IMPORTANT NOTICE for all gunowners House Bill H2259

Got this back from my rep Kate Hogan today via FB.

Kate Hogan January 27 at 8:34pm
Mike: I have taken a quick look at the H. 2259 and was able to hear some of Rep P's testimony (I was next door testifying in support of a small business bill.) The bill looks good to me! I will reach out to other colleagues and let you know what I am hearing both in terms of support and interest. GOAL has alot of Dem Supporters (me among them.) Best. Kate

Woo Hoo!

I just sent emails to Brewer, Timilty, and Costello voicing my support for 2259 and thanking Timilty and Costello for being open to them. I even offered to take them to the range. We'll see what/if I get back for responses.

Mike: I have taken a quick look at the H. 2259 and was able to hear some of Rep P's testimony (I was next door testifying in support of a small business bill.) The bill looks good to me! I will reach out to other colleagues and let you know what I am hearing both in terms of support and interest. GOAL has alot of Dem Supporters (me among them.) Best. Kate

Well damn. Looks like my rep ain't so bad after all. Now to see about whatisname, the Senator.

How neat, someone interested in keeping there job.

I've had very good luck contacting legislators through their facebook accounts. Find them, friend them, comment on their updates, leave notes on their wall, send them PM's.

Lately much better than formal email and most are on it if you look.

I've had very good luck contacting legislators through their facebook accounts. Find them, friend them, comment on their updates, leave notes on their wall, send them PM's.

Lately much better than formal email and most are on it if you look.

Wait until some lobby group writes a mass wall posting application for facebook and that will end quick.

Thanks to all who took the time to attend. Due to my disability I was unable to attend.

Question if I may. Was anyone there from the NRA? Or did they write off Mass. all together?

Last edited:
Thanks to all who took the time to attend. Due to my disability I was unable to attend.

Question if I may. Was anyone there from the NRA? Or did they write of Mass. all together?

There was one guy from either NRA or NSSF. They work together a lot.

It was interesting to sit there for 5 hours and watch. I met several NESers and a few friends from GOAL.

And, I spoke very briefly in favor of H. 2259. But I had to rebut the the New Bedford woman who testified that ARs were not used for hunting and the SPCA woman said that Sunday hunting would disturb others enjoying the woods for one day of the week without hunters:

"Last fall, I hunted large game in NYS with an AR-15 on a Sunday." [smile]

"Last fall, I hunted large game in NYS with an AR-15 on a Sunday." [smile]

simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

From my Rep Jason Lewis:
Dear Mike,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H2259, An Act Relative to Civil Rights and Public Safety. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your view on this important issue. I pay close attention to all the input and feedback that I receive.

Like you, I care about gun control laws and gun safety. This bill protects the rights of United States citizens to bear arms, but clarifies and strengthens the punishments against those who illegally possess firearms.

I believe this bill will improve public safety, and I support its passage in the House.

Again, thank you for your input. If you would like to discuss this issue in more depth, or if we can be helpful in any other way, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Best wishes,
Jason

Jason Lewis

State Representative

31st Middlesex District - Stoneham and Winchester

State House, Room 33

Boston, MA 02133

617 722-2060

[email protected]

www.RepJasonLewis.com

Dear Representative Jason Lewis,

To be most helpful, please PLEASE work your hardest to convince all the rest of the legislature to also vote in favor of this bill. I want you to work tirelessly to see to it that it gets passed as closely to its original intended version as is humanly possible.

Thank you,

Your Contstituent

Last edited:
From my Rep Jason Lewis:
Dear Mike,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H2259, An Act Relative to Civil Rights and Public Safety. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your view on this important issue. I pay close attention to all the input and feedback that I receive.

Like you, I care about gun control laws and gun safety. This bill protects the rights of United States citizens to bear arms, but clarifies and strengthens the punishments against those who illegally possess firearms.

I believe this bill will improve public safety, and I support its passage in the House.

Again, thank you for your input. If you would like to discuss this issue in more depth, or if we can be helpful in any other way, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Best wishes,
Jason

Jason Lewis

State Representative

31st Middlesex District - Stoneham and Winchester

State House, Room 33

Boston, MA 02133

617 722-2060

[email protected]

www.RepJasonLewis.com

Awesome news. Thanks Mike

Two emails back.

