Inexpensive deer gun

I don't recall if Maine allows hunting with semi autos. They may, I just don't recall so double check if you are hunting Maine. VT does allow semi auto.

I believe it was mentioned above but know how far you will be shooting. I have hunted in Maine and VT where shots have been 10 feet out to 300 yards. In VT farm country, 1000 yard long fields are not uncommon. So get a caliber capable of the shooting you will be doing.

Dave

Go to your local gun shop (not Wallmart, Cabelas, or Dicks) look at the used gun rack and get yourself a bolt-action in any caliber above .243.

I've got a few open invites to go deer hunting in Vermont and Maine with family, I've never been and don't know if it's something I'd want to do regularly but would still like to find a cheap suitable rifle to take on the hunts. Been thinking about milsurps because of their cost but unsure of there overall suitability. Cabela's often has cheap Mosin Nagant's go on sale for around $99, but is 7.62x54 a deer round? And 1903's are around pretty cheaply also.

all advice welcome and appreciated[bow]

To busy to hunt this year but I'll loan you my Browning Medallion 30-06 with the stipulation that if you harvest a deer, I get some venison for my generous offer.

Heck man you could use pretty much any rifle calibre to hunt deer with from 243 on up. My hunting rifle is an old SMLE dated 1913 and shooting 303 british.

Get an accurate rifle that is within your budget and you'll be set.

I have seen various reviews (the negatives mostly from people who dont actually own one) of the Remington 710, but I have been extremely pleased with mine. im not the best shot yet, but it seems pretty accurate, and i am not afraid to bump the synthetic stock. i picked mine up really cheap too. I have also heard great things about the savage equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom