• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LaPierre, Longtime N.R.A. Leader, Faces Trial That Could End His Reign

How can so many people be on the same side on this, and Wayne just doesn't go.

Does he not realize he's single-handedly sinking the organization?
He has put together a Board of Directors that keeps telling him that he is great... that he is GOD... and worth every penny that he can steal that he is paid! Forget about the 50% drop in memberships and the fact that the NRA has become a politically-worthless, near-bankrupt laughingstock. 74 year old Wayne must survive! :confused:

He has put together a Board of Directors that keeps telling him that he is great... that he is GOD... and worth every penny that he can steal that he is paid! Forget about the 50% drop in memberships and the fact that the NRA has become a politically-worthless, near-bankrupt laughingstock. 74 year old Wayne must survive! :confused:

I watched the ball drop the other day. The song leading up to it was performed by Paul Anka.

I wept watching him.

When the time comes to retire, then retire.

No other gun rights group will ever have the influence or political clout of the NRA.

Now that has been neutered.

The anti’s got to turn pro gun people against the biggest safety net gun owners had.

Those who quit the NRA fell into their trap.

Not saying LaPierre acted honorably and he should resign but for pro gun people to bail is exactly what the antis needed to take down the NRA.

And because of it we all lose.

Solidarity is what was needed and the house cleaning should have been handled internally.

Any pro2A person who thinks this is a good thing is sadly mistaken.
Lapierre scuttled the organization all on his own. They went from defending gun rights to imagining that they were king makers, cozying up to republican politicians and eventually sold us out.

Did they by chance preserve Charlton Heston's head? Bring him back to clean house.

1704371947346.jpeg

WLP base salary is around 7x my salary with bonuses. He spends more on 1 suit than my clothing budget for a year and then he expenses it. His lifestyle is more lavish than I'll ever have. I refuse to spend my hard-earned money to support him and his corrupt cronies.
That is exactly the point. non profit leaders should not be paid over $1 Million per year. i realize it is expensive to live in northern Virginia. But $250,000 per year should be a max. And stop paying for armed security and private jets.

there are plenty of links to NY court filings, both from the NRA and the NY attorney general. Statments by former directors are also linked. These problems at NRA are self created. Dont shoot the messanger. And read the IRS Form 990s official documents that show the excessive salaries.

The salaries aren't excessive. It's like when someone wants the head of a 10,000 person charity to work for $100,000 per year. It's not going to happen. You are competing with other organizations and need to pay accordingly. It isn't like a charity or non-profit is no-work. It's work. You don't work for free. Neither should they.

Wayne's base is around a million dollars. For the size of his organization (1,000 employees, 5 million customers), that's pretty regular.

People piss and moan about this stuff, but it's a different world than you and I. It's no different than someone complaining about teh salary of the CEO of Verizon or whatever. Sure, you could cut that guy's compensation from $20M 2 years ago to. . . 5 mil? And it gets the shareholders. . . . . $0.0036 per share. .36 cents.

Wayne needs to go because he's ivory-towered himself. Not because of what he spent the money on.

The pro-2A community needs to fight on two fronts: legislative and judicial. Legislative means lobbying. NRA did this effectively for a long time. Judicial is one area NRA never did well on. This is why many organizations now focus on defending our rights in court. The downside of NRA's decline and eventual demise(yes, it's collapsing) is the lack of legislative prowess. If we can prevent the lousy legislature from ever getting voted on, there won't be a need for so many judicial organizations like FPC or GOA.

The salaries aren't excessive. It's like when someone wants the head of a 10,000 person charity to work for $100,000 per year. It's not going to happen. You are competing with other organizations and need to pay accordingly. It isn't like a charity or non-profit is no-work. It's work. You don't work for free. Neither should they.

Wayne's base is around a million dollars. For the size of his organization (1,000 employees, 5 million customers), that's pretty regular.

People piss and moan about this stuff, but it's a different world than you and I. It's no different than someone complaining about teh salary of the CEO of Verizon or whatever. Sure, you could cut that guy's compensation from $20M 2 years ago to. . . 5 mil? And it gets the shareholders. . . . . $0.0036 per share. .36 cents.

Wayne needs to go because he's ivory-towered himself. Not because of what he spent the money on.
We disagree. Non profits exist on donations. Verizon and any other for profit business sells products and services for a profit. CEOs at for profit businesses should have no upper limit on salary and bonuses. Non profit leaders on the other hand should not, as I said above, take a vow of poverty, but they need to understand that if they wish to earn 8 figure salaries they should go to work in the private sector. Personally, one of the things I look at before I donate to any org is what they are paying their staff. If it is more than the average salary of us regular folk than my check book remains closed.

