Is a Free float Tube/handguard the way to go?

Mass-diver

NES Member
I read a few good threads on NES related to this topic, but I thought espically with so many of you guys putting together uppers these days, that I could ask for some additional feedback.

I have Bushy M4 style rife. It came with the stock handguards. I'm looking for a rail system to mount a vertical handgrip and maybe a light. I'm trying to decide if installing a free float handguard is really the way to go (vs a non-freefloat rail system)? I've read/heard that some people think that free float systems preserve accuracy better and are the only way to get a wiggle free forend. I've also heard that this information is dated and that many of the new non-free float tubes work just fine. Additionally, I've heard that many free-float system are hard to install and should really be done by a gunsmith or someone that knows what they are doing (I can just barely field strip the thing[wink]). On the other hand, I've read that some of the newer free-float systems are very easy to install?

What do you guys think? Any recs for a great rail system? Ease of intallation and a wiggle free fit are key factors for me.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

There are many who feel free-float is the way to go - I however, disagree - especially on what is essentially a fighting carbine. If long range precision shooting is your goal on a full sized rifle, then free floating may be a logical answer for accuracy gains. Most non-free float front ends, (quality ones anyway), offer a more affordable and solid way to mount everything from lights, to vertical grips, to forward optics. I guess if money is no object and you really like the thought of having a free-float tube, then it will be money well-spent. I think for an M4 Carbine however, you would be hard-pressed to beat a Troy MRF-DI. The rail is over-engineered, solid as a rock and well-thought. It is drop in, (even a monkey can do it) and it locks up tight like prom night...At around $140.00, it's an exceptional value for one of the highest quality rails available...

www.troyind.com

M4 style rifle IMO a free float is not needed. I use one on my competition AR because when I torque down the sling in the sitting and prone positions it would pull the barrel down if I didn't have it.

Back
Top Bottom