• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

is it ok i am deaf and i have a LTC?

i am deaf since i was 5 years old... i have a license to carry in PA some people think i shouldnt have it cuz what if a cop comes up behind me cuz he sees the bump on my wait and asks me if i am carrying and i dont answer (he dont know i am deaf) will that be a dangerous situation ? or suppsoe he tried to talk to me and theres a misunderstanding? i am profound deaf hearing aid dont help me i turned down the cochlear implant.

It could potentially be a dangerous situation but I don't think you should be denied your right to carry because of a lack of hearing. Anyone who tells you otherwise (in my opinion) is a fool.

Just remember how a police officer is going to react and try to be in their place if something does go down. We almost had what could have been a tragic incident locally with some officers and a deaf man because the man was walking towards officers while being told to stop and keep his hands in the air. In the end it turned out the man was deaf and was trying to get close enough (in the dark) to read their lips so he could understand what they were saying. In the end no one got hurt and IMHO neither the officers (who never drew weapons) nor the man were at fault and everything turned out ok.

Out of curiosity why did you turn down the implants? I know that they can be extremely cost prohibitive but I know someone I used to work with that got them and he has nothing but good things to say about them. He also lost his hearing at a young age but due to menigitis. I know he used to have trouble using phones with his old implant but the newest implants made cell phones and non-amplified phones completely usable for him.

Last edited:
I suppose there may be some additional risk, but I would think that there are numerous hazards that you face every day as a deaf person that those of us with normal hearing don't have to deal with, so carrying just adds a little bit to that list.

+1 for exercising your rights! Just an idea - and I dont know how this would work in every situation, but how about carrying something with a pre-printed note explaining that you are deaf and you have a LTC, etc, maybe putting it on a lanyard or somewhere out of the "Traditional" bad to reach towards with your hands locations that get a cop nervous? Just an idea, but I'm sure that someones come up with something better and tried 'n' true before.

i am deaf since i was 5 years old... i have a license to carry in PA some people think i shouldnt have it cuz what if a cop comes up behind me cuz he sees the bump on my wait and asks me if i am carrying and i dont answer (he dont know i am deaf) will that be a dangerous situation ? or suppsoe he tried to talk to me and theres a misunderstanding? i am profound deaf hearing aid dont help me i turned down the cochlear implant.

Anyone who thinks you should lose one of your God-given rights just because you're deaf can go straight to hell.

+1 for exercising your rights! Just an idea - and I dont know how this would work in every situation, but how about carrying something with a pre-printed note explaining that you are deaf and you have a LTC, etc, maybe putting it on a lanyard or somewhere out of the "Traditional" bad to reach towards with your hands locations that get a cop nervous? Just an idea, but I'm sure that someones come up with something better and tried 'n' true before.

Not a bad idea but i think he's probably better getting on his knees when he sees cops shouting at him and putting his hands in the air. Unfortunately the first contact with officers is going to be verbal and they're going to be yelling commands for you to comply with. Now maybe the cops will get the idea if he's walking away but if he's facing them and reaching for anything anywhere it's going to escalate the situation. My only advice is to do anything and everything to make the officers feel that they aren't threatened to the best of you abilities.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks you should lose one of your God-given rights just because you're deaf can go straight to hell.
+1

Hopefully you won't have any trouble, but I'd love to see an ADA case on this[smile] if you did...

p.s. the hypotheticals on "mis-communication" are endless regardless of hearing impairment... Seems like much ado about nothing...

+1, Amen.

Not a bad idea but i think he's probably better getting on his knees when he sees cops shouting at him and putting his hands in the air. Unfortunately the first contact with officers is going to be verbal and they're going to be yelling commands for you to comply with. Now maybe the cops will get the idea if he's walking away but if he's facing them and reaching for anything anywhere it's going to escalate the situation. My only advice is to do anything and everything to make the officers feel that they aren't threatened to the best of you abilities.

Yup, you're right, I forgot to include compliance, but was thinking more about the second half.... So, to ammend my suggestion, knees with hands in the air, maybe then have a "life alert" type bracelet with the info that will be clearly visible to them with instructions/where to look for full info, etc, that doesn't require "digging" in clothes/pockets, etc to figure out whats going on.

I'm not sure of a way to keep ID in a hidden location outside of in a lanyard which could bring more attention to you with shit bulging out from under your shirt. I'd say if you're approached by a cop and you see him point to your hip or you think it has to do with you carrying I'd say just keep your hands on your head and let him figure it out if he'd like. So overall I'd say just try to be in the least threatening position if an officer were to walk up to you and I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure there will be an understanding and things will get worked out. Great job standing up for your God given rights. We are all in this together and just stay safe out there. Keep your composure if confronted and all will end well.

bracelet%20home%20page_clip_image002_0020.jpg

I Need Help bracelets website

They can print these types of things with whatever you want it to say. I think it would get their attention while they secure your hands (While theyre above/behind your head)

I had a brother that had a pistol permit in Mass years ago and he was 100% blind from birth. When he went down to apply it kind of freaked the cops out. They asked why he wanted one and he said so he could buy a gun and have the enjoyment of owning, feeling and collecting. He did go on to say to them that even though he couldn't see it that didn't mean he couldn't appreciate the way the action worked or how it felt in his hand ect. They did issue him and the reason was collector. At that time they didn't know of any other blind person in mass being issued one. That didn't mean he shouldn't have one.
I had taken him shooting one time at my gun club he would point the gun and I would stand behind him and look over his shoulder and direct him to get on target. I am sure he would have been able to hit a man size target in 21 feet no problem. The scarry thing is he could have done it in the dark just from sound. The range office at the club that day walked over and asked "is that guy shooting blind ? " I said yes. He had been watching and just said its nice to see someone that can over come a handycap and still enjoy the sport.
He wasn't shooting fast and was keeping all shots going in a safe direction and not spread out. Not like some a**h***s I have seen bump firing.
Now to answer your question I don't feel its wrong at all for you to have a LTC. I do believe if your going to carry the gun it should never show for that reason I prefer a sholder holster.

I'm not sure of a way to keep ID in a hidden location outside of in a lanyard which could bring more attention to you with shit bulging out from under your shirt. I'd say if you're approached by a cop and you see him point to your hip or you think it has to do with you carrying I'd say just keep your hands on your head and let him figure it out if he'd like. So overall I'd say just try to be in the least threatening position if an officer were to walk up to you and I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure there will be an understanding and things will get worked out. Great job standing up for your God given rights. We are all in this together and just stay safe out there. Keep your composure if confronted and all will end well.

yeah good idea maybe i should wear a sign around my neck saying i am deaf dont tase me bro. just kiddin[rofl]

I think the risk of a deaf person getting in a traffic accident, either through getting hit by a car they didn't hear, or not hearing a horn, is much greater than any risk of a misunderstanding with a policeman over a concealed firearm.

If society decides it's OK to let you drive, I think it's stupid to then debate whether to restrict your rights to carry.

I had a brother that had a pistol permit in Mass years ago and he was 100% blind from birth. When he went down to apply it kind of freaked the cops out. They asked why he wanted one and he said so he could buy a gun and have the enjoyment of owning, feeling and collecting. He did go on to say to them that even though he couldn't see it that didn't mean he couldn't appreciate the way the action worked or how it felt in his hand ect. They did issue him and the reason was collector. At that time they didn't know of any other blind person in mass being issued one. That didn't mean he shouldn't have one.
I had taken him shooting one time at my gun club he would point the gun and I would stand behind him and look over his shoulder and direct him to get on target. I am sure he would have been able to hit a man size target in 21 feet no problem. The scarry thing is he could have done it in the dark just from sound. The range office at the club that day walked over and asked "is that guy shooting blind ? " I said yes. He had been watching and just said its nice to see someone that can over come a handycap and still enjoy the sport.
He wasn't shooting fast and was keeping all shots going in a safe direction and not spread out. Not like some a**h***s I have seen bump firing.
Now to answer your question I don't feel its wrong at all for you to have a LTC. I do believe if your going to carry the gun it should never show for that reason I prefer a sholder holster.

Wow. Just wow. Good for him.

About 25 years ago, we were presented with this very scenario in a "Shoot/No Shoot" movie. Yes, a movie as in reel to reel.

There was a guy who obviously wasn't listening to verbal commands, while at the same time, walking towards you quickly and reaching for something "in a furtive manner".

90% of my class shot the guy. When the movie continued, it showed the guy pulling out his wallet and opening it to show a card stating that he was deaf.

It was obviously presented to us to induce a "bad" shoot, but also to make us think about the power we had on our hip.

My advice to you, would be to stop what you are doing as soon as you ID the officer. Try to look as non-threatening as possible. I would not put my hands up or over my head if that would risk showing my carry piece.
After all, he/she may want to talk to you about something else.

Or, you could always order your shirt here: http://crazytees.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_73&gclid=CIPmmoPkl5oCFQOeFQodDD3z-A.

I think they do custom work.

I need to ask a couple questions before I can answer your question.

1. Are you a legal US citizen?

2. Have you been convicted of a felony?

3. Do you have a history of mental illness?

if you answered these like this... 1. yes 2. no 3. no then you are just like the rest of us and have the 2nd amendment right to carry. anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. What's next... you can't have a child because you might not hear it cry???

I feel that being deaf makes you more in need of a firearm. You are more likely to not hear an attacker coming. Some deaf people are mute as well and can't call for help.

It makes no difference. You carry for protection.

The idea that being deaf causes anymore problems than being able to hear is absurb - there are many who hear who have the potential for being in dangerous situations/reactions that could cause a "bad" situation as well...and we see that every day.

We can't begin to know your experience and how you have lived your life, and how it has sharpened your other senses.

Whether you carry or not has everything to do with how YOU feel about it all. I would say that how you react to carrying deserves all the consideration you have from your vantage point, just as those who hear from theirs.

Just because someone have a physical limitation doesn't mean they give up their 2A rights.

Anyone who feels you should be limited because they feel you are disabled needs to get their brain out of the middle ages and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

You are experiencing this in PA? I thought you had to be in the deep south in some backwater parish to find that level of ignorance.

PA is an open carry state too IIRC.

The question no one else has asked is, "Do you sign?"

Most everyone has seen signing in the movies or on tv. I don't see how ANY cop could fail to make the connection if you stand still and make obvious (and non-threatening) signing gestures with your hands.

Even if you don't, you could easily learn enough basic gestures to cover this situation.

I would be careful not to just fake some gestures that LOOK like signing in the belief the cop can't sign. He PROBABLY can't, but if he can, he's going to realize that you CAN'T and figure you're trying to pull a fast one on him.
This will potentially make your situation even more dangerous than it otherwise would be.

And, clearly, if you are worried about being "made", then you need to move beyond mere concealed carry into covert carry or "deep" concealed. A little slower to draw, but done right, it practically takes a strip search to find the gun.

Regards
John

Your rights should be no different then any others.. of course you should be able to have your LTC.

Thats a good story, I'm glad he still got the chance to enjoy the sport despite the handicap. The sad thing is he probably had better groups than some of the sighted morons I've seen at the range.

If you can protect yourself or someone else in an emergency,you could have a dick growing from your forehead and it would not bother me.I'm not deaf but you would be the best to answer how you should respond to that situation.Your other senses are more accute than most other people I would imagine,so your response will be different than others that can hear,not wrong just different

i

It's not quite as "cut and dry" like that.

Personally I don't believe that being deaf should disqualify you from having an LTC.
Disabilities shouldn't unless they directly impact your ability to excercise that right.

Like, if you were blind with an LTC.

Stupid question: If you are deaf and fire a gun, do you wear hearing protection?

I don't think that any disability should disqualify anyone from owning a gun. Whether or not you are able to utilize the gun is an entirely different thing.

And I applaud your courageousness. Good for you!

I think it's excellent. No problem at all with me.

Some people can't see a damn thing without glasses, no one ever questions them etc.

It's all about the person using good judgment.

The only people who should not have guns are violent criminals and the truly insane I guess.

Back
Top Bottom