Hi Brian,

You can be assured that I will work toward getting this bill passed.

Rep. Hill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to express your opinion via your e-mail. It is important for people to speak out on the issues that are most important to you.

Regarding your comments, I share your concerns 100% and will do all I can to protect our 2nd Amendment rights! If you would like to speak to a member of my staff about this issue, please call 508-888-2158.

Once again, thanks for your email and please feel free to continue to express your views!

Jeff Perry

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:24 AM
To: Ayers, Bruce (HOU )
Subject: H2259

Rep. Ayers,

Although you are not my representative I have spoken to you in the past regarding your courage to go against the flow and vote in a manner that is in the best interest of the law abiding citizens of the Commonwealth.

I urge you to vote in favor of H2259, the bill on civil rights and public safety sponsored by GOAL. This bill would go a long way to change the hodge podge of gun laws which now prevails. As it is now, there can be 351 different criteria to be issued a LTC firearms, each according to the whims of the chief of police in a given community. To place this kind of restriction on a Constitutional right of law abiding citizens is absurd. Criminals do not obey any gun laws.

The next time I make a delivery to the body shop downstairs from your office I will stop up to see if you are in.

Sincerely,

Laurence ----

email I sent to Rep Bruce Ayers, a member of the comittee on public safety. (He is not my rep.)

At least he answered me. I have stopped in at his office in the past and discussed other issues with him. When I did, he usually voted the way I requested. I make it a point to stop by his office and thank him when he does.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Laurence,

Thank you for contacting my office.

I appreciate you weighing in on the firearms legislation, House Bill 2259.

Please, stop by my Quincy office next time you deliver to the shop and always feel free to call me pertaining to this or any other matter at 617-722-2230.

Thanks,

Bruce

I spoke with Vinny DeMacedo (State Rep 1st Plymouth District) the other night while at the Plymouth GOP meeting, and when I asked him if he was familiar with H2259, he said he wasn't since they see 100's of bills, but if it's from GOAL he'll vote for it, and mentioned his A+ rating from GOAL.

So I can't complain, I have a great Rep down here.

By the way, Joe Truschelli is a Republican candidate for State Rep in the 12th Plymouth District, we spoke at length about 2A issues in this state, and though he doesn't have a license and is going to apply for one, he seemed pretty warm towards H2259, so if you're in the 12th District vote this man in, he's in good with Vinny, so that's always a good sign also.

I also told Joe Truschelli to come onto this site and take a look at the current gun laws in Mass and how they affect us, plus I told him it was a great place to get all the info for applying for your license, hopefully he comes on and joins in the conversation.

Hi Brian,

You can be assured that I will work toward getting this bill passed.

Rep. Hill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to express your opinion via your e-mail. It is important for people to speak out on the issues that are most important to you.

Regarding your comments, I share your concerns 100% and will do all I can to protect our 2nd Amendment rights! If you would like to speak to a member of my staff about this issue, please call 508-888-2158.

Once again, thanks for your email and please feel free to continue to express your views!

Jeff Perry

Rep Hill is my local Rep and is a great guy. He makes it a point to stop by the Ipswich Fish and Game association when we have our annual open house.

From the local paper:

http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/...-warm-to-bipartisan-bill-overhauling-gun-laws

BOSTON —

No individual under the age of 18 would be allowed to handle a fully automatic firearm, even with a parent’s permission, under legislation overhauling the state’s gun laws that lawmakers considered Wednesday.

The bill, filed by Rep. George Peterson (R-Grafton), includes a provision allowing individuals over the age of 18 to temporarily hold or fire a machine gun at a gun show. But they must do so in the presence of an individual licensed to handle machine guns, according to Peterson.

Peterson said he included the provision in a broader firearms bill, in part, to address concerns aired after a 2008 incident at a Westfield gun club, where an 8-year-old boy was killed while he was handling a machine gun.

The current law is “ambiguous” on the handling of automatic firearms, Peterson said after testifying before Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. “Clearly, the boy was not old enough, physically able to control the firearm,” he said. “Unfortunately, we can’t regulate common sense, or bad decisions by parents. This is one way that will address the age limit.”

An attempt to simplify the state’s gun laws, the bill (H 2259) includes a raft of other provisions, reducing four firearm licenses to one and establishing 13 categories that prevent people from owning a gun. The bill, which lists nine Democratic backers and seven Republicans, drew support from both chairs of Public Safety Committee.

