• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match - July 31 - Harvard Sportsmens Club

Taking a break for the night. Scores are about 75% done. Damn... forgot how long this match takes to enter scores for! Results will be posted tomorrow night (well, I guess tonight now :). Thanks for your patience.

Thanks Dave... It is an awesome undertaking to score 109 shooter for just one discipline. To have to change gears and score 5 different ones at the same match is a bear. No worries, when they are done they are done.

As mentioned, thank you to all the ladies and gents on staff that made the day great.

If I saw any room for improvement it was in the start time for shooting - If we were hot at 10 AM we could have finished a bit sooner (meaning getting out of the hot afternoon sun).

Looking forward to next year

6.51 seconds... He went left popper, right popper, right bird, left bird and then a clean Texas Star... He didn't do it alone though, after all I did load the gun for him!
That seemed to be the way to do it - I just missed the 2nd bird...

Reloading the Remington was a handicap to be sure - best to avoid it...

That was a lot of fun...

Next time can we get the ok to run it with an SMG? [laugh]

Oh and Dave - [bow]

That was a ridiculous time...

I had a great time at this event, first time shooting most of the divisions and it was a blast.
Once again using this type of event to get more familar with the rules and learning was a great experience.
Thanks to all that put all the effort required to pull a day off like that.
I will certainly be attending again and was happy to see the large turnout.

It was an honor to be able to work this match again, in memory of John, not just a great supporter of all shooting sports, but a wonderful person all around. And it was great to get to meet so many of you.

Hopefully some of you will begin to join us in USPSA! I saw some really good shooters!

Last edited:
Was packing for RM3G. Not everyone is afraid to travel more than 30 minutes from home for a match.
[wink] Just kidding - it, like the whole day was all in good fun. Skilled shooter or no, that time with an unfamiliar gun on an unfamiliar course is impressive - period. I stand by my earlier statement - [bow]

I believe Dave normally shoots a Remington shotgun.

I shot the stage several times at the end of the day because it was fun, for a good cause, and there was ammo left. My first two runs(one earlier in the day) were disasters involving reloads. I'd like to have a word with whoever designed the 1100; the button in the lifter as bolt release really sucks. My last run was 9.xx clean. This was doing going popper clay popper clay. I'm sure I could shave 2-3 seconds doing it the faster way, but the disaster factor is high. Dave's put in the practice to have the confidence to shoot it that way knowing he can pull it off.

I believe Dave normally shoots a Remington shotgun.
By "unfamiliar" I meant "not yours," but having one close to "yours" sure helps.

I have to agree on that loading mechanism, but there seems to be a rule that semi-auto shotguns need to have bizarre, cumbersome mechanisms of some sort - so many do...[thinking]

I have to agree on that loading mechanism, but there seems to be a rule that semi-auto shotguns need to have bizarre, cumbersome mechanisms of some sort - so many do...[thinking]
My Mossberg Jungle Gun has a button you have to push, and the lifting gate itself is stiff. Nasty all around.

My Mossberg Jungle Gun has a button you have to push, and the lifting gate itself is stiff. Nasty all around.
HK has some non-sense mechanism like that too... I got confused and angry trying to use it. [laugh]

I had a fantastic (for me) first run and quit while I was ahead. I had planned to go back, but everything else ran very long so I never got around to it...

We had that same shotgun stage as a side stage at a previous match. I shot it with my 870 pump starting 4+1. I was faster with the borrowed 1100, but not all that much faster. A lot of that is probably due to familiarity, however.

I brought my 870 but was too lazy to walk back to my car to get it. I also never shot a semi auto shotgun before, so I just decided to go with it.

Dave Bold is hard at work on the scores as I write this... we had 109 scoresheets turned in, which does not count several staff members who did not shoot the match! After paying for the shotgun ammo and the PPC targets we had $2,720 left over which will result in a donation of $1,360 to GOAL and $1,360 to the American Heart Association. Last year we had 77 shooter and we donated $916 to each charity and the funds from the gun raffles and T-shirts went to pay unpaid funeral expenses. Well done NESers!

What a great day we had today at the Harvard Sportsmens Club - IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Walls of Steel, PPC and another match with the SASS Cowboys... we had a little of everything here today. My thanks to everyone who helped put this together. Stay tuned to this thread for a link to the match results, which will be posted by Dave Bold on the Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford's Action Pistol website.
GOAL would like to say thank you to all that helped put on this great match in memory of Mr Kelly.

I had a great time and was sorry to have to leave before it was over. Looking forward to next year already!

i got there at about 9:15 and the targets were filling

up quickly with names. I enjoyed all of it, and want

to express my thanks to all who took time from

the their schedules to make this happen.

JimB

It was a great time and I thank all the SOs for their hard work.

It was especially cool to see Scrivener, who wound up on the same squad!

OK, finally finished the scores. Sorry for taking so long. Results are posted at the Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford's website (link below). There were 109 score sheets. Production was by far the most popular with 74 competitors.

When looking at the results, the best score for each division for each stage earned 100 stage points. Everyone else received a percentage based on how they did compared to the best score for that stage. Add up the total stage points you earned across all 5 stages, and you end up with your 'match points' total.

http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/results/2011_JKelly_FINALS.pdf

Note: I had a hard time reading some of the names for correct spelling. If I butchered your name and would like me to correct it, please PM me.

Back
Top Bottom