It’s almost impossible to find hunting ammunition right now

Cant argue with his logic....other than he maybe went light on ammo!
For the hunting guns , never had a problem and he would always but random shit just in case. Honestly my dad would by almost any ammo if it was a good price.
For plinking/blasting/target
22lr I dont think there ever was a time there was less than 30k on hand.
30 carbine always several cans if surplus
Several thousands if rounds of 222 and 270 which we used for target shooting and varmint control.
Shotgun well lets say I dont ever remember my dad actually buying any and I gave the last of 1000 rounds of “birdshot” and 250 slugs away that was still around from the 80s to my most active hunting friend.
Trap shooting. I started teloading fir trap when I got into active ATA shooting and was shooting more than 1000 a year.
All I can say is there is no better time or reason to get into reloading.
Sure might be a bit of a challenge finding your components but once you do stock it as deep as you can. You can by 1000 rounds of X or spend $1000 on a modest set up and enough components for over 1000 rounds.

Ata rules state 1 1/8 ounce payload max.
So....if it was actually a match and you had 1 1/4 ounce high brass that would be cheating. More payload equals more probability of a broken clays.

Question...
If you got caught running a lower power factor ammo in an idpa match and got disqualified would you call the judges fudds?
Sure. Why not? LOL
Not a single worry about the load it self. They were worried about the net and not a single question was raised on any rules.

How is this a shock? I bought my son a .243 in the summer and it took me a while to get ammo, but that’s why I bought in summer. The shelves have been bare for a while, so when you find ammo you buy it.

Walmart had one box of 22’s in the cabinet last nite. I hope the ammo truck drivers get back to work soon😊
541lwm.jpg

After many phone calls and a decent amount of driving I was fortunate to find hopefully all I will need for this season. Which leaves me plenty of time in the off season to stack it for the future. If you were offering, I greatly appreciate that.
I was. And if any other hunter here is low and I have it, I'll be glad to help

If anyone has some extra 12 gauge 2 3/4 birdshot laying around I’d love to buy a box or two
a general location might help too, Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Cape Horn...

good luck. I'd offer ya some, but the only Cape im near, is being worn by all the superhero trick or treaters that'll ring the door bell tonight...

Sure. Why not? LOL
Not a single worry about the load it self. They were worried about the net and not a single question was raised on any rules.
We had a guy shooting 3" loads (probalby #4's or something, never checked he had a duck type gun) at trap the other night. The report from them was obvious......

After his round, we asked him nicely not to shoot them and offered him to buy at regular old prices, some 12 gauge low brass 7.5's from our stock we keep on hand for youth shooting.

He gladly bought them as he didn't know the rules, and realized he was shooting ammo that cost double for trap which is stupid.

Nobody called anybody a FUDD....or had hard feelings about it, he was actually very apologetic, because he realized other clubs might not be so forgiving.

Sure. Why not? LOL
And tell me why should they let you come and ruin their net for a 3 dollar round of trap, when everyone else follows the rules and doesn't??

Are you special?

Buy it cheap and stack it deep. I think the only hunting ammo I haven’t seen much of is non-toxic shot for waterfowl. Good thing I stocked up on Boss shotshells. :)

Last edited:
After many phone calls and a decent amount of driving I was fortunate to find hopefully all I will need for this season. Which leaves me plenty of time in the off season to stack it for the future. If you were offering, I greatly appreciate that.
Seriously???
Any ammo you need for this season should have been bought 3 years ago. This season’s ammo purchases should all be for the 2024 season.

Seriously???
Any ammo you need for this season should have been bought 3 years ago. This season’s ammo purchases should all be for the 2024 season.

Three years ago, when I had zero interest in going hunting.

Imagine what could be done if I had that level of clairvoyance.

BPS Foxboro was well stocked with most hunting rifle calibers on Sunday...Really just luck of the draw which day you go. Fed topguns 12 ga #7.5's were $85 a case I think. Not awful but not great either.

I took out a doe with my front bumper while out near Georgetown MA around 2007-2008.
No serious damage to the truck bumper. She ran into the corner, and her momentum tossed her and snapped her neck.

/\ Pretty much the same road side position I found her in.

Walmart had one box of 22’s in the cabinet last nite. I hope the ammo truck drivers get back to work soon😊
North Oxford Walmart had 12-20 boxes of Federal 325 count .22 for $21 Saturday night, with a 3 box limit. I bet there's some still there. They had various other stuff, but who the heck uses ".350 Legend" for anything in Massachusetts?

What a coincidence. When My son dropped off the dog this morning on his way to the station he asked me to make him 200 rounds of .30/30 practice ammo for an upcoming Vermont deer hunt. I feel bad for those just getting into shooting and reloading. For us old geezers who've been doing it for years, it's easy.

Not being able to find any hunting ammo is just 1 of the many reasons for reloading.
Definitely helped me but….

You have to have a stash of all components though. Like everything. Eventually you run out of something unless your a major hoarder of components.

For instance, ive never ever seen a run on 209 primers. Even the Obamascare you could get them easily Yet now its been nearly a year that you cant find them. Thats the last thing I thought there would be a run on. Now im almost out. Plus lead has gone crazy to the point where shells in 12 and 20 are cheaper to buy (target rounds) if you can find them.

The problem with these shortages is that eveyone then buys like they never will see stuff again. Its retarded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom