Isn't Red Dawn a great movie?

Let's see, ridiculous plot, horrible acting, moronic writing, constantly rates one star out of four by every rating service, panned by every critical reviewer I've ever read. I thought it sucked.
Just my opinion.

There are plenty of entertaining movies with bad scripts and bad acting. I liked Johnny Dangerously.....THERE I SAID IT!!! LOL

A good movie?!?!?!?!?!
This movie doesn't stand the test of time. It was cool
back in the day,but now it's unwatchable!!!!!
Ya, cool gun stuff, but it holds water like a strainer.

I agree with you, Jake, it's not a good movie...it's a great movie! [laugh] Yes, it's become a little dated with the passage of time and changes in world politics, but I like it because of the enduring themes and attitudes it contains.

I confess that I'm a sucker for TEOTWAWKI books and movies. Whether it's zombies, Cuban invaders, aliens, or a mutated virus, I love 'em all. The one thing they all have in common? Never give up, never surrender. I like to think that's a hallmark trait of Americans...or, at least, it used to be. Add in cool weapons and action and I'm in for two boxes of popcorn! [smile]

The Chinese won't need to invade, they'll just buy the country! Sad, isn't it?

They already own it, they're coming to foreclose. [thinking] [wink]

There are plenty of entertaining movies with bad scripts and bad acting. I liked Johnny Dangerously.....THERE I SAID IT!!! LOL

Danny Vermin: I got something to stop him.
Dutch: They made it for him special. It's an eighty-eight Magnum.
Danny Vermin: It shoots through schools.

They already own it, they're coming to foreclose. [thinking] [wink]

Danny Vermin: I got something to stop him.
Dutch: They made it for him special. It's an eighty-eight Magnum.
Danny Vermin: It shoots through schools.

Oh come on...the classic line is with the parrot......"You missed f*ckface!!!"

That movie has always been a favorite of mine as the scenes that show the people that live there, and the way they think, remind me very much of the Colorado of my youth.

For a small fee I could've corrected thousands mistakes in Soviet uniforms, tactics, and especially "Russian" language. I saw the movie many years ago and from what I remember I think some of the actors were native Russian speakers. Obviously, director and screenwriter didn't ask their opinion on techicalities.
It was 1984 (not a great era for movies, either technically or artistically (Brat Pack, anyone?)), and it was made with a $4 million budget. Of course it could have been better.

I heard they're remaking this. It's definitely in my top 5 favorites.

Oh dont worry - they will remake it sooner or later - Hollywood is totally out of ideas. They are remaking the karate kid for heaven's sake - whats next???!!

Well, it woudl be tough to remake "1984" and keep the title the same! [laugh]

Well, they never did make a movie for the novel 1984, but they did make an animated version of Animal Farm! It was just like the animated version of Tolkein's The Hobbit... not really on the book, but you got the jist of it. Hollywood would NEVER make a realistic rendition of 1984 because it shows EXACTLY what we have become today. Scary shit man.....

2nd day of basic training at Ft Benning's school for boys, the DI's marched the company to the post movie theater for a private showing of Red Dawn.

The movie has a special place in my heart.[smile]

AHHH! I have fond and not so fond memories of the Benning School for Boys. What year was this? BEAT YOUR FACE MAGGOT!

Well, they never did make a movie for the novel 1984, but they did make an animated version of Animal Farm! It was just like the animated version of Tolkein's The Hobbit... not really on the book, but you got the jist of it. Hollywood would NEVER make a realistic rendition of 1984 because it shows EXACTLY what we have become today. Scary shit man.....

Not to argue, (ok, to argue [smile]) but:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/

It was a horrible, depressing, just-plain ...ugh...movie.

In other words, an an excellent (possibly the most faithful-to-source movie I've ever seen) adaptation.

Still can't find Victory gin at the local packy, though....

2nd day of basic training at Ft Benning's school for boys, the DI's marched the company to the post movie theater for a private showing of Red Dawn.

The movie has a special place in my heart.[smile]
When it came out I was in 3-7 Cav, patrolling the East/West German border. It was shown at the border camp a number of times. We thought the Hinds looked pretty realistic compared to the real McCoy. It wasn't as popular as Caddyshack, but close....

I liked the Wolverine references, and also the charactor Colonel Ernesto Bella, the Cuban officer who comes to advise the Russians.

Colonel Ernesto Bella: [in the now-occupied Calumet, Colorado] It would seem necessary to win the support of the people. As our opponents used to say in Vietnam: "Win their hearts and minds."
General Bratchenko: And they lost, Ernesto... Morale is crucial right now. Keep the men in the secured areas. You'll see how they forget about these "Wolverines."
[Toni blows up a nearby "Soviet-American Friendship Center."]
Colonel Ernesto Bella: You were saying, Comrade?
General Bratchenko: Oh, shut up!

