Inexpensive deer gun

I've got a few open invites to go deer hunting in Vermont and Maine with family, I've never been and don't know if it's something I'd want to do regularly but would still like to find a cheap suitable rifle to take on the hunts. Been thinking about milsurps because of their cost but unsure of there overall suitability. Cabela's often has cheap Mosin Nagant's go on sale for around $99, but is 7.62x54 a deer round? And 1903's are around pretty cheaply also.

all advice welcome and appreciated[bow]

If it were me, I would try to stick with the mainstream calibers if possible as you can find some good hunting rounds for them. 30-06, 30-30, 308, 8MM. You can find some really good bargains if you're not in a rush.

You can use a Mosin. Ballistically its close to a 30-06 but accuracy out past 150-200 is questionable. They can be had for as little as $80. ATI makes a great aftermarket Monte Carlo stock that is around $50 and a scope mount kit for another $40. So for less than $200 you can put together an ok hunting rifle that will work. Personally, I would highly recommend a Savage Axis. Brand new they are under $300 and you can grab one in 270 or 30-06.

I've got a few open invites to go deer hunting in Vermont and Maine with family, I've never been and don't know if it's something I'd want to do regularly but would still like to find a cheap suitable rifle to take on the hunts. Been thinking about milsurps because of their cost but unsure of there overall suitability. Cabela's often has cheap Mosin Nagant's go on sale for around $99, but is 7.62x54 a deer round? And 1903's are around pretty cheaply also.

all advice welcome and appreciated[bow]

If you go milsurp route be aware that there may be ammo restrictions. For example, in NH you cannot use FMJ or have a mag with more than a 5 rounds:

It Is Un lawful To:

• hunt with a fully automatic firearm. It is also illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic
rifle with a clip or magazine holding more than five cartridges (except rimfire rifles
and pistols);
• use full-jacketed metal case bullets;

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunting_PDFs/Hunting_Digest_2010_11.pdf

Not sure about Maine or Vt though....

Last edited:
Since you are from MA, I would suggest a 12 GA shotgun. Plenty accurate for the distance you will probably be shooting in VT. You will also be able to use it here in MA. (I sure do wish for a rifle deer season in MA, though - but I don't see that ever happening. I think Berkshire County should secede from MA and join VT.)

I'd personally go with a current bolt action. If you can find one used even better (guns are even better than cars in that respect). Marlin, Mossberg, Savage, and Smith & Wesson all have good low end bolts that can be had for sub $300 NIB. You will need a scope, so factor that in.

A slug gun is an option too, but ammo will probably be more expensive and where a rifle will work at short range a shotgun will be more limited at longer ranges. I know, most deer are shot at < 100 yards in the northeast, but why limit yourself.

30-06 is probably the most versitile hunting cartridge available, and if you only get one rifle to do it all the '06 is your cartridge. 308 and 270 are very close seconds, but definitely anything in the northeast can be taken with 30-06 including Moose with the right load.

Just my 2 cents.

You may want to consider borrowing a rifle if you don't know if you will like hunting. I know quite a few hunters who have an extra rifle or two.

Last edited:
You should definitely take them up on the invite. Even if you don't care for it, it will be an experience that everyone should have. Borrow a shotgun or rifle and give it a go.

Short $?

Go get a bolt-action Mossberg ( or equivalent ) shotgun for $100. Any reasonable-range shot with a slug will do the trick....

Hell, if you find one is 16 ga, it would likely be less than $100..... It's not like you're trying to hit a prairie dog at 300 yards.....

And, at that price, you'll not cry if you whack it against a rock....

in any evnet, good hunting

PICT2988.jpg

AK in 5.45

This happens to be an Arsenal AK-105 - not legal in MA unless you go through a vendor like Henderson Defense who will do the work to make it MA legal for cheap and then send it to your FFL. They do this for several Arsenal model AKs.

SAM_0158b.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

101_0340.jpg

Ammunition: Hornady 5.45x39 60gr V-max for all deer
War Poodle: Optional

Cost of a AK in 5.45x39: $350 (for unconverted Saiga)

A very effective hunting tool. Most of these were shot at 70-100 yards. I have heard of people getting it done at a little past 100 yards with this set up.

You could also go with a .308 Saiga, too and probably be a little more effective at a greater distance.

edit: aw, dang - is there a caliber size restriction in MA or where you are going to be hunting? The 5.45 may be too small for it to be legal here in newengland...

Last edited:
Since you are from MA, I would suggest a 12 GA shotgun. Plenty accurate for the distance you will probably be shooting in VT. You will also be able to use it here in MA. (I sure do wish for a rifle deer season in MA, though - but I don't see that ever happening. I think Berkshire County should secede from MA and join VT.)

I was talking to someone who hunts MA, told me that appeals were made to fish and game because the deer population is growing despite bow and shotgun seasons, and as a result Coyotes are becoming more prominent so let's have a rifle deer season so we cull more deer and reduce the coyote pop. No, here's a rifle coyote season, was essentially the response.

Bass ackwards[slap]

Stevens .308, cheap, built on the Savage 10 action and .308 ammo is everywhere.

I picked up one as a project, planning on using just the action, it is so accurate as is, I decided to wait to re barrel till it needs it.

That's awesome, love the dog, I see you have a magnified optic mounted in one pic and a reflex/red dot/holographic sight in the rest, is the scope overkill for 5.45 type ranges?

I wish that was my gun and my dog, but unfortunately it's not. The guy that hunts with that rifle either uses a KOBRA red dot, or a PSOP, or the scope you see there (I am not sure what it is). Magnification isn't overkill for 5.45x39 as it actually reaches out pretty far and is quite accurate, especially the Hornady flavor.

His dog actually hunts with him. And knows what it's doing- stays quiet during it, helps the guy track and pick up their trails, and then it actually poses on the kills. It's quite remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom