Is it worth it to join American Firearms School?

I like how clean the range itself it, except that it is not a 24/7 facility. is it worth 275 bucks for the first year? Anyone here a member at AFS?

I still need to go check out Angle Tree, and while I have friends who are members at MRA, MRA is a freakin hike from Attleboro.

I dunno what to do *sigh*

I’ve been a member of AFS for most of the last 4 or 5 years, my membership expired this last December. Even though I can hear my home range from my windows AFS was a convenient place to shoot out of the weather, particularly so during the winter season.

The down side to AFS is the blocked range times that depend on what LEO group booked the range and an increase in exposure to less then safe shooters that comes with shooting at a commercial range. Also you are limited to shooting at a 25 yard range.

Over all the people are pretty good to deal. I don’t know much about Angle Tree.

Respectfully,

jkelly

The benefit is that it is clean, convenient, and indoors. Personally I'd rather be outside, but in a region with a volatile climate such as this, it's nice having a place to go when it's cold and raining.

So yeah, I think its worth it for those reason alone.

I wouldn't compare it to an outside range or one that is far from where you live, even if they had a lot more going for them.

I was a member of afs. The problem with them is that they close the range constantly for LEO use...it was a real problem for me. Mansfield is the best range in the area...they allow you to train, however, there is no indoor range.

Quote:
Mansfield is the best range in the area...they allow you to train, however, there is no indoor range.

There is no indoor range yet. They are working on it last I knew.

Last edited:
I was an AFS member for a year and really liked the facility. Very good for pistol shooting. Also nice to have a fairly well stocked store out front with ammo and targets.

If you don't plan to shoot there frequently, just pay as you go. I believe they charge $20 per visit to use the range for non-members. I was a member for a few years, but I didn't renew because I don't go to that particular club all that much b/c of the lack of outdoor facilities. It's great when the weather is bad.

Shooting on the indoor range requires you to have to set your target to the back wall automatically. To shoot a shorter distance, you must go to the outside range. skip, IMHO.

If you want to shoot targets at closer distance at Ames you can either shoot at the heated 300 yard range or the heated Plinking range or show up Thrusday night for a pistol practics

I was a member of afs. The problem with them is that they close the range constantly for LEO use...it was a real problem for me. Mansfield is the best range in the area...they allow you to train, however, there is no indoor range.

I was a member for a year but didn't get there enough to make worthwhile. About the LEO use a couple of times I stopped in without checking the schedule and even though LEO were shooting they let me in if they had a lane available.

I went there yesterday for the first time. I would say join a gun club. The outdoor ranges are nice. People were just holding guns with the mags in pointing them all around. I siad somthing at first then it kept on happening so I just left. I had fun and am glad I didn't get shot, but I think I will be joining a gun club so enough.

It's the same price as most outdoor clubs. I am looking into a club, and for the same price there is a skeet & trap, and rifle & pistol, camping, trout pond, club house, archery.

plus nothinbg beats going to the range on a nice 75 degree day and just shooting and relaxing.

that place is far from relaxing.

I am a member at
http://www.tauntonrifleandpistol.org/
There is a new 24 hour indoor range.

How is the facility and members? Would be close to my commute and would be nice to have a range to stop in after a long day at the office.

Also, do they allow rapid fire? The range close to me in Rhode Island will not allow that for pistol training [sad]

I used to be a member there, and made some good friends while I was there. AFS used to submit information (names) of people who shot there to the ATF. The manager told me this directly, but he said not to worry because they were mostly looking for out of state information. Well I now live in RI. I decided I would not be a member their until this policy was put to an end. I am not sure if they still do it or not, but it was the whole reason why they needed to see you drivers license when you shot there.

Other then that, it is clean, nice, local and great when the weather is rough.

Last edited:
How is the facility and members? Would be close to my commute and would be nice to have a range to stop in after a long day at the office.

Also, do they allow rapid fire? The range close to me in Rhode Island will not allow that for pistol training [sad]

The ANG has fired machine guns on the AFS range. Note also that various law enforcement groups use the facility and it held the 2nd of its usual 3 USPSA winter matches yesterday.

I don't think rapid fire is an issue.

0000007.gif

Last edited:
You save a significant amount on the rentals (might be free even) and a dollar off boxes of ammo, similiar savings on accessories.

I've been a member for 1 1/2 years. Definately the best indor range I've been to. As mentioned before they allow rapid fire. Both jacketed/unjacketed ammo allowed. Good ventillation system. You aren't required to pick up your brass. No insect swarms while shooting in the summer.

The member discount on ammo/rentals is minor, 10% or so. Only paper targets allowed. The only thing I really miss having is a 100 yd rifle range.

Overall I like it.

The advantage AFS has in those areas is due to the fact that it is a for-profit commercial establishment whereas, besides BGR and S&W SSC, are very rare in MA. Most clubs rely on volunteers to keep things running.

Back
Top Bottom