• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE for all gunowners House Bill H2259

-What should we expect with this bill?
-What are the possible changes (if any)
Substantial - change MA from a "may issue" to a "shall issue" state.
Remove FID/LTCB/LTCA non-sense and restrictions - age based limitations 15/18/21 - long gun posses/long gun buy/pistol respectively, but one license to rule them all
Remove "suitability" and replace with "prohibited person" very similar to the Federal definition (this is the essence of the "shall issue" switch)
In ending the LTCB non-sense the high-cap/low-cap non-sense goes away (AWB REMAINS!, but the LTC-B non-sense is gone)

Dench said:
-What are its chances of passing?
-What is the time frame that it would be passed in?
Who knows... Realistically, it could be a year of wrangling only to have to start over in the next session, but please don't let that dissuade you from fighting for this...

This is a new bill and its a "big and scary" to the "progressives", so they are going want to massage it if they are going to accept it. MIRCs/CHSB/FRB is going to fight it because it cuts into Jason's Empire...

From today's meeting, I expect at best, a lot of ham-handed attempts to create "prohibited person plus" like CT has with the ability of the local CLEO to "have his say"...

We will need to press them on respecting due process and maintaining the "burden of proof" on the state with these mutations...

For all its faults and "concessions" to the anti's it is nothing less than a quantum leap forward in MA gun laws which should restore a great deal of our basic rights and presumption of innocence (which we do not have now).

Which one were you?
Third row bench on left, sitting next to DaddySuperFly, brown hair and beard, jeans/red shirt and tie, brown patterned sportcoat.
5. Avoid rambling or emotional appeals. Having not been to one of these hearings before, I admit I fell into the second part of this trap. .
If you are who I think you are, that is wrong - you made excellent organized interesting points, and they listened to you.
I hope I was not included in the rambler or too long category.[laugh]
If you are who I think you are, then I do not think so - you had a lot to say, and you made a lot of excellent points, that seemed to make them think. From how they reacted, I think you "scored" multiple times.

Costello just doesn't get this. He needs to be brought back to square one and shown that either 1. he is inconsistently applying his basic principles or 2. his basic principles aren't actually compatible with US-style constitutional gov. I highly doubt this can be fixed in hearings. Frankly, his constant talk about 'pragmatism' indicates that he may not even understand the concept of basic principles. Some things are WRONG. Full stop. Compromise isn't always possible.
I couldn't agree more on the time limit, and it was physically painful to avoid interjecting when people on the other side were giving out bad info. Maybe we can coax more people out with promises of an NES dinner? [laugh] Food does seem to get people to show up. Not nearly as well as shoots, but I don't see that being a viable option after a hearing. [wink]
On the organizing - I don't see any need to get particularly formal with the structure, I just think it would be most useful if ! 5 of us decided to attack one topic and split it roughly into different pieces and then signed up to speak one after the other. Overlap and repetition is good to a certain extent, but I'd love to see a concerted, 20-30 minute attack on one thing. We could really tear it to pieces that way.
Excellent points.
I really wished i had prepared something in advance now, but i said what i feel i needed to say. I also got lost when they all started calling all the other bills, because i had no idea what the bill was about unless the mentioned it.
it was nice to have meet some of the NES members (GrendelKhan and WayneWong). Terraformer, where you in a black pinstripe shirt?
You presented yourself very well, and made some great points. I was also lost in the bills. It was a pleasure to meet you too (and WayneWong).

Last edited:
If you are who I think you are, then I do not think so - you had a lot to say, and you made a lot of excellent points, that seemed to make them think. From how they reacted, I think you "scored" multiple times.
Spoke right after Acme Arms - dark gray suit, blue shirt...

If that was me, then thank you... I had 3 minutes of ramble on my paper on 2259, but got side-tracked by the questioning started with acme about why we "need" ARs... Couldn't let that one go...

I also added commentary from those other bills which may have led to some ramble on my part...

Spoke right after Acme Arms - dark gray suit, blue shirt...

If that was me, then thank you... I had 3 minutes of ramble on my paper on 2259, but got side-tracked by the questioning started with acme about why we "need" ARs... Couldn't let that one go...

I also added commentary from those other bills which may have led to some ramble on my part...
Sounded to me more like logic to back up your statements, which I think is how good lawyers and politicians speak when trying to convince, and want to hear from others. I think you were efficient and convincing, by the looks on their faces.

MarkM said:
As written this bill had a terrible definition of "non-resident", defining it as "any person being a citizen of the United States whose legal residence is outside of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts", thereby depriving lawful residents of the United States who have the right to own firearms (such as myself and every other green card holder) from possessing firearms/ammo for hunting in, target shooting in, or even just lawfully traveling through the Commonwealth.......

But it seems like your proposed change could allow illegal aliens and those with VISAs

They are already restricted under Federal law, no need to reinvent the wheel and make things more restricted at the state level. (with the exception that under Federal law it is perfectly legal for temporary visa holder to possess firearms under certain circumstances (competition, hunting etc)).

I am not opposed to this bill, I think it passing would be a major step forward for gun rights in MA, just pointing out that it is a step backwards for the rights of green card holding non-residents who can legally carry almost everywhere else in the US. I live about 5 miles from the MA border and every time I drive somewhere all it takes is a wrong turn for me to become an accidental felon, I would like to see that fixed at some time in the future.

I think if all the members of the committee would go apply for a LTC it would be a great learning experience. Or at least if they all went to a range and met the licensed Mass. constituents. By the way Cekim you and most of the people who spoke did a great job. GOAL showed they are our best bet for changing the existing law!

I spoke with them after the meeting and told them to do just that. I told them that actually the police would know them, and make things easier for them, so they should have a spouse or child or friend go through the process. I didn't get a chance to mention that being "known" means they get preferential treatment, but I guess that is implied or maybe just expected.

Well I got there about 20 minutes after the meeting had kicked off and stayed until the bitter end.

2. I know GOAL does a day at the range program for any and all interested legislators...can I propose that someone organize such a thing, however low-key for the staffers of the key players on this committee? It was painfully obvious, heck Costello outright admitted it at the end, the reps have no idea what the heck we're talking about half the time. They NEED to come to the range and meet some gun people, so they know what they're dealing with. But their staffers are the ones who are going to go through 2259 and the current laws and do the grunt work - we need to connect with them too.

3. To the gentlemen who printed out the Mass Gun Laws poster - BRILLIANT! I was watching the reps closely when these things were passed out and they were absolutely shocked when confronted with the massive amount of regulations all laid out in front of them. You could *see* the lightbulbs turning on.

4. Please limit your time. Some people were fantastically eloquent, but went on far too long. It dulls your message.

6. I strongly support the calls to organize our testimony. If we map out the points to hammer away at and divide it up it would have a fantastic impact. 10 of us, each spending 3 minutes picking apart one aspect of the AWB for instance, would be much more powerful than the same 10 on their own, each trying to cover everything.

7. Come to the meetings! You can come in late and leave when needed. If you come late, look for a staffer up front and to one side - you can still sign up to talk! There were several of us who came in late and didn't know we could still sign up to speak until Costello mentioned it around 3pm.

At the end of the day, the room was almost entirely Joe Citizen pro-2A types, who had taken all day off work to be there. That in and off itself should have sent a message to the committee.

2. This needs to be more of a 1 on 1 thing, not as big groups. Maybe Costello's office, and Timilty's office for starters.

3. I've been trying to suggest that here for a while, with lukewarm results:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...of-constituent?p=537098&viewfull=1#post537098
and
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/72132-MA-gun-laws?highlight=poster

This became painfully obvious at the prior licensing hearing which is why it was my primary comment. Not sure it got through though...

I hope I was not included in the rambler or too long category.[laugh]

3 minutes just isn't enough to say what needs to be said. Good thought on the divide and conquer. There are some messages which need to be repeated and/or stated in a different way by different people, but I am sure I was not alone in trying to second guess what would be covered by others so that I could focus my comments.

Some "org" here could be helpful. Frankly, it would be a good problem to have multiple saying the same thing by accident through [laugh] that would mean attendance was good... We still need to do more on that front.

If you were the guy on the front left from Boston, yeah, it was you. Whoever it was came across well and seemed very smart, but it just sort of wandered too much. These guys need a few focused points.

I think organizing is good, but also the fact that we are all doing our "own thing" as individuals speaks even stronger.

The police guys spoke for a REAL long time, when the committee was obviously in favor of them all along. I spoke with these guys in the hallway, and they said lockers should be available for citizens as well.

Costello just doesn't get this. He needs to be brought back to square one and shown that either 1. he is inconsistently applying his basic principles or 2. his basic principles aren't actually compatible with US-style constitutional gov. I highly doubt this can be fixed in hearings. Frankly, his constant talk about 'pragmatism' indicates that he may not even understand the concept of basic principles. Some things are WRONG. Full stop. Compromise isn't always possible.

I couldn't agree more on the time limit, and it was physically painful to avoid interjecting when people on the other side were giving out bad info. Maybe we can coax more people out with promises of an NES dinner? [laugh] Food does seem to get people to show up. Not nearly as well as shoots, but I don't see that being a viable option after a hearing. [wink]

On the organizing - I don't see any need to get particularly formal with the structure, I just think it would be most useful if ! 5 of us decided to attack one topic and split it roughly into different pieces and then signed up to speak one after the other. Overlap and repetition is good to a certain extent, but I'd love to see a concerted, 20-30 minute attack on one thing. We could really tear it to pieces that way.

I think Costello's intention was that the current laws are too complex and interwoven to just throw out wholesale. He would rather see one section taken at a time for changes. This agrees with your strategy in the last sentence above.

I was hoping some of you would be around after for a coffee. I came out and everyone was gone, so I had coffee by myself. )-:

Hey Terraformer I agree but even to day at the hearing someone said that the people of mass are so sanitized about guns that they freak out just seeing one. They are soooo blind and biased laughing at them now would just confuse them more. And that includes the Rep's as well. I lived in Texas for seven years. Imagine my pain.

I meant to mention how in the old days, one HAD TO have the butt of the pistol exposed, or else the police thought you were hiding something. I forgot. Oh well.

I was there today from 10am till the bitter end, and met some people from NES. I'm sorry i couldn't stick around at the end, but i needed to catch my train back home (i barely made it as it was).

There were a lot of great testimonies today Nicole, the taller gentlemen talking about "adjustable stocks", obviously Jim from GOAL, and i'm sure i'm missing some others. This was my first hearing, and i plan to attend more if possible. some parts i loved, like Sen. Brewer stating it doesn't matter what laws are on the books, criminals do whatever they want anyways, the stack of letters provided to the committee, and when senator brewer asked how many licensed individuals are involved in gun crimes. Some of the other testimony made me scratch my head. I really felt bad for the family of the person that was killed, but i think their aim is a little misdirected. IMHO a 30-06 could have achieved the same results. also to the part why would anyone want more than 10 rnds... because my thumb get sore/tired from loading mags all day... [smile]

I wouldn't be against organizing something. i went today with no intentions to provide testimony, but signed up around 3 and was one of the last ones to go (younger guy in a suit talking about Worcester). I really wished i had prepared something in advance now, but i said what i feel i needed to say. The guy that talked for 20 minutes lost the whole committee, which was too bad because he had some good points. you could see they were all glazed over after 5 minutes. anyone see the young male on the left side practically falling asleep???

I also got lost when they all started calling all the other bills, because i had no idea what the bill was about unless the mentioned it....

I called in to try to get someone to put my name on the list (2 different sources), and I thought it happened. I guess it didn't get on there, but they graciously let us speak anyhow. By the way, you spoke well. Briefly and to the point.

.... I think more than one of the Reps there are at home tonight reading the actual gun laws and scratching their heads!!!!

I sure HOPE so.

I walked away from the hearing with a lot more respect for the co-chairs than what I went in with. I felt that they listened intently and responded appropriately to comments from both sides. If their actions are consistent with their words, we should see some significant changes and improvements. I'm going to follow up with letters and calls in an appropriate and constructive manner over the coming months.

Same here. I was dismayed that there were only 3 or 4 listening at times. Sure, people need to eat and go to the bathroom, but I bet people would have been OK if they declared a half hour lunch recess.

This is a new bill and its a "big and scary" to the "progressives", so they are going want to massage it if they are going to accept it. MIRCs/CHSB/FRB is going to fight it because it cuts into Jason's Empire...

From today's meeting, I expect at best, a lot of ham-handed attempts to create "prohibited person plus" like CT has with the ability of the local CLEO to "have his say"...

We will need to press them on respecting due process and maintaining the "burden of proof" on the state with these mutations...

I think they agree with parts of it, but a little at a time. Who is "Jason"? I think there should be a state application, and the police get a checkbox and small comment box to whether they "approve" or not. This allows them to use local knowledge, etc. Along with this would come a hearing with the chief, the applicant, and the state licensing people who would then determine whether the chief's "gripe" was legitimate. There would then be an approval or denial at the end of the meeting before everyone leaves. There would be possibility for an appeal. I think these guys would be OK with something like this.

Last edited:
In ending the LTCB non-sense the high-cap/low-cap non-sense goes away (AWB REMAINS!, but the LTC-B non-sense is gone)

I think you're mistaken here.

H2259 - SECTION 20. Sections one hundred and thirty through one hundred and thirty-one P of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws are hereby repealed.

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

The section defining an "assault weapon" remains, and so there is a legal classification for an "assault weapon" in law. But the provision that makes it illegal to own one for us mere citizens would be repealed.

If you were the guy on the front left from Boston, yeah, it was you. Whoever it was came across well and seemed very smart, but it just sort of wandered too much. These guys need a few focused points.
Nope - not from Boston...

Coyote33 said:
I was hoping some of you would be around after for a coffee. I came out and everyone was gone, so I had coffee by myself. )-:
Sorry, have to turn my schedule upside to show up at all... I literally had minutes to spare as I stood up to speak... Pushed my window of departure to the absolute limit.

coyote33 said:
I think they agree with parts of it, but a little at a time. Who is "Jason"?
Director of the Firearms Records Bureau. Youngish, lots of hair product...

I'm not thrilled about the whole Chief non-sense. Sorry, this is the price of liberty and justice...

That said... the key to the Cheif's "gripe" issue is that it must require a finding of fact and it must preserve your rights and keep the burden of proof on the state. Right now, there is no such protection. It's pretty much the Chief's word against your with the explicit placement of the burden of proof on you...

Last edited:
I think you're mistaken here.
The section defining an "assault weapon" remains, and so there is a legal classification for an "assault weapon" in law. But the provision that makes it illegal to own one for us mere citizens would be repealed.
hmm, I thought they were leaving the AWB for another day - you may be right... Need to check...

I've been passing out Massgunlawreform.com pamphlets at work now for months. I've probably given out in the area of 40-60 total.
I am by no means a expert with the law, and I have little to no grasp of how these laws will get passed. I am, however, exposed to a large amount of shooters every week and often talk about this bill.
I kindly ask that someone here on NES can make some cliff notes and important points that i can remember and pass on to fellow MA gun owners.
-What should we expect with this bill?
-What are the possible changes (if any)
-What are its chances of passing?
-What is the time frame that it would be passed in?

I would like to see a well formatted pdf created that bullet points the issues and has a list w/ e-mails of the reps on the committee, i would pass these out to the gun shops i frequent and educate the members of my Fish and Game club, we get a lot of new members who are fresh out of the licensing bureaucracy and we may be able to get them motivated to write and call the reps.

Was a good day there. I stayed till the very end, actually was one of the last to testify. I agree with some of the other respondents here that if a group of us got together and each selected an individual point to dissect, we could make a much better presentation to committee during these hearings.

While both sides got to speak MUCH longer than 3 minutes, we need to be more eloquent as a group. Please don't bring written text to simply read from, especially if it is word-for-word verbatim of a firearms or self defense book. And especially leave out the sarcastic remarks.

The antis, as always, exaggerate facts and blend fiction into their stories. One that got me really wanting to interject was the story of the Foxy Lady manager that was killed by an AR-15. Yes, while any murder is tragic and I am sorry for their loss...
1. The woman read a story and wasn't speaking to the committee - bad
2. The woman told of "Coke can size holes" that the "Powerful" AR-15 made in the walls - TRY pea size holes
3. The woman tried to extol the virtues of her murdered son (The Foxy Lady manager) - PLEASE give me a break. Since when are managers of a strip club that preys on women (we all know what I mean) considered virtuous and fine members of society?

Our side made several good points and I hope that we can keep this momentum going. I look forward to more discussion on this soon.

I was trying to figure this out by bouncing around between H2259 and the MGL's, but couldn't find it.

So we'd still be stuck with (post-ban) crippled mags? Damn [sad2]. I understand, though - "small moves, Ellie".

Well I got there about 20 minutes after the meeting had kicked off and stayed until the bitter end. The meeting content was well-covered by Mike, so thoughts...

1. Great to meet you Garandman! Half the people left near the end must have been NESers...we really do need to have a meet-up or nametags. Missed opportunities.//
Nicole, ditto. I thought your testimony was quite effective. I thought the woman from 2ASisters "Buried the Lead" a bit.

I am trying to schedule a meeting with the representative who filed the following bill:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht02pdf/ht02267.pdf
to ask her what her reasoning for extending it out, and changing the wording to make it more difficult for hunters. Also, to ask for her support for 2259.

There was no testimony on H2267 or several other bills. I wouldn't be to concerned about this bill given she has no co-sponsors and noone - including the author - bothered to testify for it.

I am trying to schedule a meeting with the representative who filed the following bill:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/186/ht02pdf/ht02267.pdf
to ask her what her reasoning for extending it out, and changing the wording to make it more difficult for hunters. Also, to ask for her support for 2259.

If I'm reading that correctly, it would mean that an LTC holder couldn't carry on any private property without written permission of the property owner. So that includes businesses like stores, malls, etc.

Bad, bad, bad.

If you set up the meeting and would like someone else to go with you, I'd be happy to.

Sounds like you guys made an excellent showing! I wanted to come but work has been absurd lately.

Rest assured I'll figure out how to get to the next one. I just need to make sure I go there on an empty stomach so I can get through the part where the antis start prattling their crap. From what I read of the transcript, Guida, Cabral, Robinson, etc, were all especially loathsome, but that's about par for the course for them.

-Mike

I was at Lahey in Burlington yesterday finding out I'm having surgery on Friday[thinking], but did send an e-mail to Rep Jason Lewis. Haven't heard back from him yet. I would have loved to be able to go. I will see what I can do about going to the next hearing.

I was trying to figure this out by bouncing around between H2259 and the MGL's, but couldn't find it.

So we'd still be stuck with (post-ban) crippled mags? Damn [sad2]. I understand, though - "small moves, Ellie".

Chapter 140 Section 131m institutes the actual criminal penalties for the sale, transfer, or possession of large-cap post-ban mags and "assault weapons".

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131m.htm

From H2259:
SECTION 20. Sections one hundred and thirty through one hundred and thirty-one P of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws are hereby repealed.

Thus, if the bill were passed as is, section 20 would effect the repeal of any criminal penalties for the purchase, possession, transfer, or use of post-ban large cap mags and "assault weapons". That which is not illegal is legal.

hmm, I thought they were leaving the AWB for another day - you may be right... Need to check...

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the current s.121 (definitions) would be eliminated, and replaced by s.122, which makes no mention of "assault weapons" or "large capacity feeding devices". I don't see it mentioned anywhere else in the bill, so it would appear that the AWB and hi-cap mag prohibition would be repealed.

If I'm reading that correctly, it would mean that an LTC holder couldn't carry on any private property without written permission of the property owner. So that includes businesses like stores, malls, etc.

