• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is a Glock 30 a good carry gun?

After exposing my mother to the disease, she got the bug, and wants to carry a gun. She's been looking at a glock 30, Gen 4, in 45 acp, to conceal carry. Was wondering if anyone who has owned one liked carrying it, and if it would be good to carry for a woman.

As good as any. I would find somewhere you can let her try a bunch and see what she likes. How does she intend on carrying?

It is an awesome carry gun (even though I hate Glocks) but it is a light weight pistol that shoots 45 so most would describe recoil and stout.

If Mom is cool with recoil that is great. If not the 19 in 9mm may be a better choice and is also a great gun

It is an awesome carry gun (even though I hate Glocks) but it is a light weight pistol that shoots 45 so most would describe recoil and stout.

If Mom is cool with recoil that is great. If not the 19 in 9mm may be a better choice and is also a great gun
Yes, she is cool with recoil, she shoots my desert eagle all the time lol!
@snackbar - no, she has never shot one, but she has shot a glock in a 40s&w (glock 22 I think?)
@mikemike - she intends on IWB, and carrying wherever she can, she was originally going with a usp .45, but it was too big to carry in the summer, when not wearing thick clothing. The 30 is pretty light IMO, but I think the recoil is snappy and sharp, and has a lot of flip, even more so than my desert eagle, which has almost 0 muzzle flip.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, which holsters would you recommend, and do you think it would be comfortable to carry for long periods of time?

Does she want to kill her potential attackers? If so it's perfect? It's compact but not to small, 45acp goodness, tons of holster options it's fantastic!

I found it a little too chunky, and I'm pretty chunky myself. [smile]

Recoil is really not that bad. I think the double recoil spring has something to do with that.
Ya, the Deagle hardly has any recoil because of the gas system and its weight.

G26 or a G19 might be better but either way she should try one out first

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Can she operate the slide and tolerate the recoil? If she is new to handguns, perhaps a Glock 19 would be a better choice.

No! It's a great carry gun!

10 rds of 45 ACP in a subcompact Glock. c'mon man

Last edited:
In my never ending quest for the perfect carry gun I'm carrying a 26 these days. I have a 30 I've been working with at the range before moving to that. But it is chunky compared to the 26. Difference in recoil is not a factor for me.

IMHO it's more than just the gun for effective carry:

Gun
Holster
Belt
Clothing

G26 or a G19 might be better but either way she should try one out first

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Not the g26. The short grip won't let her get her whole hand on it.

**I'm about to generalize** most women don't have the hand strength of men. Allowing her to get her whole hand on the gun is key to recoil control and fast shot to shot recovery.

Re G19 vs G30 - my inclination is the G19 for a couple of reasons.
1) Recoil - even though she may be able to handle the recoil, the G19 will be easier to shoot fast. In a gunfight, its about throwing lead downrange fast with adequate accuracy. If she can shoot a 5yard target 8 times with a G19 in the time it takes her to shoot it 5 times with the 30, you have a quandry.

2) 15 vs 10 rounds

3) G19 slimmer, easier carry with a shorter reach to the trigger.

4) cheaper 9mm ammo

She really should try both. Ideally you would run her though some defensive drills that pushed her to shoot as fast as she can with reasonable accuracy.

Not the g26. The short grip won't let her get her whole hand on it.

**I'm about to generalize** most women don't have the hand strength of men. Allowing her to get her whole hand on the gun is key to recoil control and fast shot to shot recovery.

Re G19 vs G30 - my inclination is the G19 for a couple of reasons.
1) Recoil - even though she may be able to handle the recoil, the G19 will be easier to shoot fast. In a gunfight, its about throwing lead downrange fast with adequate accuracy. If she can shoot a 5yard target 8 times with a G19 in the time it takes her to shoot it 5 times with the 30, you have a quandry.

2) 15 vs 10 rounds

3) G19 slimmer, easier carry with a shorter reach to the trigger.

4) cheaper 9mm ammo

She really should try both. Ideally you would run her though some defensive drills that pushed her to shoot as fast as she can with reasonable accuracy.

They make non plus one pinky extensions for the 26 and it's quite comfortable to shoot. The 30 is basically the same size as the 19.

Both are equally as good and both make great carry guns, I rotate between the 19, 26, and 30 for no good reason other than what I feel like carrying that day.

I have a 30 SF it is rather large for carry. Used to carry a G23 and the 30 seems larger.
Have a G27 for daily and G30 collects dust.

I got the xds over the 30 mainly cause it was infront of me and I had the cash lol .
It really comes down to her body frame if she can hide the grip.

Personally shooting the 30 is more comfy then the xds. The xds grip is like a cheese grater. Which is good for self defense since you get a good grip on it. I have rough hands from working with sharp metal all day lol.

I thought about getting a 21 and cutting the grip down to use glock 30 mags with 21 floor plates. I don't have trouble concealing the barrel . With my build grips stick out.

I've been carrying my xds in my pocket or in a cheap nylon holster for my 1911. Once I get some cash in gonna go with a holster like colddayinhell has.
Before I got my xds every time I shot with him I'd pocket his gun. Lol.

I love Glocks for reliability but I have to agree: they leave quite the footprint. IMHO, if your mom is inclined to carry it during the hot summer months (when fewer and less bulky clothes are worn) then go for it. If not, consider something not as thick for better concealment.

A lot of it depends on her build, her wardrobe, and how she intends to carry.

I have a friend who is a larger woman. 5'6" and probably pushing 200. She wears loose, blousy thin hippie chick style sun dresses and a thin sweater or blouse most of the time. Its always unbuttoned. She mentioned that she was now carrying a Glock 19. I asked her where it was, pointing out that her dress didn't have a belt or pockets. She opened up her blouse and there was the Glock in a shoulder holster with 2 spare mags under the opposite side.

I was astonished that she had come up with a comfortable way to carry that was completely unnoticeable, worked with her wardrobe and allowed her to carry a gun with a capacity of 16 rounds and 34 extra rounds under the opposite shoulder.

Don

Thanks for all the advice!
well see what happens, and who knows, maybe she will find something else she likes.
And even if she does end up buying it, and not carrying it because she doesn't like it, its another range gun for me hahahaha!!

Not going to lie i own a 30sf, but i can't hit with it lol.. The grip is even larger than the 21 due to the short fat grip. I shoot the 21 much better. I can shoot the 26 well too
My 19 has replaced it for right now.
I pick up my 19 and i can hit pretty much every time. and its not punishment one handed.

Have since relegated the 30 to the safe till i get some rubber talons and try to get better at it.

Back
Top Bottom