I am going to strong agree on this one.

Some non-profits need to pay high salaries because the job responsibilities are comparable to private sector CEO jobs that pay two or three times as much. Also, some non-profit leaders are excellent fundraisers that more than pay for themselves. I used to think differently, but I read some things recently on this issue that made me adjust my view.

So Wayne does not need to go because of his high salary. Wayne needs to go because he is bad at every skill that justifies a high salary. Extremely shamefully bad.

Now if the NRA started on the path to straighten itself out, and needed someone with the skill to turn a large organization around, and fix a very damaged reputation, then a substantial salary might be justified. Fixing the mess that Wayne made is going to be a very hard job.

WLP's salary is not really over the top. But. Salary is only one part of the equation. It's the expense account. Private jet. Probably a car and a car service. Deferred compensation. Retirement accounts. Pension. Maybe a corporate apartment. Etc Etc Etc.

I would not be surprised if the other stuff is more than double or triple his salary....

How can so many people be on the same side on this, and Wayne just doesn't go.

Does he not realize he's single handedly sinking the organization?

Sidenote, I have a photo of one NES member shaking hands with Wayne at an event, but it before things got quite so bad.
He's still getting paid.

We disagree. Non profits exist on donations. Verizon and any other for profit business sells products and services for a profit. CEOs at for profit businesses should have no upper limit on salary and bonuses. Non profit leaders on the other hand should not, as I said above, take a vow of poverty, but they need to understand that if they wish to earn 8 figure salaries they should go to work in the private sector. Personally, one of the things I look at before I donate to any org is what they are paying their staff. If it is more than the average salary of us regular folk than my check book remains closed.
You don’t understand how business works. For profit or not for profit.
Don’t let that stop you though.

You don’t understand how business works. For profit or not for profit.
Don’t let that stop you though.
I won't let it stop me because I do not believe it is appropriate for a non profit leader to earn over $1 million per year. And as has been pointed out the private security. He runs a gun org; why can't he carry? And the private jets which cost more than even a first class ticket. The difference is he is operating on DONATED money. Business leaders operate on sales and profits. There is a huge differnce. I won' t be donating. Go to guidstar.org and look at GOAs 990, they lost close to $4 million in 2022 -- that was donated $$$. But look at the salaries of other non profits (gun and non gun), they are far more reasonable than $1 million per year. Look at NAGR, their salaries have grown over the past few years and they spend almost every penny they beg for. Its all a scam and a fraud to separte gun owners who want to do good from their cash. I don't make anywhere near $1 million per year; why would I want to donate to fund such a lavish salary? I work to hard for my money.

The best people to take the job wouldn’t touch it with a 10-foot pole. The next Exec Prez will have to sacrifice themself to right the ship.

It would have to be someone who is independently wealthy and agrees that Second Amendment rights are worth protecting. That person would also need to be willing to get rid of the problems.

Good Riddance.

But seriously, one one hand, I really didn't expect to see this. And on the other hand, I expect that the entire leadership of the organization is a cult of Wayne's sycophants, and just removing him will not change the direction.

Still, he had to go to have any hope of righting the ship, and hopefully more good changes will follow.

No other gun rights group will ever have the influence or political clout of the NRA.

Now that has been neutered.

The anti’s got to turn pro gun people against the biggest safety net gun owners had.

Those who quit the NRA fell into their trap.

Not saying LaPierre acted honorably and he should resign but for pro gun people to bail is exactly what the antis needed to take down the NRA.

And because of it we all lose.

Solidarity is what was needed and the house cleaning should have been handled internally.

Any pro2A person who thinks this is a good thing is sadly mistaken.
I'm not so sure. Do you think many folks that didn't renew their memberships due to Wayne's bullshit are going to rejoin now that hes resigned? As soon as I hit the post reply button on this post I'm going to the nra website and rejoin.....just like I promised.....once Wayne's gone ill rejoin.

Last edited:
Wayne's gone but there are still a lot of his lapdogs still there. They may try to stay on the gravy train unless there is a systemic leadership change and a FREELY elected board of 13.
I will renew once I see that the NRA has returned to it's original purpose and mission.
They were there because the top guy was feeding them. The next election will be messy, but what follows will make it messier. We're in for 2-3 years of NRA being in ridiculous turmoil.

Back
Top Bottom