Is my AK doomed?

So here is the deal. I have a Romanian WASR-10-63. Laugh if you want, but I put an Aimpoint with a Midwest Industries Rail on that sucker.

Flash forward and I notice a considerable amount of rush accumulating on the firearm, including the barrel underneath the rail.

So I gotta take it off and get in there to clean this puppy up, problem is, I must have gone overboard with the lock tight and now I am left with 3 screws that are stripped, I got the rest of them out, but now I need to get these stripped screws outta there.

How am I supposed to do this? I was thinking of drilling them out, but have never done it before and am worried I may drill into the barrel.

Thoughts???

So here is the deal. I have a Romanian WASR-10-63. Laugh if you want,

I'll laugh because you think we will laugh. I have a WASR and love it.

Try to Dremel them out and then stop putting Chinese slave made, American Rambo bullshit on Russian rifle.

the screws on the rail itself???

IIRC the midwest rail clamps onto the barrel with set screws and then bolts together? you might be out a rail, but the rifle should be fine, cut that thing off.

Flash forward and I notice a considerable amount of rush accumulating on the firearm

Which one ????

344_rush-limbaugh-5-things-you-didnt-know_flash.jpg

geddy-lee.jpeg

pwd_super_rush.jpg

You will probably damage the rail, but the above suggestion to use a dremel would be best. You can carefully grind away the stripped heads of the screws until you can remove the rail or better yet remove the rail area around the stripped screws. You'll want to leave as much of the screw leftover as possible.

A little heat with a soldering iron applied directly to what's left of the screw may soften it up. Use vicegrips to work the screws loose. Careful not to mar your AK- you can put some foil between the AK and vicegrips, might be a bit warm for masking tape. If the heat won't do it, superglue solvent may work. Acetone iffy...

If you don't have enough screw to grip, I'd suggest a trip to a gunsmith. Good luck!

What I usually do with a stripped screw is drill a small hole in the center of the offending screw and tap a slightly oversized Torx bit in there. Saved the day on many a small fastener at work.

Also, heat is your friend. Heat softens Loctite. A small torch would work the best but probably damage the finish. A heat gun should do the trick though.

Loctite turns to a plastic in the absence of oxygen, heat will melt it, but it will re-harden as it cools. If you can, cut a flat head slot with a dremeland unscrew, or if they aren't terribly stripped heat and melt the loctite and unscrew

Loctite turns to a plastic in the absence of oxygen, heat will melt it, but it will re-harden as it cools. If you can, cut a flat head slot with a dremeland unscrew, or if they aren't terribly stripped heat and melt the loctite and unscrew

^ This.

Ahhhm, they make screw extractors just for this purpose?

^ Plus This.

You might be able to use an ez out bit - Screw Extractors | Bolt Extractor | Square Easy Out | Spiral Easy Out

I would try to heat it up a bit to break free the thread lock.

^ Equals this.

Heat it up and use and EZ Out.

You simply grind/cut/smash the tacti crap off your rifle and keep it the way it was meant to be. There is a reason why that junk does not belong on an AK.

I've said it a bunch of times and I'll say it again... if you can't shoot the rifle effectively the way it is, get an AR and all the helper crap that goes with it.

You simply grind/cut/smash the tacti crap off your rifle and keep it the way it was meant to be. There is a reason why that junk does not belong on an AK.

I've said it a bunch of times and I'll say it again... if you can't shoot the rifle effectively the way it is, get an AR and all the helper crap that goes with it.

But where will my flashlight, laser, and cup holder go

Multiple magdumps then remove with fingers.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

If you live in the Lowell area or Groton area ill help you get them out man. What has been suggested in this thread works but if you don't feel good about it don't do it. screw extractors would be best but I don't even have those.

Take off the aimpoint and drink a bottle of vodka, while hammered beg Mikhail Kalashnikov for forgiveness and maybe he will lift the curse on your rifle.

Back
Top Bottom