Is my AK doomed?

What you're saying is impossible. An AK and anything that touches it is indestructible.

looks like you're another mechanically retarded person.

I bet you buy or "build" AR-15s.

Nobody's perfect.

So here is the deal. I have a Romanian WASR-10-63. Laugh if you want, but I put an Aimpoint with a Midwest Industries Rail on that sucker.

Flash forward and I notice a considerable amount of rush accumulating on the firearm, including the barrel underneath the rail.

So I gotta take it off and get in there to clean this puppy up, problem is, I must have gone overboard with the lock tight and now I am left with 3 screws that are stripped, I got the rest of them out, but now I need to get these stripped screws outta there.

How am I supposed to do this? I was thinking of drilling them out, but have never done it before and am worried I may drill into the barrel.

Thoughts???

follow ray's advice:

You simply grind/cut/smash the tacti crap off your rifle and keep it the way it was meant to be. There is a reason why that junk does not belong on an AK.

I've said it a bunch of times and I'll say it again... if you can't shoot the rifle effectively the way it is, get an AR and all the helper crap that goes with it.

and he's right about the AR fact- if you can't land AK iron sights, get something "easier" to line up with your eyes. You gotta have good mechanics to line up an AK to your eye sight- it's the nature of the beast. The sight radius is shorter. The sight posts / slot is smaller. It's more difficult.

And if you screwed some gay ass shit to your ak, cut that shit off. If it's "rusted" or if your screws are stripped an you're actually ****ing worried that pansy ass shit.... it sounds like an AR is right for you.

Last edited:
btw, if this is you "rail" you didn't do it right

PM248-2.jpg

attaching things via set screws to your barrel is dumb as hell. I only mention this because I saw a WASR at The Great Four Seasons with a Gay As AIDS "rail" like this hanging on the wall.

These are pure bullshit. I'm assuming that this could be your problem. Take a picture and share it with the dopes in this thread. Or buy a rail that at attaches to the receiver rail mount on the left hand side of your rail, near the back of the receiver. That's a good, sturdy spot to mount an optics rail to.

I notice a considerable amount of rush accumulating on the firearm, including the barrel underneath the rail

Proper storage could have prevented this entire headache. I don't think the OP cares cuz he hasn't posted on here at all. Maybe I can buy it cheap and give it a happy home.

Well first I think we're missing an important piece of info. Did you use RED Loctite or BLUE? It makes a big difference.

Red can only be removed with heat - or sometimes with impact tools. Remember - this stuff is designed to keep the screw/nut/bolt from backing out under vibration, etc. So think propane torch if its the RED stuff. If its blue you can probably get it out without heat using a screw extractor. But being that screws that hold rails are typically small - this will be very delicate work indeed. Again - heat will help here.

I would use a dremel too - BUT I would NOT grind off the screw head. What I would do is use a cutoff wheel and cut a slot across the screw head. You are basically turning the stripped head into a flat head screw. Next - heat. Use a soldering iron as others have suggested or a propane torch if able. Then take a flat head screw driver and remove the screw via the slot you just cut. Expect to damage the rail with the cut off wheel. Consider that the cost for lesson learned.

So here is the deal. I have a Romanian WASR-10-63. Laugh if you want, but I put an Aimpoint with a Midwest Industries Rail on that sucker.

Flash forward and I notice a considerable amount of rush accumulating on the firearm, including the barrel underneath the rail.

So I gotta take it off and get in there to clean this puppy up, problem is, I must have gone overboard with the lock tight and now I am left with 3 screws that are stripped, I got the rest of them out, but now I need to get these stripped screws outta there.

How am I supposed to do this? I was thinking of drilling them out, but have never done it before and am worried I may drill into the barrel.

Thoughts???
Sorry to hear about that. It is the main reason why I buy American guns. Easier to ship back to factory for repair. You might wish to sell that rifle and put the money towards a stainless Ruger Mini 14 like I did. FID legal, rust-resistant and fires the NATO-standard 5.56MM round. The newer models, like the one that I own, are very accurate.

Why on earth would you attach even more shit to a Ak barrel? The siide rail with a bp02 mount works fine. I had the kobra red dot sold by autovat in action several years ago. It was a great set up. Sadly I sold the red dot to fund other things.

stripped screws need to be removed carefully with a screw remover which involves a pilot drilling through the center of the screw. If you are at all concerned, have a good smith do it.
Oh, and yes, you should have bought an AR LOL

Why on earth would you attach even more shit to a Ak barrel? The siide rail with a bp02 mount works fine. I had the kobra red dot sold by autovat in action several years ago. It was a great set up. Sadly I sold the red dot to fund other things.

Cause he likes MORE SHIT ! Ah, its fun to modify a gun....

The kid should drill it out, start with a 1/8" bit for a pilot hole for a larger bit to get it free.

Or dremel it ... I use my dremel on almost all my builds from my mill ... a good touch-up tool.

Cause he likes MORE SHIT ! Ah, its fun to modify a gun....

The kid should drill it out, start with a 1/8" bit for a pilot hole for a larger bit to get it free.

Or dremel it ... I use my dremel on almost all my builds from my mill ... a good touch-up tool.

I like shit hanging off my guns also, yes guilty of that....but why mount things onto the barrel? With all the mounts available for the AK I cant possibly see why you would mount to the barrel?

Back
Top Bottom