Incendiary N.R.A. Videos Find New Critics: N.R.A. Leaders

Reptile

NES Member
The flash point was Thomas the Tank Engine.

Last September, the National Rifle Association’s famously combative spokeswoman, Dana Loesch, provoked widespread outrage when she took to the gun group’s streaming service to mock ethnic diversity on the popular children’s program “Thomas & Friends,” portraying the show’s talking trains in Ku Klux Klan hoods. Now, growing unease over the site’s inflammatory rhetoric, and whether it has strayed too far from the N.R.A.’s core gun-rights mission, has put its future in doubt.

The site, NRATV, is a central part of the organization’s messaging apparatus. Since its creation in 2016, it has adopted an increasingly apocalyptic, hard-right tone, warning of race wars, describing Barack Obama as a “fresh-faced flower-child president,” calling for a march on the Federal Bureau of Investigation and comparing journalists to rodents.

In recent weeks, in a rare airing of internal debate at the N.R.A., two prominent board members expressed concerns about NRATV to The New York Times. Their statements followed a round of cutbacks that claimed one prominent host, Dan Bongino, and were released through the N.R.A. itself, amid what was described as an internal review of NRATV and its future.

“Since the founding of NRATV, some, including myself and other board members, have questioned the value of it,” Marion Hammer, the group’s most formidable lobbyist and a key adviser to its chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, said in a statement. “Wayne has told me and others that NRATV is being constantly evaluated — to make sure it works in the best interest of the organization and provides an appropriate return on investment.”

Incendiary N.R.A. Videos Find New Critics: N.R.A. Leaders

NRA mission creeping into run of the mill conservative politics and culture war issues endangers its core mission of gun advocacy. On issues unrelated to guns and gun rights, the NRA ought to have no position.

The point of single issue advocacy groups is that people of disparate views can join together to focus on issues they agree on. That is how they are successful. What value does the NRA get for taking a position on racial diversity in children's television programming? Does it advance the goals of the NRA to do so?

NRA mission creeping into run of the mill conservative politics and culture war issues endangers its core mission of gun advocacy. On issues unrelated to guns and gun rights, the NRA ought to have no position.

The point of single issue advocacy groups is that people of disparate views can join together to focus on issues they agree on. That is how they are successful. What value does the NRA get for taking a position on racial diversity in children's television programming? Does it advance the goals of the NRA to do so?

Well I agree this is stupid but it is hardly the worst problem with the NRA right now they might want to start by not throwing themselves under the bus and prostrating themselves every time there's a "mass shooting". The way they responded to parkland was retarded and, imho, made things worse.

Wayne needs to be gone like yesterday.
He's either compromised , burned out or getting damp in the head.
The bumpstock thing was irritating , but this Red flag thing should be considered one of the most insidious piece of shit things to come down the road in a very long time.
A complete and total end run around any and every constitutional protection we have .
Now the grabbers get the legitimacy of saying "Hey , even the NRA supports it."
WTF they were thinking is beyond me.

The bumpstock thing was irritating , but this Red flag thing should be considered one of the most insidious piece of shit things to come down the road in a very long time.
A complete and total end run around any and every constitutional protection we have .
Removed their sticker from my truck because of all that and then some. Not renewing the membership either. Local groups get my money along with SAF. The NRA can suck it.

Last edited:

The NRA doesn't really have a great track record of being a hard line group. They've always been up for "reasonable" gun control laws, whatever the hell that means. If you are looking for a no-compromise type of group, you're better off with some of the smaller or local ones.

The NRA doesn't really have a great track record of being a hard line group. They've always been up for "reasonable" gun control laws, whatever the hell that means. If you are looking for a no-compromise type of group, you're better off with some of the smaller or local ones.

The problem is not being able to adapt to change.
The grabbers are no longer content to nibble around the edges, they are swinging for the fence.
The guy has to realize that every word out of his mouth and every thing he does is going to be twisted and used to fit the agenda.
They did it with the bump stocks and now it's the red flag thing.
Anything short of pledging to work like dogs to unseat anyone supporting this crap will be taken as approval.
You can't work with these people or reason with them .
Those days are long gone.

This. They're spending too much time on fear tactics and identity politics.

NRA could be bringing anti-Trump and black lives matter types of people on board. These people are ripe for the thought of "Do you really want the government to have a monopoly on force? Even if it's the Trump government and the police you say are causing these problems? Doesn't it make sense for citizens to have a counter-balance?"

I know a few very liberal people who are pro-gun. They want nothing to do with the NRA.

Back
Top Bottom