When it came out I was in 3-7 Cav, patrolling the East/West German border. It was shown at the border camp a number of times. We thought the Hinds looked pretty realistic compared to the real McCoy. It wasn't as popular as Caddyshack, but close....

I liked the Wolverine references, and also the charactor Colonel Ernesto Bella, the Cuban officer who comes to advise the Russians.

Colonel Ernesto Bella: [in the now-occupied Calumet, Colorado] It would seem necessary to win the support of the people. As our opponents used to say in Vietnam: "Win their hearts and minds."
General Bratchenko: And they lost, Ernesto... Morale is crucial right now. Keep the men in the secured areas. You'll see how they forget about these "Wolverines."
[Toni blows up a nearby "Soviet-American Friendship Center."]
Colonel Ernesto Bella: You were saying, Comrade?
General Bratchenko: Oh, shut up!

Poor Jennifer Grey before she was "baby in the corner"

Not as scary as "The Day After", the one from the early 80's made for TV...

I still remember being awestruck at the possibility that it could happen when this one aired. Glad we are out of that level now, but...with Iran doing it's thing now...who knows? Will we go through it again?

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [an alarm goes off in the Launch Control Center of the Minuteman III ICBM "Oscar Wing" at Whiteman AFB ] Standby to copy the message.
DMCCC Lt. Krause: Standing by.
Intercom: Flashing, flashing, flashing. Message follows: Alpha, seven, eight, November, Foxtrot, one, five, two, two... Delta X-Ray.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: That's a J.C.S. execution from the President.
DMCCC Lt. Krause: I agree, the message is valid, also.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Step One: Launch Keys inserted.
DMCCC Lt. Krause: Roger.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [both officers retrieve the Launch Keys and insert them into the console] Let's enable the missiles! Program Flight Switch enable?
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Flight: All. L.F.: All. Unlock Codes inserted?
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Standby...
[proceeds to enter the Unlock Codes]
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: ... Unlock Codes inserted!
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Enable Switch enable?
DMCCC Lt. Krause: [turns a knob on the console] Enabled.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Coordinate enable command?
DMCCC Lt. Krause: [phone on the DMCCC's console beeps; he picks it up] Yes, this is Oscar. All are enabled. Thank you.
[hangs up phone]
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [puts his hand on the MCCC Launch Key] Key Turn on my mark!
DMCCC Lt. Krause: [puts his hand on the DMCCC Launch Key] Standing by!
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Five... four...

Not as scary as "The Day After", the one from the early 80's made for TV...

I still remember being awestruck at the possibility that it could happen when this one aired. Glad we are out of that level now, but...with Iran doing it's thing now...who knows? Will we go through it again?

MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [an alarm goes off in the Launch Control Center of the Minuteman III ICBM "Oscar Wing" at Whiteman AFB ] Standby to copy the message.
DMCCC Lt. Krause: Standing by.
Intercom: Flashing, flashing, flashing. Message follows: Alpha, seven, eight, November, Foxtrot, one, five, two, two... Delta X-Ray.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: That's a J.C.S. execution from the President.
DMCCC Lt. Krause: I agree, the message is valid, also.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Step One: Launch Keys inserted.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [both officers retrieve the Launch Keys and insert them into the console] Let's enable the missiles! Program Flight Switch enable?
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Flight: All. L.F.: All. Unlock Codes inserted?
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Standby...
[proceeds to enter the Unlock Codes]
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: ... Unlock Codes inserted!
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Enable Switch enable?
DMCCC Lt. Krause: [turns a knob on the console] Enabled.
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Coordinate enable command?
DMCCC Lt. Krause: [phone on the DMCCC's console beeps; he picks it up] Yes, this is Oscar. All are enabled. Thank you.
[hangs up phone]
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: [puts his hand on the MCCC Launch Key] Key Turn on my mark!
DMCCC Lt. Krause: [puts his hand on the DMCCC Launch Key] Standing by!
MCCC Cpt. Stanton: Five... four...

Didn't they do a re-make of that movie? It might have been made for TV.

Didn't they do a re-make of that movie? It might have been made for TV.

"The Day After" was originally released on TV.

As for the plot of the "Red Dawn" remake, it sounds eerily similar, and just as terrifying as the background story to the novel "One Second After". Here someone detonates a nuclear weapon high over the central US causing a devastating EMP and shutting down power across the country. The Chinese, in the interest of humanitarian aid, land on the west coast and occupy the western US with no indication of leaving after the aid ceases.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom