IPSC season is over and I am already having withdrawals..

PMD

It's been less than a week now that the outdoor IPSC season is over and I am already having withdrawals..

I don't know of any matches this weekend...and that means I may be forced into doing part of my "honey do" list..

If you know of any "action shooting" matches (formal or informal) in Mass, RI, NH or CT please post - "have gun will travel....".

fyi - Mass Rifle Association in Woburn has steel and pin matches on Monday nights and on two Sundays each month ( www.massrifle.com ).

Paul

I would absolutely NOT go to Hartford, word was there was an issue last month with the match which led to it not occurring on the scheduled date despite a number of people who showed up.

I have it from a reliable source that the Scheduled Hartford match will not be happening, but i'd write to the guy running them to be 100% sure.

I know that AFS was considering one date a month for either USPSA or IDPA, and if they need help, i'll certainly help them run matches there also if they choose to go with USPSA. Pretty sure I can drag some Manville folks with me.

Thank you Matt for the insight! I would hate to drive all the way to Ct only to find them idle.

Depending on the schedule, I might possibly be able to help you folks if you need it for a match in Attleboro......Depends on if it falls on a day my other half is working or not.

Thanks for the info..I might try that 22lr match on Saturday at ISC

As far as CT - I heard the same thing about the match being cancelled.

Four of us drove 2+hrs to CT to shoot their last posted match and we were the only ones that showed up - yup we were a little peeved....right Johnny (hdgun)?

I had considered going to CT but I was turned off by the fact that the scores of the Hartford match they did have took over two weeks to be posted. Clubs around here take a day.

You should consider yourself lucky to be shooting this game now. Back in the day, we waited over a week and sometimes two weeks to get results. However, back then you could win a few bucks by winning your class and or the match.

Oh..those were the days.........

Yeah, I know I'm a brat about getting scores quickly but when the other clubs charge the same or less with more people and get them done the same day, there is something wrong.

It will be a long time before I try CT. again, Long ride for nothing.

Westfeild has a match scheduled fo Dec. 4th @ S&W

Hal- I so missed out on the good old days of which you remember, but at least I had the Free Shoot wins for winning class or a match. Seems those have mostly gone the way of the 9x21.
Still find em at Manville.
I'd love to see some sort of prize structure set up for rewarding shooters, as the matches do turn a profit.
I dont know if it's something along the lines of playing the purse, like you would in Skeet or Trap, or just including say $5 from each entry towards class or division awards.
Something i'll think about this winter.

Ah Yes, I miss my tricked out comp'd, optic sighted, Practical Pistol Service custom built P9 in 9x21.

Just a quick side note, I shot the Nationals in 1991, when I went to the crono, the guy damn near died when he shot my ammo. 125 grain bullet at 1455 fps. well over the 175 pf that was required then. Oh man did that gun shoot flat and smooth...... I'd almost be tempted to try open again if I still had it.....

Payouts..

I guess the payouts were related to the amount of shooters at the match. I can remember getting $40-50 bucks in the mail. Match winner got cash, and depending on how many shooters were in each class, 1st, 2nd and 3rd is each class got a little something. I really like the free shoot thing. I dont see any reason for other clubs are not doing the same thing.

Matt,
Years ago, the cash payout was about 50% after expenses. The prizes were given out by match winner, class winners, then 2nd, 3rd in class. The prizes were not equal, you got paid for performance. This started going away in the late 80's. At matches with about 50 shooters, the winner would get somewhere around $70.00, and the clubs still got money from the matches.
By the way, Hal is a newcomer to the game....:)
Dan

For those who run matches, Other than Manville. Free shoots don't cost a penny. Bring them back!!!! I think it was a great insentive for shooters.

Just my 2cents

Hamar said:
Just a quick side note, I shot the Nationals in 1991, when I went to the crono, the guy damn near died when he shot my ammo. 125 grain bullet at 1455 fps. well over the 175 pf that was required then. Oh man did that gun shoot flat and smooth...... I'd almost be tempted to try open again if I still had it.....

Two things...

Some of my 9x19 loads chronoed close to that (with no pressure signs).

Also, the funny thing is that I was 13 when you were at the Nationals that year. The scary thing is that kids not much older than that are coming in the top 10 at the Nationals now-a-days. (edit... more like top 20, but definitely setting the high hit factors)

Hal, Dan, you guys make me all the more angry that no one ever came by and broke me out of my shotgun habit sooner than they did.
Wow did I miss out on the good old days!

LOL....wait until we tell you about the awesome matches that you missed. Other than the nationals, The best match was in my opinion was the Miller Invitational in upstate New York. Prize tables crowded with prize guns and dillon presses just to name a couple things....Yep, you shoulda been there!

Matt,
If you had played the game in the old days, you probably would have gotten tired of it. Hal and I started up after a 10+ year break. We started up after seeing some of our old friends shooting again. Now, I shoot some shotgun, highpower when I feel like it, bullseye during the winter and IPSC when I have time. I didn't make master like Hal, I practiced when I started in 1980 then pulled back on it, just shot matches. Matches just about every Sunday, for a long time. Not to mention the Masters for 9 years, the Miller/Smith&Wesson Invitational, and Second Chance 3 times. I guess I needed a break :)

Steve,
1455 fps has the pressure with 124's. I'm sure you don't shoot that as a steady diet, like Hal did way back when.
You should have been around for the 9x25. I shot Robbie's out at PASA in maybe 1992 or 93. 90 grain bullet that made major! I think it was around 2000 fps. The muzzle was pushed down, you had to push it back up to get on target. Before I shot it, Frank Glenn told me my long range gun was quieter. That was an XP100, chambered in 250 Savage, Ackley Improved. A 110 gr bullet at 2800 fps. The 9x25 no longer is used when they stopped the tiny bullets. I think Robbie said it was for a .380 acp.

oh yes, i've heard all about the Miller, and how I would have loved it.
I so hate having missed out on that. I think the closest we ever had was the SVI Opens in 2001 & 2002, there was something like 125,000 in prizes there. Havent seen anything like it since.

This coming season marks my 10th year doing this, and I'm only now going to more and more majors. I guess I finally found a good bunch of guys who want to branch out beyond the local events.

I figure if I ever get bored with it, I'll just move to another division and shoot it in that one, but I don't see a burn out anytime soon, I think only more dedication to it. It took me 9 years to win my first Major, and gun this year, (Thanks Seecamp) and I want more. I've also seen an influx of new fast shooters recently, and they are only going to push me to stay in this even longer.

Dan S said:
Steve,
1455 fps has the pressure with 124's. I'm sure you don't shoot that as a steady diet, like Hal did way back when.

No, I backed off a few tenths and it is perfect at 168pf. Major isn't all that major anymore.

so when will next years matches be posted
and i herd a guy talking about a match in pa that is not yo far
from hershey pa . they taled about camping down there is that a
major event or a local event i guess its in april any help would be great

Back
Top Bottom