bull shit excuse.

Yeah, they can check, meanwhile you're being unnecessarily detained for an indeterminate amount of time while they verify the authenticity of the license.

What if the system is down?
What if they run a half ass department, and the only person who can verify the license isn't in right now?
What if the cops drag their ass, and verify the license when they have the time?

All that hassle could be easily avoided by simply signing the f***ing thing.

Is this chess? So now there is no more "waiting on the chief to sign it".

Nappen said he was pleased with the judge’s ruling.

“We are extremely happy with the judge’s decision. This decision memorializes the fact that the attorney general has stated that chiefs are not required to sign the license. This removes a step in the issuance of a license that makes it easier to get a license,” he said.

This is the kind of stupid issue that would come up in the state of Massachusetts. Kind of like when I went from my FID (Had when I was under 21) to my LTC I called to get my appointment to get printed/interview and the specimen who called themselves the dispatcher (the dispatcher handles the firearms clerk's appointments and scheduling in this town) legitimately tried telling me that they no longer printed at the facility that I'd have to go to IndentoGo and pay to get printed. Yeaaaaah, right. Needless to say after I decided to just go in person and walk up to their office all was fine. They were seriously about to try and double the costs of my license because they trying to dissuade some people from coming in. You know, not that they didn't have to already. Needless to say that is no longer their policy.

I just read this article. Anyone with insight as to why the chief is being difficult?

I know they have a mass approved anti gun rep up there too, by the name of Coursin.

Funny, I tried to post the UL article on their FB page, and got a popup that the post would be "reviewed".

Genuine question: If you were issued the license, then what does it matter if the card is signed or has some officer code on it?

Because if some a**h*** lawyer presents some bullshit evidence in a case against you that your license is invalid because of lacking a signature of the CLEO, then your liberty is in jeopardy.

Last edited:
In these small NH towns the guys/gals on the PDs only worry about three things: How many vacation days left this year, how many years till retirement and where they left their cars. Jack.

They only have 7-8 full time cops and 3 part time, and if you go to the station and no one is there, there's a phone at the front door
that connects to Rockingham County Dispatch. Business hours are 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday

So, yeah, I think it's a fair assumption from my previous post that if you get jammed up on a questionable CCW license in
another state, good luck on anyone picking up the phone at NPD to back you up at 2:00 AM or on a holiday weekend.

Northwood Police Department

Ah, he was one of the two that came to the open hearings in '17 to speak against constitutional carry, in uniform. He was the President of NH Association of Chiefs of Police. This must of been his protest.

New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police |

Most of our links to this are broken. Here is a search for him in our mega-thread with quotes attributed to him.

Search Results for Query: drolet | Northeastshooters.com Forums

Matt

ETA: I found one pdf of one of his quotes.

http://granitegrok.com/wp-content/uploads/SB12-UL-Police.pdf
Northwood Police Chief Glen Drolet, president of the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police, believes the change will make police work more dangerous.

Under the current law, officers arriving at a police call or making a stop have the benefit of knowing whether their local chief has issued a permit for someone to carry a concealed handgun, said Drolet.

"It was kind of our one leg up," Drolet said Friday. If that permit requirement is now eliminated, local police answering a call won't know if a gun might be involved.

She should rile up the locals and vote down the PD budget next year. That's what I would do if I cared about getting a PRL.

Sounds good in principal but it's pretty difficult to get regular residents riled up about stuff like this. Majority of citizens will just say things like "you just hate cops" or "but what about when something goes wrong... we should actually hire MORE cops"! Same thing if you go after the insanely wasteful spending in the school system.... "you just hate kids/ teachers/ insert victim here".

Poorly written article...

Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.

WHY???

Why was this woman singled out for not getting her license signed?

Seems likely he is protesting "shall issue", implying that if "suitable person" were still in the law, he would've denied.

"It was kind of our one leg up," Drolet said Friday. If that permit requirement is now eliminated, local police answering a call won't know if a gun might be involved.

After the state made it legal to carry a concealed loaded pistol or revolver without a license in 2017, DiCroce said Drolet was told by the Attorney General’s office that he wasn’t required to sign the licenses, but that if he chose to continue signing them, he must make sure that he was consistent and that all were signed.

I got these to back my statement. What do you have?

Ah, he was one of the two that came to the open hearings in '17 to speak against constitutional carry, in uniform. He was the President of NH Association of Chiefs of Police. This must of been his protest.

New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police |

Most of our links to this are broken. Here is a search for him in our mega-thread with quotes attributed to him.

Search Results for Query: drolet | Northeastshooters.com Forums

Matt

ETA: I found one pdf of one of his quotes.

http://granitegrok.com/wp-content/uploads/SB12-UL-Police.pdf
Northwood Police Chief Glen Drolet, president of the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police, believes the change will make police work more dangerous.

Under the current law, officers arriving at a police call or making a stop have the benefit of knowing whether their local chief has issued a permit for someone to carry a concealed handgun, said Drolet.

Well, there's this...

" Gunshot fired at NH police chief’s office

Chief Glen Drolet in Northwood said he thinks the gun was deliberately fired at the station on Sunday night.

NORTHWOOD, N.H
. — Someone fired a gun at a New Hampshire police station, breaking a window in the chief’s office and damaging a filing cabinet.

Chief Glen Drolet in Northwood said he thinks the gun was deliberately fired at the station on Sunday night.

He told WMUR-TV an officer taking a report heard a noise and found the broken window in the chief’s office. There was also a bullet hole in a filing cabinet. The bullet was found inside the cabinet’s drawer.

Drolet said it appears the shooter was on foot. Surveillance cameras are in the area.

Police are investigating."

Gunshot fired at NH police chief’s office

Whether that affected his decision or not, I have no idea.

This happened in 2012, he signed her license in 2015, constitutional carry kicked in in 2017.

I have no idea what his malfunction/problem is, but based on the info you posted, I'm guessing it's some kind of personal protest or statement, and
he got his pee-pee slapped for it.

This is ironic. I'm in Northwood right now reading this thread. BIL and my sister are sleeping, so I'll ask them tomorrow if their licenses are signed and if they know anything more about this.

I have said this many times over the years but it always bears repeating. America can't be saved until we deal with 3 of the greatest threats it faces, Democrats, Republicans and Public Employees....in no particular order.

It should read "Won't have the benefit of knowing if the involved party has a clean record and no history of violence."

Back
Top Bottom