The categories include a person indicted of a crime punishable by up to a year in jail, a person convicted of a violent crime or tagged with a restraining order, a fugitive from justice, an undocumented immigrant, or a person who has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship.

The bill also centralizes gun licensing authority in the Executive Office of Public Safety, with local police chiefs acting as “licensing agents.”

“We have close to 351 different licensing standards across the state,” Peterson said, referring to local police chiefs who currently have the ability to issue gun licenses. “This clears up that ambiguity and makes the licensing procedure clear-cut.”

Sen. James Timilty (D-Walpole), the Senate chair of the Public Safety Committee, called it a “great bill” and said he hoped to see “passage in some form this year.”

“There should be one standard for applying for what is a constitutional right,” Timilty said.

Rep. Michael Costello, the House chair and former assistant district attorney, pledged to work with Peterson on the bill but said he had concerns about taking authority away from local police chiefs, since “nobody is closer on the ground.”

Costello (D-Newburyport) added: “I like the idea of focusing on a prohibited class.”

Lauren Hyer, executive director of Stop Handgun Violence, said she is still reviewing the bill, but took issue with one component: She said the licensing authority should stay with police chiefs.

“It should be in the hands of the communities,” she said. “They know the people in the communities.”

She added that Massachusetts has among the lowest firearm fatality rates in the nation. “Our [present] gun laws have worked out,” she said.

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners’ Action League, said the bill is the “top priority, period” for his group.

“This is a starting point. The system we have now is not working,” and is focusing on lawful gun owners instead of illegal gun owners, he said. “The laws have to be clear about who is a criminal and how they should be prosecuted.”

Wallace pointed to one provision in the bill establishing a special unit within the State Police focusing on criminal firearms and trafficking. “We’ll have one entity in the state that is investigating those cases,” he said

Lauren Hyer, executive director of Stop Handgun Violence, said she is still reviewing the bill, but took issue with one component: She said the licensing authority should stay with police chiefs.

“It should be in the hands of the communities,” she said. “They know the people in the communities.”

She added that Massachusetts has among the lowest firearm fatality rates in the nation. “Our [present] gun laws have worked out,” she said.

The moonbattery is strong with this one.

I spoke with Vinny DeMacedo (State Rep 1st Plymouth District) the other night while at the Plymouth GOP meeting, and when I asked him if he was familiar with H2259, he said he wasn't since they see 100's of bills, but if it's from GOAL he'll vote for it, and mentioned his A+ rating from GOAL.

So I can't complain, I have a great Rep down here.

By the way, Joe Truschelli is a Republican candidate for State Rep in the 12th Plymouth District, we spoke at length about 2A issues in this state, and though he doesn't have a license and is going to apply for one, he seemed pretty warm towards H2259, so if you're in the 12th District vote this man in, he's in good with Vinny, so that's always a good sign also.

I also told Joe Truschelli to come onto this site and take a look at the current gun laws in Mass and how they affect us, plus I told him it was a great place to get all the info for applying for your license, hopefully he comes on and joins in the conversation.

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!!

This is exactly where all the support for GOAL pays off. We, the people, do not have time to read through the tons of legislation that comes up, we elect our reps
to do that for us. And they, in turn, don't have the time either. So all the fantastic work that GOAL has done to earn a trustworthy reputation pays off
at the moment when that harried state rep can just see what GOAL is recommending, and trust that if they vote for it, they have a solid , reasonable and
well supported position and they won't
be **** over for it later.

Go GOAL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I forget to make this post, let me thank everyone on the forum for their support of our efforts to reform the gun laws and Massachusetts through H.2259. A special thanks for those who took the time out of their day to attend the public hearing. I am glad that some of you could see in person some of the legislative process.

I do apologize that I could not stay and hear everyone who testified after us, but I had a speaking engagement down on the Cape to get to.

Also thanks to the NSSF for sending Jake to testify with GOAL.

Thanks again, now let's see if we can get H.2259 out of committee.

The moonbattery is strong with this one.
Yes, well the police enforcing jim crow laws "knew their communities" as well...

Come to think of it, so did the police in Germany - as well as the collaborators...

It's important to give unchecked authority to people who "know" you to maximize the efficiency with which they can strip you of your civil rights...

Back
Top Bottom