JB Weld? Are you kidding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remsport,

Since the MA law doesn't stipulate a method or even define a test for determining if a method is permament, you can't actually make that statement.

It is generally accepted that those methods fullfill the law, but even that is opinion, so stating that no other method fullfills the law is even further conjecture.

To answer a few of the questions:

The JB weld was not in the threads or around the circumference of the break. The break had been drilled and pined and then the JB weld had been used to cover the pin hole.

After much discussion My friend and I decided that the legality of this was too much of a gray area... but we were really curious to see if it would hold up under use. Luckily my friend has a pre-ban lower so we made use of the beautiful weather on Saturday and took it out to the range. It worked as advertised without issue. We put about 300 rounds though it.

Today we attempted to remove the JB Weld so we could weld it properly... and let me tell you this: It was harder to remove than other muzzle breaks I have removed which were pined and welded in the standard way. It was very difficult to drill out the JB Weld cleanly.

Whether or not this method of attachment meets the legal definition of "permanently attached" or not aside, in my opinion, in a practical sense, I think this is more permanent than an actual weld.

-MS

I don't have a clue of what would be considered legally permanent.

i would have to say if this is a real concern. have a gunsmith do it "what he chooses as a method of permanently attaching the thing would be great" then you tell the truth and say i brought it to a qualified gunsmith to permanently install it, I’m not someone qualified to tell him how to do his job or to do it myself!!!..

my auto body mechanic welded it? doesn’t sound good.

i did it and got the info on how to from NES? LOL

if your afraid and want to be safe, have a gunsmith do it. weather he does it right or wrong its better than you or anyone but a gunsmith doing it.

your asking if what is leagal, if you did it then its about that leagal i would think. every gun manual i own tells me im lucky to not need a gunsmith just to clean the thing.

Now ask yourself... do you really want to risk your freedom in order to save yourself 30 seconds of welding or soldering?

Exactly.

Since the MA law doesn't stipulate a method or even define a test for determining if a method is permament, you can't actually make that statement.

It is generally accepted that those methods fullfill the law, but even that is opinion, so stating that no other method fullfills the law is even further conjecture.

Also correct.

I don't have a clue of what would be considered legally permanent.

i would have to say if this is a real concern. have a gunsmith do it "what he chooses as a method of permanently attaching the thing would be great" then you tell the truth and say i brought it to a qualified gunsmith to permanently install it, I’m not someone qualified to tell him how to do his job or to do it myself!!!..

my auto body mechanic welded it? doesn’t sound good.

i did it and got the info on how to from NES? LOL

if your afraid and want to be safe, have a gunsmith do it. weather he does it right or wrong its better than you or anyone but a gunsmith doing it.

your asking if what is leagal, if you did it then its about that leagal i would think. every gun manual i own tells me im lucky to not need a gunsmith just to clean the thing.

I don't think you fully understand the issues here. Nor is ignorance of the law a defense.

Igonarance of the law?

I said i didnt know how or what would make it considered leagally perminatly attatched.

so then in that case i would bring it to a qualifide gunsmith. or if posible have the firearms company do it.

am i wrong for trusting a gunsmith more than i trust YOU!

your telling me, the gunsmith isnt good enofe and the firearms company doing it isnt good enofe..

your a bunch of idiots. im sorry... you people are stupid

your telling me, the gunsmith isnt good enofe and the firearms company doing it isnt good enofe..

your a bunch of idiots. im sorry... you people are stupid

Read the text of MGL 140-131m:

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

You'll notice that there's no exemption for "Well the store said it was legal" or "The gunsmith did it, so it must be legal." It's a felony to violate this statute. A violation, even if you avoid prison, could easily cost you your LTC or your gun rights for the rest of your natural life.

FYI, there's plenty of posts on here made by people who saw guns or parts being sold in Massachusetts gun shops which were obviously illegal. I've seen it with my own eyes at Mass. FFL's, and argued it with a few of them. They can get in trouble for selling it to you, but simply posessing it is a crime.

Learn the laws so you don't violate them.

...Now ask yourself... do you really want to risk your freedom in order to save yourself 30 seconds of welding or soldering?

Of course, some might argue if you are even talking about this, your freedom is already pretty much gone.[crying][halfmast]

your [sic] telling me, the gunsmith isnt [sic] good enofe [sic] and the firearms company doing it isnt [sic] good enofe [sic]. your [sic] a bunch of idiots. im [sic] sorry... you people are stupid

Yeah, um...well said. [rolleyes] (if scriv sees this, he's gonna have a stroke)

I am reminded of this classic (and relevant) exchange...

S&WM&P9: YOU ARE A CLUELESS MORON!

Martlet: Probably. That doesn't make my statement less factual, though.

i don’t care what scrive has to say against me using a gunsmith... i would rather a gunsmith be welding pinning etc something to my rifle than trying to do it myself....

that’s is my personal decision and I’m sticking to it......

Last edited:
i don’t care what scrive has to say against me using a gunsmith... i would rather a gunsmith be welding pinning etc something to my rifle than trying to do it myself....

that’s is my personal decision and I’m sticking to it......

I think you're still missing the big picture here. Not surprising after reading some of your posts, though.

ok ill take full responsibility of it!!!! I’m going to bring it to a gunsmith because if it comes to welding anything to my rifle i would rather him do it... his work is my responsibility the same as if i did it myself, ill look at it and if its a nice clean job ill take it home happy... when im hung, im hung knowing its not because i attempted it myself, I’m hung knowing i took it to a gunsmith looked it over and agreed to his work..... my responsibility...

im still sticking with the gunsmith option, you guys don’t like that and are jumping on me for it and im done trying to understand why?

from the first post all i said was basically i would rather take a gunsmiths advise than all of yours and his work over mine or all of yours, wow i have faith in you people huh NO.... i like my gunsmith and his work, i feel he is the man... from the first post i made i was in favor of him over all of you and all your advise.. if bring something to him i want to go with his advise.

How come no one outs all these seller that have been doing crappy work lately? Common sense.. the barrel gets hot so it's likely to weaken.

from the first post all i said was basically i would rather take a gunsmiths advise than all of yours and his work over mine or all of yours, wow i have faith in you people huh NO.... i like my gunsmith and his work, i feel he is the man... from the first post i made i was in favor of him over all of you and all your advise.. if bring something to him i want to go with his advise.

A couple things: first you should clarify by saying GOOD gunsmith, not just any gunsmith. A gunsmith who does bad work can get you killed or arrested. It'll be fun in court trying to blame him though, since he is "the man". [rofl] And second, if there was ever the need for a grammar nazi now is the time...

Worst. Advice. Ever.

I've run into several "gunsmiths" (and I use the term loosely here) that don't know crap about the laws.

"Having a gunsmith do it" does not amount to plausible deniability. The court isn't going to give a crap whether you, Barack Obama, or the Pope, attached your muzzle brake or whatever improperly.

-Mike

i didn’t know the extent on how bad of an idea that is. take it to a good gunsmith, i don't know what i was thinking.. ive seen allot of do it yourselfers gunsmithing and they make bad gunsmiths look good.

again im sorry you feel my advise is bad.. wish you the best of luck, either way you choose to do it is your choice and it is your rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom