Is This Possibly True - Military "Take-Home" Gun?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I'd like some verification if the story someone told me is even possibly true?

That a US Naval Reserve Officer would be allowed to keep a service pistol at his home?

Person telling me this is claiming to be a Commander in the active US Naval Reserve. That he is often "activated" and sent off (overseas) on short-duration missions due to his specialty (nuke weapons).

Therefore as a privilege of his rank and activities, he claims that the US Navy trusts him to keep the service pistol at his home in a lock-box.

Could there be any shred of truth to this (asking current and past military officers who might know) or do I need hip-waders if I run into this guy again?

Color me suspicious that this wouldn't pass the "Snopes test"!

I spent 20 years in the Navy and yes it could happen. He would have to go through all the right paper work and have it issued. It's far from normal, but it COULD happen.

I've been allowed to keep Pistols, Rifles, and a lot of ammo at my home when I was on active duty. If your CO says so, it's a go.

I would out of hand dismiss most people that said something like that however yes it is possible. Not quite sure why he is telling you though.

B

EDIT: Is it someone you know, or is it just someone you casually met?

Not sure about the Navy, but the Army has regs that allow certain personnel to store gov. weapons at home. Think CID or DPS or Shooting Team people.

Last edited:
It is merely someone that I've met a half-dozen times at various computer reseller events over the past number of years. Not sure that I'll ever see him again as most of the reseller events have gone "online" instead of in person and I'm no longer actively selling computer products.

Personally I think he was bloviating (to use a Bill O'Reilly term) a lot, pumping up his own importance. I have no idea why he chose to share that tidbit (or any of the others about where he'd been activated to - nothing specific but one can "read between the lines", etc. with me).

Part of the conversation was around the "unknown" wrt MA gun laws and storage of a gov't issued weapon at home. I have no idea if he can do this legally or not without a LTC. He has no other firearms per the conversation that I had with him.

Hmmm. In the Army we got a DA FORM 2818 FIREARMS AUTHORIZATION card as well as a letter on letterhead signed by the Program/Activity OIC. I'm sure the Navy has something similar.

If it's a question about legality, he will have some documentation to show the authorities if he is not licensed. If he is so important and the firearm is needed for his job, he wont want any hassles from the local Barneys when he is getting to his secret squirrel assignment and the Navy would have a procedure for establishing his legitimacy. I'm sure LEOs get stories about being in the CIA or a space shuttle door gunner all the time when they find someone unlicensed and carrying. The Navy is not going to want him detained on his way to a mission. Ask him to show you his last set of orders. It should clearly state that he is authorized to transport/carry firearms. If he says he doesn't have orders, ask him how he gets reimbursed for his travel expenses.

I bet he doesn't have anything. The part about it being a privilege of rank is total BS.

B

Last edited:
He has to have permission. The armory is accountable for every single piece of steel in that armory. If it's out, it's checked out... No way around that.

I spent six years as an active duty Army officer and I never heard of such a thing. I would be surprised if this were true.---ranger4-7
Well they might issue weapons to the Navy or Marines to take home, but they probably think an Airborne Ranger wouldn’t need them.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Unless things have changed, just telling you that he's on a Nuke team is a HUGE no no. With that statement he's either very stupid or very full of BS. I'm gonna go with BS. You don't become a Commander in that field if you have a big mouth.

I know Army CID was issued their firearms and kept them. Only to be carried for official duties.

Similar positions in the Navy, maybe. I'll have to check with the Boatswain's Mate First Class (wife).

Well they might issue weapons to the Navy or Marines to take home, but they probably think an Airborne Ranger wouldn’t need them.

Respectfully,

jkelly

True, they probably assume that we could bore a bad guy to death talking about how hard Ranger school was. [grin]

Unless things have changed, just telling you that he's on a Nuke team is a HUGE no no. With that statement he's either very stupid or very full of BS. I'm gonna go with BS.

As a former Naval Aviator, "I can niether confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on this ship or station. I can niether confirm or deny the ability of my aircraft to deploy nuclear weapons."

Any other statements, such as those made by this tool, would not only get his security clearance pulled, it would also result in charges being brought against him in a general court martial.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a former Naval Aviator, "I can niether confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on this ship or station. I can niether confirm or deny the ability of my aircraft to deploy nuclear weapons."

Any other statements, such as those made by this tool, would not only get his security clearance pulled, it would also result in charges being brought against him in a general court martial.

Exactly! This guys is full of BS.

I would have to join the "BS" line here. Gov't weapons are a touchy item and I never heard of anyone keeping a duty weapon at home. Rifles & carbines fall under NFA rules and would have to be locked in a safe in an alarmed building. I'm sure that even handguns would have to be stored in the same manner. Just think if that home was robbed and a military weapon went missing. I would hate to answer for that. I worked in a flight mobility section for 2 years and I was a weapons custodian for 124 M16's and 4 M9's. They were issued in the mobility line to deployment and taken straight back to the vault upon return...straight from the flighline or airport.

As a former Submarine Service Vet (USS Skipjack SSN-585), "I can neither confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on this boat or base. I can neither confirm or deny the ability of my vessel to deploy nuclear weapons."
I never heard of anyone taking any kind weapons home with them unless they were personally owned, and there were plenty of those. Privately owned weapons were placed in the base armory when you entered the base, checked out when you left.
I don't know if it would now be allowed, but from 1978-1984 I never heard of such a thing as being issued a take home weapon excepting possibly NIS.

I guess you were not secret squirrel enough. [thinking]
B
Bringing an issue weapon at home or transporting it in a POV while you're assigned to a unit is one thing. Being a Reservist and activated here and there for diverse assignments is quite another. When I meet vets with grandiose service histories, I always like to check them out on military.com.

As a former Submarine Service Vet (USS Skipjack SSN-585), "I can neither confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on this boat or base. I can neither confirm or deny the ability of my vessel to deploy nuclear weapons."//
When my brother was in the Marines, he walked past a sub at the pier one day. He asked an NCO nearby, "How deep can a sub like that dive?" "Can't tell you, Sir," he replied.
"Oh, well, about how fast can it go?" "Sir - that's like the depth."

Last edited:
Being a Reservist and activated here and there for diverse assignments is quite another. When I meet vets with grandiose service histories, I always like to check them out on military.com.

I agree. Like I said in one of my first post on this thread, I would dismiss almost all claims. However I have it on good authority, that it does happen for some. [wink]

B

I'd like some verification if the story someone told me is even possibly true?

That a US Naval Reserve Officer would be allowed to keep a service pistol at his home?

Person telling me this is claiming to be a Commander in the active US Naval Reserve. That he is often "activated" and sent off (overseas) on short-duration missions due to his specialty (nuke weapons).

Therefore as a privilege of his rank and activities, he claims that the US Navy trusts him to keep the service pistol at his home in a lock-box.

I don't believe that he is a commander in the Naval Reserve. He sounds very much like a compulsive liar. I would be very cautious in any commercial dealings with him.

The business about frequent short-duration missions of a nuke-weapon nature sounds like even more BS than the weapon story.

You might ask him whether he has the old-style or new-style ID card, and see what he comes up with. Stand by for no ID card, and more BS.

Unless things have changed, just telling you that he's on a Nuke team is a HUGE no no. With that statement he's either very stupid or very full of BS. I'm gonna go with BS. You don't become a Commander in that field if you have a big mouth.

+1

Another former Navy officer here hoisting the Bravo Sierra signal.

I work with a reserve Lt JG. I'll see what he knows next time I see him.

Unless he's prior enlisted, most Lieutenant (jg)s don't know shit from shinola about anything outside of their warfare specialty. Too junior with not enough time in the service.

Back
Top Bottom