Inventory report Four Seasons

Prepper

NES Member
I hadn't stopped by any local gun store in a couple of months. While the panic level back then was already alarmingly high, I could still manage to find plenty of 9mm, .223 and other calibers at Four Seasons and other places. (Although, at elevated prices.)

I needed some more 9mm today, so I stopped by Four Seasons. I was shocked at how spacious their store was. Wow, nearly all ammo normally stacked on the floor was gone. No 9mm at all except a couple of dented boxes ($13 each, vs the $10 [or less] that I had been used to) plus a fair amount of hollow point 9mm. A few boxes of .223 were there but no cases. Looks like they recently got a bunch of 7.62x39 in, except it went from $5 to $7 a box. Yikes. There was plenty of .40S&W but I just needed a couple boxes of that, at $18 a box; I'm glad I moved away from that caliber a while back since it costs much more than 9mm. Most of the .22 was gone... some boxes of CCI Blazer were still there for $22 so I got one (all my guns like that ammo so I prefer that over the $30 a box CCI Standard Velocity [which was also there]).

I didn't look too hard at guns, but I didn't see any AR15, AK47, M1 Garands or M1A or Socom or the usual suspects along the back wall. They looked mostly like bolt actions but I didn't look too hard. I was surprised to see a Kel-Tec SU-16 there, never see one of those at Four Seasons before. There was one AR15 upper hanging on the wall. The handgun cases didn't look quite as full as usual, but still many there.

The store wasn't crowded but I did get there and out again just before the usual lunch hour crowd.

All this emptiness in a gun store makes me feel uneasy. Like there is a disturbance in the force or something.

The last time I went looking for 7.62x39 there it had just gone up to 7 a box, that was right around christmas IIRC.

Went to Blue Northern today and also found it spacious in regards to ammo. They say it has been very hard to get from the suppliers. However, they have lots of new guns in the cases.

What's the inside scoop? Anyone?

Went to Blue Northern today and also found it spacious in regards to ammo. They say it has been very hard to get from the suppliers. However, they have lots of new guns in the cases.

What's the inside scoop? Anyone?

Matt

I can't speak for the whole world, but people are buying in large quantities,
cases at a time, in order to hoard.

It's a panic.

The manufacturers didn't anticipate the frenzy and aren't able to keep up with the artificial demand created by the B. Hussein fear. I'm not saying that fear is unfounded, he is the Anti-Christ.

But remember, this time last year you couldn't buy a hybrid car and today they can't give them away.

As long as we are in a free market (and who knows how long that will be) the market will correct itself.

The manufacturers will step up.

What I am amazed by is that people can panic for so many months without let-up. After a while, doesn't everyone manage to get most of what they think they need and can then buy at a more relaxed pace? Or is much of the panic coming from people who finally are starting to notice one by one? Perhaps not... maybe its just the same smaller subset of gun guys who just keep buying as fast as they can, continuously, without stopping no matter how much they got.

I think that there are a lot of new shooters out there as well. Which is good for us at the polls, not so much at the stores. Just look at the registered users/members here.

The good news is that if there are enough gun owners to stretch thin the ammo supply chain for an extended period of time, those same owners should be able to wield significant political clout. While Obama and his statist puppy Holder would probably like to entertain the idea of another piece of legislation like the AWB, I think gun owners are more politically active now, particularly when compared to the last round in 1994.

Matt

I can't speak for the whole world, but people are buying in large quantities,
cases at a time, in order to hoard.

It's a panic.

The manufacturers didn't anticipate the frenzy and aren't able to keep up with the artificial demand created by the B. Hussein fear. I'm not saying that fear is unfounded, he is the Anti-Christ.

But remember, this time last year you couldn't buy a hybrid car and today they can't give them away.

As long as we are in a free market (and who knows how long that will be) the market will correct itself.

The manufacturers will step up.

Dave,

I understand it's a supply and demand issue. It just seems like it went from having some ammo available to almost nothing available very quickly. I know this subject has been covered in the Walmart threads so I won't waste anyone's time. I was just curious if anyone has an inside scoop on manufacturing of ammo, ie; backlog and such.

Thanks for your input and I unfortunately have participated in this frenzy like many others have.

Matt

The good news is that if there are enough gun owners to stretch thin the ammo supply chain for an extended period of time, those same owners should be able to wield significant political clout. While Obama and his statist puppy Holder would probably like to entertain the idea of another piece of legislation like the AWB, I think gun owners are more politically active now, particularly when compared to the last round in 1994.

My point exactly, but stated much better. [grin]

What's really weird is that so many more people are reloading now so you would think the suppy of cartridges wouldn't be such an issue.

I think that there are a lot of new shooters out there as well. Which is good for us at the polls, not so much at the stores. Just look at the registered users/members here.

You got it! My son just got his LTC today and while he was at the local police station his girl friend dropped off her LTC application. More to come, you bet!!

No 9mm at all except a couple of dented boxes ($13 each, vs the $10 [or less] that I had been used to) .... 7.62x39 in, except it went from $5 to $7 a box. Yikes. There was plenty of .40S&W but ..... at $18 a box;

Carl has never had qualms about "adjusting" pricing. Nothing wrong with it, just not the least bit surprised.

What's really weird is that so many more people are reloading now so you would think the suppy of cartridges wouldn't be such an issue.

Most are reloading for their plinking/training ammo and putting away the good factory stuff in quantity for future use.

Most are reloading for their plinking/training ammo and putting away the good factory stuff in quantity for future use.

Hmmm not so sure. Most bulk commercial ammo- like WWB and Remington are good but aren't better than most reloads. Either way it's madness out there.

As nice a store as it is, it is a store, not a charity...
Say it isn't so?!?![wink]

They had an ok selection last week, I guess the hoarders attacked this weekend...

In fact that's sort of how all my gun shopping has been lately - I walk in, they have what I need, I get home and I hear that the same or similar stores are stripped bare to the cob-webs and the sky is now a least 1 mile lower than it was yesterday...

If I wasn't already wearing my foil hat, I might be concerned that "someone" was trying to get to me and convince me to buy ammo at elevated prices
hat-tin-foil-smiley.gif

Nah, can't be.[rofl2]

Carl has never had qualms about "adjusting" pricing. Nothing wrong with it, just not the least bit surprised.

I know he has no choice... the ammo comes in at a particular price so he has to sell it at that price plus a little more to make it possible to keep running a store.

im pretty sure once ammo manufacturers catch up with this demand we will see shelves stocked up again,..when will that be? the sooner the better.

i think im gonna call up federal or winchester and inquire when the supply will be back to normal. i will keep you guys posted on what they say.

Last edited:
Ammo supplies are trickling in compared to months gone by....We did however get a variety of 9mm/.223 and even 7.62x39 in at DSG. Without Score Points, there's no deals to be had really. UMC .223 is $9.98 a box if you buy 10 or more....That's still $500.00 a case, so without some gift card and/or Score Points action, it's hardly a bargain, but it is there and folks are gobbling it up....

I asked it in some other post somewhere, but has anybody actually SEEN an ammo factory to confirm they are open for business and making stuff? Where are these factories located, anyhow?

Ammo supplies are trickling in compared to months gone by....We did however get a variety of 9mm/.223 and even 7.62x39 in at DSG. Without Score Points, there's no deals to be had really. UMC .223 is $9.98 a box if you buy 10 or more....That's still $500.00 a case, so without some gift card and/or Score Points action, it's hardly a bargain, but it is there and folks are gobbling it up....

A case in the hand, and all that.

Yes, there are a lot of new shooters, but I really don't think that accounts for the shortage. Most new shooters buy one box at a time. But when you have people come in and buy $2K of ammo at a time, that really depletes inventory quickly and it's happening all over the country.

I have no empirical evidence mind you just my educated guess

now is the time to visit less busy stores. [wink]

anyone up for a road trip? j/k

i'm sitting this one out, unless i happen to run by a deal

Collectors - a short ride from FS has a ton of ammo last time I was there. I'm only saying this because I only reload. [smile]

I would argue that we hardly have anything close to a free gun market (or a free market in general). Just look at all the laws, regulations, etc. I wonder if there has been any study looking into laws and restrictions in the gun market and the ties to prices and what not. I mean you can already see it in the Mass market, where a firearm can go for hundreds of dollars more just because its hard to get in the state.

We've had a lot more new members in the past 6 months at the Wayland Rod & Gun Club. In the past, it would be unusual for us to have more a couple applicants at a meeting. Last night we had 5.

What I am amazed by is that people can panic for so many months without let-up. After a while, doesn't everyone manage to get most of what they think they need and can then buy at a more relaxed pace? Or is much of the panic coming from people who finally are starting to notice one by one? Perhaps not... maybe its just the same smaller subset of gun guys who just keep buying as fast as they can, continuously, without stopping no matter how much they got.

You've seen people's buying habits here on the forum, the reason everything is in short supply is that everyone else is trying to play catch up with NES.

Although annoying, this doesn't really disturb me per say as it is a sign of a very healthy shooting market, which is what we need in this time of political uncertainty. I've yet to hear word of any ammo manufacturer complaining that they're prohibited from producing and selling their products. They all seem to be working at compacity and simply just can't keep up with the demand. This is good. I hope the demand for both guns and ammo stay strong just to keep the message going to the antis.

Back
Top Bottom