It’s almost impossible to find hunting ammunition right now

Byron Dill, owner of Dill’s Outdoors in Bangor, has a hard time accepting the unavailability of ammo. “It’s bird season. The market should be full of No. 6 and 7 1/2 [shot], 2 3/4-inch, 12 gauge, 20 gauge and .410 [shells], but there’s nothing out there,” Dill said, noting that he would normally be buying six to eight cases of that ammunition every couple of weeks in the fall. “Right now, I’ve got zero birdshot on my shelves,” he said.

Byron Dill, owner of Dill’s Outdoors in Bangor, has a hard time accepting the unavailability of ammo. “It’s bird season. The market should be full of No. 6 and 7 1/2 [shot], 2 3/4-inch, 12 gauge, 20 gauge and .410 [shells], but there’s nothing out there,” Dill said, noting that he would normally be buying six to eight cases of that ammunition every couple of weeks in the fall. “Right now, I’ve got zero birdshot on my shelves,” he said.
need to start bird hunting with 5.56

So the OP is still hunting, only it’s for ammo
hqdefault.jpg

The only 30-30 I found was over $50 a box. Good thing I only need four rounds a year - 2 for zeroing, 1 for each deer.
I haven’t seen any 30-06 or 30-30 in a long time. Shotgun ammo has been in stock a few times this year but still scarce.
once I know what hunting load my shoots best I always keep plenty on hand.

Bob

View attachment 533645
If you still need 30-30 let me know. I have an online source that’s got Winchester Super X 100th anniversary 150 gr power points for $34.99. Free shipping (including to MA) on $99 orders. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Same vendor has various shotgun ammo in stock too.

Have you tried bow hunting?
Serious question.

I know it's not for everyone.

If you still need 30-30 let me know. I have an online source that’s got Winchester Super X 100th anniversary 150 gr power points for $34.99. Free shipping (including to MA) on $99 orders. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Same vendor has various shotgun ammo in stock too.
Thanks, but unless I need the lever gun for the zombie apocalypse I should be good for hunting until the market normalizes again. I'm too accustomed to paying around $22-24 for a box of Hornady.

Tell me about it! We would buy 1000rnds of 12 and 20 each time we were at Walmart a year ago. Now? HA! I had a hell of time finding 5 and 6 shot. And Turkey loads have been scarce too! Only stuff I was finding was $62-$65 for five rounds. I got lucky on Saturday when I picked up some 209s for my muzzle stuffer they had some Remington Turkey loads $20 for 10rnds

Tell me about it! We would buy 1000rnds of 12 and 20 each time we were at Walmart a year ago. Now? HA! I had a hell of time finding 5 and 6 shot. And Turkey loads have been scarce too! Only stuff I was finding was $62-$65 for five rounds. I got lucky on Saturday when I picked up some 209s for my muzzle stuffer they had some Remington Turkey loads $20 for 10rnds
Maybe hunters went out and stocked up.
My dad always had enough “hunting” ammo on hand.
As a kid I asked him why he had so much ammo for guns he did not shoot much. He said when you find a round that does well in your rifle tou buy as much as you can of the same lot number.
My dads math with the hunting guns.
At most 10 rounds a year- at the time we had this discussion he had 500 rounds for the 35, 30-30, 270 and 30-06
When he passed away he had 200 rounds each left …. Looks like he planned that well.

Have you tried bow hunting?
Serious question.

I know it's not for everyone.

i got 600 or so of #5 at 30cpr about 2 or 3 months ago - a 'diana' something. it shoots fine.
it is possible to find anything if one wants to search and has patience.

The time to find this year's ammo was about five years ago. Always keep enough to make it through the lean times.

Shoot some, and then graze the better priced stuff to replenish your stash. Eventually the current situation can end and you can make larger purchases.

well if you're only hunting white clays...
I dont think the “market” is as strong for the hunting people these days.
Especially if theres a lot of hunters buying one box a year
30 years ago I could round 20-30 hunters easily. Now I know one that actively hunts. He said this year he wants to use spears ……

410 was a pita 30 years ago. Those with 410s are usually smart enough to buy more than they will ever need. 28 gauge also

Agree, that is exactly why I don't own either one.....well except for the 12ga .410 insert that came with a set. There is some .410 floating around now and then but it's over a buck a round plus shipping. No Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom