John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match - July 31 - Harvard Sportsmens Club

Not to piss anybody off but I thought the match ran fine and was scored fairly last year. Why mess with success?

Just my 2 cents worth, I'm only interested in shooting something that don't shoot back

dave

+1 Plus those that run the game decide how it's played.... this is NOT a USPSA match.. it's a fun charitable event in memory of a good friend that was involved and helped a ton in all action shooting sports. I'm running my production gun and I welcome folks to bring their L10 guns to compete with me. We'll all go home with the same prize anyway. Matt bring your Limited gear and shoot in my division? ;)

PS I would like to get a final word on this so I can decide whether to shoot my Production gun in Production, or get out the Limited pistol.

PLEASE shoot limited! and stop whining!

The only stage Magazine capacity will matter is the USPSA stage.
AND
any reasonably intelligent human being can figure that out.

Please!
Remember the reason for this match,
is to
Honor John Kelly

With all due respect, Gary, you are wrong. I shot my Production gun and my Limited gun back to back on some steel stages in practice and the difference is HUGE. L 10 belongs in the same division as Limited because they use the same rules with the exception of mag capacity which is easy to deal with; limit everyone in Limited and L 10 to ten rounds. What's so hard about this?

Production shooters face restrictions on holster and mag placement (behind the point of the hip) as well as weight of the pistol (2oz over stock, I believe). Also single action autos are banned. L 10 shooters face NO restrictions. For the most part L 10 shooters are competing with 1911 style race guns (minus comps and optics) and Open holsters. As I said im my original post "the USPSA banned 1911s and clones from Production Division for good reason". If this match is to be run under USPSA rules, let's follow USPSA rules.

My objections are the result of hands on experience. I used both guns and rigs on the same courses of fire and the results were overwhelming. These guns do not belong in the same division.

PS I ran this idea by several experienced shooters and they all thought it was wrong, and that's putting it mildly.

For the Kelly Match you can shoot with whatever gun, holster, magazine placement, etc that you want... the only thing is you have to use the same setup for all stages. So no Open gun for USPSA, production gun for IDPA, revolver for PPC, etc. (This match IS NOT being run under USPSA rules, or IDPA rules or Steel Challenge rules...but we are using scoring similar to USPSA in that someone will be the winner of the stage in each division and they will get 100% stage points and everyone else will get a lesser percentage based on their performance in comparison to the stage winner.)

Pick one setup and use it for everything. The only thing we are going to keep are the rules for magazine capacity for each discipline. So, if you are shooting an Open gun with a big stick magazine you will only be allowed 10 rounds per mag for Walls of Steel and 10 rounds per mag (plus one in the chamber) for IDPA as their rules have these mag limits. Load your mags to capacity for USPSA (unless you are shooting Production, then it's 10 because that's USPSA's magazine capacity rule for that particular division).

As far as the divisions go, we are keeping the same exact divisions we had in last year's Kelly match - it was not an issue for Limited 10 to shoot in Limited last year so I did not anticipate an issue about it this year. The score sheets are printed the same as last year with no Limited 10 division and the custom scoring software is already setup for this from last year, also with no Limited 10 division.

A question was raised via a PM as to whether an 8-shot revolver would be allowed... Yes! Normally you would not be allowed an 8 shot revolver (unless you only loaded 6 rounds in it) for IDPA. I'm not going to make people with an 8-shot moonclip have to count to 6 and then reload or try to load an 8-place moonclip with only 6 rounds... This match is just for fun so who really cares if a revolver guy gets a couple of extra rounds in IDPA (just my opinion, for what it's worth).

As far a PPC barricades go, we don't have enough barricades to use on the other stages and to have a common PPC firing line so we won't use the barricades. If there is someone coming to the match who has access to PPC barricades and would like to bring them we would be more than happy to use them, but if we don't have them then we will make do. I'm figuring that the squad sizes with about 12-15 so I was hoping to shoot about 6 at a time for PPC to keep things moving, so if a half dozen or so PPC barricades make it to the match that's great, if not we won't use them. We are going to try and balance all the stages to avoid bottlenecks so we may not have an exact PPC course of fire, but something modified to accomodate this special match. We want to avoid making mobility challenged people to have to shoot in ackward positions such as prone, kneeling, sitting, etc so maybe we will have to modify the CoF. If we get the PPC barricades then we can adjust our plans accordingly.

Hi guys,

I read through the thread and would really like to paricipate. Although I have shot for a while, I have never been to a competative shoot of any kind. I joined this site to move beyong straight range shooting and do just what you guys have going on here. Looks like a shoot for fun and bragging rights more than a strict scored event???

So please forgive some questions that may have been answered in other responses, but I am not familiar with all the lingo and abreviations, that I read here.

I will be traveling so I would want to participate as much as possible, saw some limits on 1911?

I have a SW 1911 45ACP not modified in any way, comfortable and would love to use this weapon. Just got a Sig/Sauer 9mm P225 haven't shot this yet, but also can't wait to shoot this one. Which would be better to participate with??

Can you use more than one weapon???

