Iraqi Army getting AR's ?

I saw this article on Yahoo today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6665759.stm

It seems to indicate that the Iraqi Army is getting all new M16 or M4 rifles. I was unaware of this and this is the first I had heard about it. Does anyone know more about this re-armament deal? Exactly how many of these are they getting and what exactly are they paying for them. I am also kind of worried that many of these will end up in the local weapons bazaar just like many of those Glocks we bought for the Iraqi police.

I hope they pay more than the $200 a piece that the Isrealis do, or at least so I've heard. I wish I could get prices like that. [crying]

But, I guess I was most confused with the statement about "needing to replace their aging Kalishnakovs." I don't want to get into to the debate of AR vs. AK, but I would think they are the two main contenders for any military contract at this time. They already have AKs, why do they need new guns? (I am more of an AK person myself if I had to pick one all around rifle.)

Many other countries are still using AKs and buying new ones. I can't find the articles anywhere right now, but didn't the US recently re-arm the Afghan Army with AK's and 7.62x39? Is the AR really better for Iraq specifically?

Either way it is kind of strange to me, because both countries are always described as awash with guns. You know AK in every house, and pictures of rooms stacked floor to ceiling with ammo. But now the same papers are telling me they need more guns and ammo. [thinking] I can understand why the troops need to blow up a lot of the big stuff they find and the really old stuff the find, but seems like a lot of usable small arms ammo is getting destroyed too.

Is this whole thing political? I know the AR purchase will send a lot of money back to the States, but I just don't know if it is neccessary. If it's US money to begin with, it seems the taxpayer is getting screwed in the end.

SOX

I am more of an AK person myself if I had to pick one all around rifle.
I'm much more of an AR person myself. The sights on an AK are poor. The sight radius is very short. AKs aren't very accurate. Mounting a scope on an AK is somewhat problematic. The AK trigger is not great. You can't operate the AK safety quietly. Changing magazines on an AK takes longer and is much more fumble prone than on an AR. The AK also has more recoil.

That said, the AK is simpler to take down, stays cleaner, is more reliable and tolerant of neglect, and uses a caliber with greater penetration. Given the climate of Iraq (sand and dust) and the relatively poor training of the troops, I think the AR is a bad choice for them. If their AKs are wearing out, then they should buy new AKs (or something else equally reliable).

We are probably giving them the guns, at US Taxpayer expense.

They'll most likely sell them on the black market! They certainly aren't going to defend THEIR COUNTRY with them!! [rolleyes]

They should have sent the ARs to Afghanistan and the Sigmas that they sent there to Iraq instead. Sigmas = no market value.

this is just stupid... no other word for it really... well, there is, but I'm tring to swear less.

I am so sick of this country taking care of everyone elses shit when they can't even fix the problems with in our own borders. [angry]

I hear that the Army is trying to switch to a new standard issue rifle. Perhaps they are attempting to clear out the stockpiles of M-16's. ???

Nice to see common sense statements like this and someone with the balls to say it. My hats off to you LenS.[bow]

Greg,

Regrettably I just read an account by a GI who served in the Sandbox. He stated that he saw some Iraqi Police selling Glocks off the back of an Iraqi Police vehicle. Same ones we gave them to help them save their own asses!

I call them like I see them. I could hope to be wrong, but somehow doubt it.

I hear that the Army is trying to switch to a new standard issue rifle. Perhaps they are attempting to clear out the stockpiles of M-16's. ???
Nope. They've toyed with various things and some special ops guys are using HK 416s. But there is no plan that I'm aware of for the US military to replace either the M16 or the 5.56 NATO round.

I'm a big AR fan and own a couple. Unfortunately, I don't think its much of a service weapon. I'd like to see them all donated to friendly governments and replaced with something in .28 caliber with a gas piston system similar to the M1/M14. Also, I would like the operating spring taken out of the stock and re-installed in the forend like the M1/M14. I have handled AR clones with this system and a folding stock; what an improvement!

Folding stocks have very little utility other than for storage. The limitations on them imposed by the AR has led to the development of the far superior multiple position collapsible stock design.

Iraq purchases

It's really old news.....among a $750 million purchase is:

10,126 Glock M17 9mm pistols
50,750 M16A2 5.56mm rifles
50,750 M4 5.56mm rifles
3,442 m24 sniper rifles
8,105 M249 SAW's
3,037 M240B's

and about 100 million rds M855

this is only part of a Sept 06 purchase

Back
Top Bottom