Bad, bad, bad.

If you set up the meeting and would like someone else to go with you, I'd be happy to.

As I read it, it only applies to hunting on the land of another, not carrying on private property.

EDIT: On second look, I appears that once off your own property, having a loaded firearm within 1000' of a dwelling in use, is a no go.

Last edited:
I sat through most of the hearing, so here’s my take.

Only a small fraction of bills written ever make it into law. Sort of like fish that hatch. I don’t take seriously most of the really kooky stuff or the bills that don’t have any or just one co-sponsor. That makes the job much easier. And I now understand the analogy to sausage making.

Boston Police Commissioner Davis sat there for nearly an hour before being allowed to testify in favor of H2247 (micro stamping) and S977 (gun shows, electronically recording sale of guns and ammo, armor piercing ammo, etc). Both of these are backed by Mayor Menino and Davis seemed to be there as the Boston representative. Sen. Brewer asked Comm. Davis how the requirement to record ammo sales would affect re-loaders and Davis said it wouldn’t and said he’s reloaded himself. Comm. Davis did not comment on H2259 or any other bill. I don’t think anyone else testified for S977.

Mr. Guida from CHSB testified in favor of H34 submitted by EOPSS and against H2259. I was surprised that he voiced only two objections – the lack of local input and the gutting of MIRCS. I understand the MIRCS issue, the CHSB and FRB are highly invested in that system and sincerely believe it provides great value. As discussed many times before, local control or input on licensing decisions is sacrosanct in this state.

I really enjoyed the way chairmen Timilty and Costello ran the hearing. They were accommodating, engaged and seemed very interested in hearing everyone out. The three minute time limit was kind of a joke – I don’t remember them cutting anyone off or even giving out a time warning. The committee was far more receptive to H2259 than I had anticipated acknowledging the many short-coming of current law and a desire to make licensing fair and even (but still with local control). They also seem sympathetic to the idea of separating out criminal vs. civil violations of licensing which would be huge improvement and more consistent with current legal decisions.

Finally, after yesterday I have a whole new outlook on this bill and the job GOAL has done putting it together and shopping it around the State House. I didn’t really take this bill seriously until now, but after yesterday I’m optimistic that some parts of it may actually be enacted. As suggested by others, the testimony from our side would benefit from a greater degree of organization. It would not a stretch for GOAL to identify 4-5 articulate speakers and coordinate their testimony around additional key aspects of the proposed legislation.

Thanks to all of you that went. I too like some of the other posters would like to see a summary of the proposed changes if anyone has one.

//

Finally, after yesterday I have a whole new outlook on this bill and the job GOAL has done putting it together and shopping it around the State House. I didn’t really take this bill seriously until now, but after yesterday I’m optimistic that some parts of it may actually be enacted. As suggested by others, the testimony from our side would benefit from a greater degree of organization. It would not a stretch for GOAL to identify 4-5 articulate speakers and coordinate their testimony around additional key aspects of the proposed legislation.
Not a bad idea.

To the gent with the gun law posters: how about making them available for sale and donate some proceeds to GOAL?

Did you NOT read my earlier post right in this thread on this? They are free, available in the Statehouse Bookstore, which is where I got them prior to the meeting. I had leftovers after the meeting (I really thought the full board would be present, and planned for that, plus some spares for audience viewing). I went back to return them after to save the state some money, and the clerk at the bookstore said to just throw them away, because he didn't want them back, even though they were perfect. I brought them home and gave to my police station to put up, and they were thankful. As per MA law, you should find one posted at your town or city hall.

Got this back from my rep Kate Hogan today via FB.

Kate Hogan January 27 at 8:34pm
Mike: I have taken a quick look at the H. 2259 and was able to hear some of Rep P's testimony (I was next door testifying in support of a small business bill.) The bill looks good to me! I will reach out to other colleagues and let you know what I am hearing both in terms of support and interest. GOAL has alot of Dem Supporters (me among them.) Best. Kate

Back
Top Bottom