• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you lived in Mass and had to move

The wife and I have always planned on retiring to NH her family has a place up in Bristol on the lake. But after this past election I fear that in 30 years time NH may be to far gone to be free enough for me and it might end up being VT or somewhere out west where I can buy 25 acres for a dollar and do whatever I want

Maine. And it's not "if I had to move" it's "when I'm able to move."

I always pictured you for a Cambridge kind of dude. Dont you support liberals and think gun owners in forums are crazy?

Last edited:
How about another planet, this one is close to going full retard and I'm thinking I may want to step out of here before hand

I recently moved to NH from Mass but if it wasn't family and the wife wanting to be next to the ocean but maybe Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana.

Brady campaign is good reference to use on when picking a state.

I'd move to NH. In fact
I did in '86. Great state. Voted #1 place to live by some poll this year. If you are a Democrat then NH is the worse state to live in. Don't come here. :)Yiogo

Last edited:
South or West. TX, AL, FL (not south), SC, or maybe VA. I've come to hate the cold, so NH is a worst case scenario, but it's not MA. A lot will depend on where the kids and grandkid(s) end up since my son has left MA behind and my daughter plans to when she gets her Masters Degree.

I used to think this too, but someone on NES once said to me "the snow doesn't begin/stop at the state line"!! Reflecting on that statement I've noted that over the years, So. New England seems to be getting whacked with more nasty weather than some of Northern New England. This all seemed to start with the Blizzard of 1978 . . . as I understand it, it was no big deal in NH.

Having had to deal with a lot of very serious family illnesses in the past, I've come to a special appreciation for the quality of healthcare we have available in Boston, especially vs. So. FL where I got to witness some of the "G_d's waiting room" philosophy first-hand and got reports from my Wife's Uncle about other aspects of it . . . Medicare (and elderly) fraud at its finest (folks from Shitcago would be proud)! So as I'm getting older and although healthy right now, I do want to be within reasonable distance of Boston's major hospitals in case I ever need them. That puts my choice as So. NH within ~1 hour drive to Boston.

I used to think this too, but someone on NES once said to me "the snow doesn't begin/stop at the state line"!! Reflecting on that statement I've noted that over the years, So. New England seems to be getting whacked with more nasty weather than some of Northern New England. This all seemed to start with the Blizzard of 1978 . . . as I understand it, it was no big deal in NH.

I think it depends on where in NH you are. Sea Coast area might be OK, but in land and further north, I still think gets whacked on a regular basis. Right now I'm looking at several trips to Keene in January and weather is a big factor.

Having had to deal with a lot of very serious family illnesses in the past, I've come to a special appreciation for the quality of healthcare we have available in Boston, especially vs. So. FL where I got to witness some of the "G_d's waiting room" philosophy first-hand and got reports from my Wife's Uncle about other aspects of it . . . Medicare (and elderly) fraud at its finest (folks from Shitcago would be proud)! So as I'm getting older and although healthy right now, I do want to be within reasonable distance of Boston's major hospitals in case I ever need them. That puts my choice as So. NH within ~1 hour drive to Boston.

I understand completely, which is why southern FL is off the list. There are decent hospitals in other areas of the country and that's definitely in my decision matrix. My wife and I have talked about southern NH due to it's relative proximity to Boston, but I really, really, have come to hate the cold. Comes from a lifetime of having to work outside in it.

New Hampshire when we retire in 8-10 years, If we decide we still want the seasons. If not probably head south, as long as there are good gun clubs around, I don't GOLF!

I actually just started my research a few weeks ago. In order of importance, I am looking into the handgun laws (I have gotten used to carrying every day), NFA laws (mg and sbr, etc), climate and weather (I hate the cold now, but don't want to deal with extreme weather like hurricanes or tornadoes either), outdoor recreation (fishing and hunting) and employment (funny how that is at the bottom of the list, but it is the least of my worries really).

No definite answers yet, but a few options have been South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Arizona. It is tough to compare laws between states, though MOST are far better than Mass. There have definitely been some surprises though also.

I left MA in '06 for FL. Stayed only 3 years (FL is a sunny place for shady folks). Came back to NE and settled in NH. Been OK so far, but I find myself thinking if it could be better, and where is the nirvana place, all other things notwithstanding. I am talking about good people, weather, politics and a better-than-average chance of weathering the impending economic melt-down with less trouble.

So, my next move will be to either Montana or Wyoming. Probably WY. Have a soft spot for the Cody area. Looking for a nice piece of land with water-rights to build on. Keep it as a #2 until I can convince the wife to leave NE.

I've always wanted a Bren Ten, this would be the perfect excuse to plunk the cash down. Miami Group-Move?
Make sure you visit the area you'd live in there before you move... I'd sooner move to Somalia than most parts of Miami and be safer for it...

The good parts cost as much as nice neighborhoods up here but still have high crime rates. Woo hoo!

Last edited:
I will one day buy some land with a small cabin in Alaska, just beautiful country out there. But for now I'm stuck in Mass until the girlfriend gets out of law school, then hopefully moving to southern NH (fingers crossed).

It took 64 replies before Arizona turned up. Nobody else?
Since I don't like the freezing cold and I prefer warm/hot and dry over warm/hot and humid Arizona is actually my first choice. After Az. Would probably be Virginia, Texas then Florida.
If I ended up staying to the north for some reason it would probably be Montana,Wyoming,Idaho then New Hampshire.

Miami, Florida *puts on pastel sportcoat*
You forgot *removes socks and puts on boat shoes and a tight t-shirt under sportcoat.... miami vice style

- - - Updated - - -

I would pick Kansas, Montana, Tenessee, but my first pick if I was retired would be Alaska....

Scottsdale/Tempe AZ, ride year round, plenty of stuff to do, shoot what I want, never rains, and it's NOT Massachusetts. If I was to stay up here, VT. Down south, I'd probably go with the great state of Texas or Virginia. Not really interested in the midwest, but Colorado seems nice.

Southern Pennsylvania, West Virginia, western Virginia, or northeastern Kentucky. They still have four seasons; winter is a month shorter, spring comes earlier. Small threat of hurricanes compared to the Carolinas, and less threat of tornadoes than they get a little farther west.
Temperatures are only a little warmer than Mass., and the humidity is comparable.

Using Forum Runner. Please excuse spelling errors, formatting, and absent links.

Back
Top Bottom