Is this a tactic to get around the new rules in Connecticut?

I doubt that Middletown will take your application, but they should do the prints for you. The process requires (my understanding) that the local PD give you a temporary permit, that you then take to the DPS and get the state permit. Different towns definitely process in different speeds - and there is not much you can do about that.

I personally wouldn't mention any 'issues', just show up at the Milford PD with your fingerprint card from DPS and all other paperwork. Say you want to submit your application. They should take it without a problem, and if you haven't made any errors you should be set - of course will still have to wait for them to process the application....

I have my application notorized, my original certified birth certificate as well as a copy I made at work (will bring both with me), will have fingerprints done, checkbook ready to go. Hopefully they don't give me issues. I will jot down who I gave the application to as well as the date and time I handed it in. My dad is doing the same the same day so my fingers are crossed.

I apologize, I missed the part about the 2 month wait, assuming that means two MORE months after that to get the permit. That is not following their licensing rules, as far as I am aware. It's required for them to process it start to finish in 8 weeks or less. Some towns routinely take longer, some less. My town took I think 5 or 6 weeks.
Maybe ask to get an earlier appointment. You could "remind" them of the 8 week turnaround requirement.
[thinking]

Yes, they are saying I have to wait two months from now to meet and get fingerprints done, THEN if I have everything needed I can submit my application. Then it will be another 6-8 week wait for a verdict.

Last edited:
I seem to recall another Milford resident having the same problem. It was either here or CTShooting.com . You've little choice in some aspects of this, but you can do what is possible to expedite it. I'm curious as to how it turns out.

It took 12 weeks for me to get mine in 2009, in Middletown -- and the PD was extremely helpful throughout the entire process and seemed supportive. It was a very positive experience, other than the time involved.

This all is why I'm thinking that sending the app in via USPS, certified, with a return receipt might be a way to go.

you will have documentation of when it is delivered and avoid any confrontation

I'm not saying i'm convinced this is the way to go. But its an idea.

Thoughts??

one other thing. little tweaks to the process like that used by Milford are the kind of things that racists can use. "We just want to meet you". Then if you are brown or black, it gets "lost".

I can see all kinds of abuses with this kind of process.
But I guess this could never happen since no cops I've ever met have been racist. ; -)

A Lt. from the State Police left me a message after he contacted Milford PD. I don't have to meet with the Chief. It is an appointment with the Permit Officer to get fingerprinted and submit the application. So that makes sense. The whole 2 month wait to do so doesn't. I left him a message mentioning it seems unreasonable to wait two months to submit the application. I also asked that if I had my prints done in Middletown, should I be able to submit everything after that to Milford that day. He seems nice and well informed so I will wait to talk back with him. I am not looking to cause trouble or stirr the pot. I just want to get this done the way the state says I should be able to.

Here is a recap of everything I posted on another board. The bold type is where I left off on here. It seems like I will be waiting the 7 weeks for my appointment.

"Took the NRA course last Sunday, have everything needed to apply except the fingerprints. Called my local PD and said I need to get printed. I was told I need an appointment with the Permit Officer and will get printed as well. The appointment is to go over the application and make sure I have everything. I said OK and then found out the next available appointment was the last week in April! I made the appointment.

I then read the petition that towns can't require interviews, letters of reference, medical records, etc. So I emailed the State Police inquiring about the wait for a meeting that I thought wasn't necessary. While waiting for a response I called the Special Licensing and Firearms division and the fingerprint office in Middletown and mentioned that it seemed that my town was backed up and if I was able to do prints there. They said yes.

This morning a State Police Lt. called me and left me a message (at this point I thought I had to meet with the Chief). He mentioned I didn't need to meet with the Chief and that the Permit officer in my town would call me to set an appointment for prints and to move this along.

The permit officer did call me earlier and I told him I wanted to apply and didn't understand why there was a 2 month wait to get printed and why did I have to meet with him to submit the application. I mentioned that others who have taken the course were able to submit their apps right away. He said it was an understaffing issue.

He said that they do 2 permit appointments a day and they are backlogged. I asked what the meeting was for and he said it was for an interview, copying my license, checking over the app, etc.

At that point I brought up the petition that passed stating towns couldn't require interviews, medical releases, and letters of reference. He mentioned that was correct. He also mentioned that I had to do prints in my town. I confirmed that he was saying I couldn't go to Middletown and get my prints done and then bring it all to my local PD and submit it without meeting him first. He said that was correct.

I asked if I was able to do prints at Middletown anyways and he said no. I had to do them at my local town. I said thank you and that I would keep the appointment. I was not looking to make the permit officer upset in any way, although he seemed a little annoyed by me. Maybe because State Police called them when I emailed them.

I am NOT trying to make an issue out of this. I just didn't think a meeting was required to apply for the permit. You hear one thing from the state and then another from your town. It looks like I will be waiting for my appointment for the next 7 weeks in late April. I just hope he doesn't hold this email/phone conversation against me. I was just trying to find out why the delay, meeting and the hold up to apply. Not trying to stir the pot.

I just want to apply for the temporary permit like any other lawful citizen.
"

Your permit officer is bullshitting you.

You do not have to get the prints done by the town you are applying to.

So now you are faced with a decision, one which I predicted. Do you want to push the issue, or do you just get your permit?

I don't have time to look at the statute now, but the instructions on the temporary permit provide the following instructions:
Complete this form and submit to the appropriate local authority . . . along with the below . . . Completed state and federal fingerprint card with check payable to DPS.

Nothing is said about who must do the fingerprinting.

THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

I'm going to make an offer here.

Anyone who lives in Milford and wants a pistol permit and is willing to go to the mat on this, I will give you an NRA pistol class for free.

By "to the mat" I mean, refuse to wait, and submit your application with fingerprints taken by either another municipality or the state police. If they refuse to take the application, mail it in with a return receipt. That will be the documentation that starts the clock ticking for when you go to the Bd of Firearms Examiners.

By Free, I mean a free group class.
You also need to agree to give regular updates to the group via the Northeast Shooters forum.

Don

Yeah, this is not new. The fact is, people who work with children (bus drivers, school teachers, daycare providers) all need to get fingerprinted. If one of these folks were to ask most people would probably bend over backwards to accommodate them. Get your fingerprints from another station or even the DPS itself and then just bring them in to your local PD and if they complain kindly ask them to take the 5 min. to RE-DO them.

Back
Top Bottom