It's 2022 - anyone still carrying a revolver?

Where exactly is the letter on the frame? None of my revolvers have the frame letter on them or in their model name/number.

Yeah, you're just supposed to know it. It's not an official thing. The letters evolved over time, through people using them organically.

J, K, L: small, medium, large. Then there's an N frame that's really big.

Yeah, you're just supposed to know it. It's not an official thing. The letters evolved over time, through people using them organically.

Exactly. It's freaking stupid. My eyes roll whenever someone goes on about the frame size letter.

Those are the official frame designations from S&W.

There was also an I frame, which the original compact guns carried. Those are collectibles now. There was also a C frame, but that never went into production because of development issues. A decent number of guns that they prototyped never went into production.

J frames are the (mostly) five shot compact revolvers. They came about in the early 1950s.

K frames are likely the most produced revolvers. They date back to the end of the 19th Century when Smith introduced the "Hand Ejector" guns. Those were the first Smiths with a swing out cylinder. That developed into the "Military & Police" revolver that became the Model 10 when S&W dropped names and went with Model numbers.

The N frames were the large framed guns developed to shoot 41, 44 and 45 caliber rounds. Dirty Harry's Model 29 is an N frame.

The L frame is a hybrid with a N frame, but with K frame sized grips. That was introduced in the early 1980s.

The X frame is the .500 and .454 caliber sized gun.

The Z frame is for the The Governor.

Model 60, pre 1990 .... Pachmayer grips, +P ammo (but not a steady diet of it)

Going to go BOOM every damn time.... is there anything as reliable as a (S&W) revolver? ( excluding Rossi and other junk)

I have a Model 13-3 with a 3" barrel that I carry from time to time. I also have a very nice Model 36-1 3" that carries very nicely in an IWB holster.

I believe it was the Model 14 that was the standard LAPD revolver back in the Adam 12 days. Originally with 6" barrels, but the armorers at the department cut them down to 4" at some point.

Regret getting rid of my snubbed. But I still carry my 4” 15-3 every now and then.

View attachment 559066

60-15 pro-serries, in a simple paddle holster.
Sweet little gun with nice balance between concealability and shootability.

178013_01_lg_1.jpg

I've transitioned towards revolvers as my CCW. Have a 327 TRR8 as well, that i just started carrying in a cross draw holster.

Revolvers are also much easier for my wife, who has a hard time loading magazines and racking slides.

20211227_111756.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom