JP vs. Timney AR-15 triggers

I'm looking for an after market trigger for my AR-15, and I'm torn between two: the JP fire control system and the Timney drop in unit.

I've heard excellent things about the JP fire control system from people on this board - I don't enough experience to install a trigger that needs even simple modification, so I'd send out my receiver for installation.

However, I've read good reviews about the Timney triggers, and since they're drop in modules I wouldn't have to worry about installation and shipping.

Can anyone offer some insight or compare the two for me?

I have a Timney unit in my AR15 and I love it, I would highly recomend them. Every single person who has ever shot my AR15... first words out of their mouth when they are done shooting "nice trigger".

JP offers two trigger units - a modular drop-in unit, and individual parts. The rolling banner at the top of www.fsguns.com mentions that Sept 27 is "JP Day" at Four Seasons, so I expect that will present an opportunity to check these triggers out in person.

I have the JP trigger. I installed it myself- not too bad of an install. Awesome trigger and equally awesome people/support. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

I tried the Timney drop in trigger and didn't like it, too much creep. I have both JP and Accuracy Speaks triggers in my ARs and love them. These are not the drop in types and required a little fitting. The Accuracy Speaks trigger is the only one I have ever used that will give you a 4lb trigger with a GI hammer spring. This is important if you are trying to get 100% reliability with a 22LR upper as the rimfire rounds are much harder to ignite than centerfire.

JP offers two trigger units - a modular drop-in unit, and individual parts. The rolling banner at the top of www.fsguns.com mentions that Sept 27 is "JP Day" at Four Seasons, so I expect that will present an opportunity to check these triggers out in person.

Hopefully they'll have some discounts also.

Consider Geissele as well. Their product is the standard hammer, trigger, sear format (not a drop-in unit). I just installed their DMR trigger in an AR-15 and the two-stage pull is just great. The first stage carries most of the pull weight while the second stage is a crisp light pull. I have my first stage at about 2.5 pounds and the second at 1 pound. Installation isn't much more difficult than that of a standard AR trigger / hammer / sear. Adjustment is via three set screws (sear engagement, second stage pull weight, and overtravel). First stage pull is adjusted by bending the trigger spring legs if necessary.

Called Four Seasons, the guy one the phone knew nothing about the JP thing, said I had to talk to Carl... I'll call back later, see if I can get him.

Hey guys,
I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Jay; I am the director of operations here at Timney Triggers. I just wanted to offer up a little information about Timney Triggers as well as answer any questions any of you may have in regards to rifle triggers. Timney offers a LIFETIME no hassle warrantee on ALL of our triggers. Our triggers are manufactured 100% here at our facility in Phoenix, AZ U.S.A. using only the highest grade materials including A2 and S7 tool steels. All wear surfaces are heat treated to mil-spec prior to being coated. Since we are on the subject of the AR trigger I will talk a bit about that model. Our AR trigger lever is EDM cut from A2 tool steel then heat treated to mil-specs and finished off in black oxide. We offer 2 types of trigger levers... skeleton and solid competition. Our AR15 and AR10 hammers are EDM cut from S7 tool steel, hardened to mil spec and coated in a teflon nickel finish. Our AR15 and AR10 trigger is a true drop in unit. No modifications are needed. ANYONE can install this trigger in under 20 minutes. Our AR trigger is the finest money can buy; we are so sure of this that we back our triggers with a satisfaction guarantee! If you buy it from us and you do not like it we will refund you your money...no hassle! Our triggers break crisp and clean... no creep or over travel. The AR15 trigger is available preset at 3lb, 4lb or 4.5lb.

A gentleman above made a comment in regards to his Timney trigger being creepy... Please contact us to correct this issue. We offer a no hassle warrantee...we will repair or replace it free of charge. We take pride in customer service and our products being top notch. We will take care of any issue that may arise.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions. [email protected]
www.TimneyTriggers.com.
I look forward to speaking with some of you real soon.

I have a Timney trigger in my AR, love it. very easy to install and if you use different lowers, it quick to transfer from one to another.

The trigger is very crisp and predictable, great for target shooting, it is also light and has a fast reset, so it work great for IPSC rifle match. Best of both world

Hey guys,
I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Jay; I am the director of operations here at Timney Triggers. I just wanted to offer up a little information about Timney Triggers as well as answer any questions any of you may have in regards to rifle triggers. Timney offers a LIFETIME no hassle warrantee on ALL of our triggers. Our triggers are manufactured 100% here at our facility in Phoenix, AZ U.S.A. using only the highest grade materials including A2 and S7 tool steels. All wear surfaces are heat treated to mil-spec prior to being coated. Since we are on the subject of the AR trigger I will talk a bit about that model. Our AR trigger lever is EDM cut from A2 tool steel then heat treated to mil-specs and finished off in black oxide. We offer 2 types of trigger levers... skeleton and solid competition. Our AR15 and AR10 hammers are EDM cut from S7 tool steel, hardened to mil spec and coated in a teflon nickel finish. Our AR15 and AR10 trigger is a true drop in unit. No modifications are needed. ANYONE can install this trigger in under 20 minutes. Our AR trigger is the finest money can buy; we are so sure of this that we back our triggers with a satisfaction guarantee! If you buy it from us and you do not like it we will refund you your money...no hassle! Our triggers break crisp and clean... no creep or over travel. The AR15 trigger is available preset at 3lb, 4lb or 4.5lb.

A gentleman above made a comment in regards to his Timney trigger being creepy... Please contact us to correct this issue. We offer a no hassle warrantee...we will repair or replace it free of charge. We take pride in customer service and our products being top notch. We will take care of any issue that may arise.
www.TimneyTriggers.com.

So can we get your employee discount?

Hey guys,

www.TimneyTriggers.com.

Jay,

Thank you so much for logging on and introducing yourself! I really appreciate your efforts.

While we have you here on the website, I'd like to ask a question regarding a large purchase of Timney triggers. Here at NES, the members with paid memberships have a bad addiction to group buys. NES members are currently waiting on a shipment of 200 AR-15 lowers. I'm sure that more than one of those members would be interested in a Timney trigger.

Would you be interested in offering a discount on a group buy for the members here? Feel free to reply here and PM me to discuss details.

-TonyDedo

I have the JP trigger. I installed it myself- not too bad of an install. Awesome trigger and equally awesome people/support. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.
Did you install the modular unit or the traditional?

Reliable sources tell me the JP modular trigger unit will be available for inspection at Four Seasons tomorrow.

Did you install the modular unit or the traditional?

Reliable sources tell me the JP modular trigger unit will be available for inspection at Four Seasons tomorrow.

I installed the traditional one- JP Fire Control Package (with speed hammer, anti walk pins)... no modular unit for me. I'm sure the modular unit would be a piece of cake.

FYI- the traditional unit is a little less money but does require some setting up. The trickiest was getting the timing correct.

There was a successful group buy back in 2008. I dunno if there'd be any interest / availability for another one. In order to get group buy access, you need to become a paid NES member.

Back
Top Bottom