• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

info on sig 239

paracarry

NES Member
I need feed back on the sig 239 in 40 S&W i have a chance to trade my S&W 99C in .40 for a sig 239. those who own them tell me about carry comfort, reliability and accuracy. I know it,s a sig so i don,t expect to much on the negative side. just thought i would throw it out there.

I have a 239 in 357Sig and love it. The only downfall is that accessories for it are slimmer then the other sig models. Aftermarket barrels, holsters, reduced power hammer springs and all the other goodies are a tad harder to come by.

I have a 239 in 357Sig and love it. The only downfall is that accessories for it are slimmer then the other sig models. Aftermarket barrels, holsters, reduced power hammer springs and all the other goodies are a tad harder to come by.

Spot on. I love the 239. It's so concealable that it's as if it's not there. One note, the 40/.357 model/s have a lot of muzzle flip at the end. If you're not used to that it could be a bit of a learning curve. I actually carry a 229 in the winter because you have a bit more space available to conceal and because it's a little easier to manage. But, in the summer heat, the 239 is fantastic.

BTW if you can trade that SW for a Sig GO FOR IT!!!

I already had made up my mind to trade before my post just wanted some opinions. i have been shooting pistols for 30 years recoil is not a problem. comfort and concealment sometimes is especially in the summer. thanks for your input

I have a p239 in 9mm. The recoil and flip can throw you off a bit, but with a set of good Hogues its a perfect concealment piece. That being said, its not really a small gun and is kind of thick. My 239 is a safe queen and I daily with a 229 instead.

I have a P239 SAS in .40 S&W. I love how concealable it is, but I don't always enjoy shooting it. The recoil flip with .40 S&W in this pistol is sometimes a bit much for me. Whereas my 229 .40 S&W is quite manageable.

My one issue: My 239 tends to sometimes eject the last unfired round when the second to last spent casing is ejected. I was told to use a stronger magazine spring to help retain the last round in the magazine, but I haven't tried that yet.

As for accuracy, I can group with it just as well as I can with my P229 .40 which is very accurate.

I carry my 239 in a Mitch Rosen ARG (IWB) holster and I usually forget that it's there. http://mitchrosen.com/product_line/holsters/inside_waistband/body_inside_waistband.html

Last edited:
That being said, its not really a small gun and is kind of thick.

True enough, though my first purchased piece was a P226 which I carried in a strong side holster and which, with 15+1 Speer Gold Dots, was akin to carrying a brick hanging off your belt. I guess since then, everything seems compact to me.[smile]

My 239 is a safe queen and I daily with a 229 instead.

I knew you were a wise man before this post. Honestly, If everyone would just get themselves a P220, P229, and P239 in .45, .40 and 9. there'd be no reason to every consider whether or not one has the right gun for the (domestic) Job.

Kidding. Kidding. Everyone knows you still need one of everything to be properly equipped.

My P239 40S&W/357sig was my fisrt handgun. When I carry it, it's with a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel and Milt Sparks Versamax 2 holster. I had Gunplumber http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ give it a advanced tactical package treatment 10yr ago when it was much cheaper - it has a great trigger.

It does have a strong flip in 40S&W and especially so in 357sig. Houge fingergrips make it OK - they drag a bit on fabric though.

If you have medium/small hands, it's great. Big-handed folks might find it too small, but some adjust well.

It rides well in a SmartCarry too.

If a classic DS/SS trigger and you haven't shot that before, you really might want to be sure you like that configuration.

Only FTF/FTE was ancient 9mm with major case bulging. All other ammo was 100%.

I had a 239 in .40, but sold it. Also have a 239 in 9mm. Accurate and very reliable. DA trigger is pretty good. SA trigger is pretty good as well -- not a 1911 trigger, but better than a Glock trigger IMHO. The bore axis is a bit high, so it has a fair degree of muzzle rise. Sights are good. I don't like the position of the slide stop and the slide stop itself is very small. The gun is pretty slim and the grip circumference is pretty small, so it works well for small to medium hands. The gun does feel a bit top-heavy in my hands.

For me, I'm just not a DA/SA kind of guy. If I was, the 239 would be on my short list.

I have a 239 in .40 with Hogue grips. It is one of favorite carry guns, and the heaviest gun I consider carrying. My only complaint is the weight and the top heavy feel, but as others have noted the recoil from .40 can be an issue for some even with the weight of the 239.

I have about 1000 rounds through mine, and I have never had any problems, other than one that I cause myself: I shoot thumbs forward, and my top thumb tends to ride the slide release (which is in about the same location as the safety on a 1911).

Carried a 239 for years.

Get the Hogue Grip, it makes the gun really fit well.

Never had a single issue with the gun. Used it for IDPA for a long time too.

Muzzle flip is a little more than some guns due to the higher bore, but it's not that hard to get used to.

Go for it.

The 239 is a well made, reliable, smaller mid-size pistol. I've had two, one in .40 and one in 9mm, neither gave me any problems. The aftermarket wraparound grip is a must. For the capacity, you can probably do better as far as concealability goes. The 239 is a little top heavy, and the single stack design is not exactly space efficient. If you can CC a 239 you can probably CC a 229 and enjoy the extra 3 to 5 rounds depending on the caliber. If you are comfortable with the pistol, it does make a fine carry piece, and it will serve you well. Other options to consider in this size are the S&W 6906, 4013TSW, Glock 19/23, and M&P XXc. Try as many as you can and shoot/carry what you are comfortable with.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom