• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the Tide Turning in Great Britain

Garys

NES Member
Great Britain has formally recognized the right to self defense.

Home owners and “have-a go-heroes” have for the first time been given the legal right to defend themselves against burglars and muggers free from fear of prosecution.

Apparently the "just let them have what they want and don't resist" school of thought is being rethought.

Will restoration of gun rights be next? Probably not, but it's certainly a start. I wonder what will happen in five years if the statistics show a dramatic decrease in crime?

It came as it emerged that homeowners could have to wait up to three days after reporting a crime to see a police officer, according to a leaked draft of the Policing Green Paper.

THREE FREAKING DAYS?

Be sure to read the entire article and the comments. Especially #2 from victim in waiting Joshua who believes that guns will only make the matter worse.

They will be able to use force against criminals who break into their homes or attack them in the street without worrying that "heat of the moment” misjudgements could see them brought before the courts.

Misjudgements? If I'm attacked and I defend myself, it is not a misjudgement.

They will be able to use force against criminals who break into their homes or attack them in the street without worrying that "heat of the moment” misjudgements could see them brought before the courts.

All I can say is WOW. You are legally permitted to defend yourself if you are attacked in the street??? [rofl]

68. Posted by James K on July 17, 2008 10:41 AM

Mr.Davies (18),

It would appear if you looked at history, the Americans got the idea of building a country on genocide and slavery from their original government which would be that of the UK during their colonial period. I suppose next time someone threatens the UK we should call on say a country like Zimbabwe to come save our rearends. I am sure they will be as accommodating as the Yanks have been two times in our past, or maybe you would rather our official language be German.

weibchen,weibchen,weibchen.....[thinking]

207. Posted by Roger Sweet on July 16, 2008 08:26 AM
Yesterday came home to find druggies on my doorstep on ringing 999 was informed they could not attend to assist me gain entry to my legal premises.The police operator enquired if I had asked them "to move please" surely the police are there to protect us and enforce law and are being paid by us with public money towards their salaries and excellent pensions

Mental note to self: practice "El Presidente" drill some more...

edit: oops... need to practice reading comprehension more! I thought that the quote had mentioned three "druggies"...

The Government strongly supports the right of law abiding people to defend themselves, their families and their property with reasonable force. This law will help to make sure that that right is upheld and that the criminal justice system is firmly weighted in favour of the victim.

Since when?[rofl]

"Dealing with crime is not just the responsibility of the police, courts and prisons; it’s the responsibility of all of us. Communities with the lowest crime and the greatest safety are the ones with the most active citizens with a greater sense of shared values, inspired by a sense of belonging and duty to others, who are empowered by the state and are also supported by it – in other words, making a reality of justice.

Must have heard about the courts decision in the Heller case and realized how numb their society has become![hmmm]

About bloody time they put that right...I was in London Monday and Tuesday this week. Papers were all full of the knife crime issue the youth gangs are inflicting on the country. Even the unarmed yobbos can't get a good hiding as the police would go after the folks who did it, even in self defence. Way to go UK. Now get gun rights restored!

Saw the article a couple of days ago, but didn't really feel it was "the tide turning," but thanks for posting it up.

Negotiator said:
knife crime

I was discussing this with a coworker who's been to London multiple times recently, and he was making fun of the way that they seem to put the emphasis on the weapon (knife) and the fact that the action committed with the knife is illegal (crime) instead of the fact that an actual *person* is committing the crime *with* the knife. If you can, picture this in the most Monty Python-esque way possible. It went something like this:

Reporter-voice: And for the tenth time this week, another man is cruelly made the victim of knife crime. Ma'am, you say you witnessed the entire incident - can you please describe what you saw?
Woman-voice: Well, the attacker just walked up to the victim and stabbed him. It was terrible!
Reporter: Stabbed? No, no...I think you mean that the man was made the victim of knife crime, correct?
Woman: Well yes, I supposed. I mean, it's not like the attacker was even provoked, he just walked up to the poor man and stuck his kni...
Reporter: Made him the victim of knife crime?
Woman: Yes, that's what I said. He was stabb...
Reporter: Made the victim?
Woman: YES. With a kni...
Reporter: Of knife crime?
Woman: :: sigh ::
Reporter: Well, let's go to Robert in the studio, where we will discuss with with our police correspondent the best method for removing the knives from the street in an attempt to reduce the incidence of knife crime.

I [laugh] even though it's [sad2].

I was discussing this with a coworker who's been to London multiple times recently, and he was making fun of the way that they seem to put the emphasis on the weapon (knife) and the fact that the action committed with the knife is illegal (crime) instead of the fact that an actual *person* is committing the crime *with* the knife. If you can, picture this in the most Monty Python-esque way possible. It went something like this:

It just returns to the typical thinking of taking away the weapon and everything will just be OK. In this case, take away the gun and people just move to knives.

Situations like that always remind me of panic over martial arts "weapons" in the 80s. Oh, we have to ban these dangerous weapons such as the tonfa, nunchaku, and kama. Eventually someone pointed out an interesting tidbit about these "weapons." Upon takeover of the island of Okinawa by the Japanese in 1872, the ownership and public practice of edged weapons was prohibited. In order to circumvent the new restrictions, the kobudo discipline was founded. Many of those items regarded as dangerous weapons were originally farm tools. Take those away and I guess we'll just go back to the classic Louisville slugger.

My personal favorite is the art of the boat oar:

http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/013/004/index.html

Need a license for those now too I guess.

Back
Top Bottom