Is this a good event for a brand new person??? I have no clue on these events. Range experience yes, competative shooting, none.

Is the cost $20.00 for all stages or each stage?? Stage probably not the right term??

Anyone have any tips?? Such as what to bring, I saw the 3 mags, safety equip, ammo. What about lunch, water??

Any other input at all would be apppreciated??

Again sorry if any of this has been addressed already, I just did not see it.

Thanks for tolerating new guy questions!!!

Taking a stab at it...
The 45 or 9MM... IMO whichever you have a strong side holster for and 3 mags. Also since you new to completive shooting.. Use the 1911 since you have more familiaity the gun.

Nope stick with one gun for the match.

This event IMO is geared towards new people and trying new things.. I shot my 1st ever USPSA stage at the last JK match..... FYI walls of steel is way fun!!!!

$20.00 for the event

Yup bring all those.. Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, camera and water:) AMMO :)

Hi guys

Safety is the #1 issue. Don't do anything until the range officer tells you to. Tell them that you are new when they call you up to shoot. Keep your gun in the holster until you are told to load it. Always keep the muzzle pointed at the berm, not the sky, your feet or the rest of your squad.
go slow. the RO is there to help you, let them

If you're shooting a 1911 (Single Stack division) I would suggest bringing as many magazines as you have. While 3 is enough for the IDPA stage, you will want more for the USPSA and Walls of Steel stages, and would make life easier for you on the Steel Challenge stage. But bring what ever you have. As mentioned before, this is a great match for new folks to see what some of the different 'Action Shooting' games are all about!

SSW1911A1: Nobody will care or remember you if you are the slowest person there. As Supermoto said, safety is the most important thing. Take your time, don't go first, and watch a few other shooters go through the stage before you go. John Kelly was a great guy who shot all the disciplines and took a lot of time with new shooters. This match a perfect way to get a feel for several of different flavors of pistol competition available locally. Let the SO/RO's and some others on your squad know that you are new and they will be happy to help you.

SSW1911A1, I have a right-hand belt holster I can lend you. I'll be an ASO on the IDPA stage. Let me know if you would like to borrow it. I'm a bit short on mag carriers, but I can probably lend you a couple.

PLEASE shoot limited! and stop whining!

The only stage Magazine capacity will matter is the USPSA stage.
AND
any reasonably intelligent human being can figure that out.

Please!
Remember the reason for this match,
is to
Honor John Kelly

Magazine capacity isn't an issue here as both L 10 and Production are restricted to ten rounds. Keeping race guns and open holsters out of a stock gun division is. I give up. The only reason I brought this up is that I thought it would be relatively simple to find a home for L 10 other than Production. Apparently this is not the case.

Hi guys,

I read through the thread and would really like to paricipate. Although I have shot for a while, I have never been to a competative shoot of any kind. I joined this site to move beyong straight range shooting and do just what you guys have going on here. Looks like a shoot for fun and bragging rights more than a strict scored event???

So please forgive some questions that may have been answered in other responses, but I am not familiar with all the lingo and abreviations, that I read here.

I will be traveling so I would want to participate as much as possible, saw some limits on 1911?

I have a SW 1911 45ACP not modified in any way, comfortable and would love to use this weapon. Just got a Sig/Sauer 9mm P225 haven't shot this yet, but also can't wait to shoot this one. Which would be better to participate with??

Can you use more than one weapon???

Is this a good event for a brand new person??? I have no clue on these events. Range experience yes, competative shooting, none.

Is the cost $20.00 for all stages or each stage?? Stage probably not the right term??

Anyone have any tips?? Such as what to bring, I saw the 3 mags, safety equip, ammo. What about lunch, water??

Scott, I should be there by 0830 latest. (Black Ford F150 Super Crew) I will be on the USPSA stage for the day. Find me before the match and I will go over the basic commands and what is expected of you as a shooter. Then, see if you can start on the USPSA stage and I will coach you through it. If you don't scare me, you are good to go for the day [smile]

Gary

Thanks for the offer to lend out a holster!!!

I have one, but appreciate you offering!!

See you Sunday

SSW1911A1, I have a right-hand belt holster I can lend you. I'll be an ASO on the IDPA stage. Let me know if you would like to borrow it. I'm a bit short on mag carriers, but I can probably lend you a couple.

Thanks for all the info everyone posted.

Really helps me out in getting ready to shoot my first event.

Looking forward to Sunday, see you there!!!!

Scott

Anyone guestimate what time this event will run until? I have to run some errands, but I'm interested in spectating for a bit if I have time.

You going to be wearing a skirt again? [hmmm]

[laugh] [laugh][laugh]

Actually... if it's really hot out... that might not be a bad idea. He might not like the idpa stage that requires you to jump off a rooftop chasing the bad guys that tried to break into your house though. [laugh]

[laugh] [laugh][laugh]

Actually... if it's really hot out... that might not be a bad idea. He might not like the idpa stage that requires you to jump off a rooftop chasing the bad guys that tried to break into your house though. [laugh]

If it's really hot out he's going to be tripping over his "gear".

These are some bad images... I have to leave this thread!

WellBye-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom