• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you had to choose one of these four 9 mm's, which would it be and why?

Hello All,

My friend and I are in disagreement of which gun is better, if you had to pick one, which would it be, we have shot all four of them.

Glock 19
Ruger SR9
Para Ordinance P 18-9
SW9VE

not sure how to put it up to a vote on here, i personally like the Para Ordinance, much heavier, less recoil, feels great in my hands. My buddy loves the glocks. One of our other buddies owns the SW9VE and loves it
You ask about which gun is better, but then you seem to define better as the way it feels.

When someone asks me which gun is better, I think if ... A gun is better because it has quality components, it is reliable, the factory is consistent ...

So, what do you care about:
- reliability and quality?
Or
- fits peoples hands better?

If it's the second one, then only you can answer it, and there is no right or wrong answer. Admin was spot on above.

If someone put an sr9 or Glock 19 in my hands in the dark: I would be able to use either of them without any MOA learning session.

Under pressure the G19 would be my safer place. I have two in the house and a g26 and a few thousand rounds through a g17 plus the 10k through the Glocks in the house.

Part of that problem is two fold. First ; I've never had any problems with them and now second; I've got a ton of mags.

All about MOA and comfort.

This list tells me you either only like cheap polymer striker fired guns, or you just haven’t tried enough other ones yet.
Glocks in MA are stupid money and not fiscally responsible for a purchase unless you find an ffl that just don’t give a f***. Don’t get me wrong, Glocks aren’t bad guns, but the rest of your list is, well, shit.
Get a Gen3 or 4 if you can afford it, avoid the rest, or look at Sig 320s & M&P 2.0s.
I would say go metal framed and get a Beretta 92FS Vertec or M9A1 if you can. Even a Sig 226/229 as much as I shit on them in my friend group. (Cheap, reasonable prebans, better recoil, etc)
But it all comes down to what you can shoot the best.

Edit: I also realized I just replied to a thread from 9 years ago... so good on me. 🙄

Last edited:
Hey, I went looking for the "Blunderbuss vs. Grapeshot?" thread and found this one instead...

This list tells me you either only like cheap polymer striker fired guns, or you just haven’t tried enough other ones yet.

Lol. I own 9 Glocks in various flavors, but I have found that just because a gun is inexpensive doesn't mean it doesn't earn a place in the line up.
The SW9VE and SW40VE are well made and strong-framed. Certainly not $800 Mass Glocks, but They will do the work.
If a Glock is an Audi, a Sigma is a Camry...

Lol. I own 9 Glocks in various flavors, but I have found that just because a gun is inexpensive doesn't mean it doesn't earn a place in the line up.
The SW9VE and SW40VE are well made and strong-framed. Certainly not $800 Mass Glocks, but They will do the work.
A sigma is on par with a high point. Do yourself a favor and buy an M&P 1 or 2.0 if you need a Smith. No Glock is worth the MA price but people justify it.

Hello All,

My friend and I are in disagreement of which gun is better, if you had to pick one, which would it be, we have shot all four of them.

Glock 19
Ruger SR9
Para Ordinance P 18-9
SW9VE

not sure how to put it up to a vote on here, i personally like the Para Ordinance, much heavier, less recoil, feels great in my hands. My buddy loves the glocks. One of our other buddies owns the SW9VE and loves it
Glock. Used to be a Glock fan, but if I can ever afford something again I'm going with the S&W M&P 2.0 series. However, Glock is my fall back choice. Cheap, plentiful mags; consistent trigger; it works. Ruger: Tried a friend's "C" model. OK, but, "meh". Trigger had an inconsistent, not always reliable, reset. Para - Tried orginal in .45. Haven't heard good things about the current versions; expensive. SW9VE: Outdated/superseded by the M&P 2.0

As an Audi owner, I jus’ frew up in mah mouf a little.

Glock is, at best, a BMW.

R

(Hey, at least I didn’t say it was a Volvo. Ahem.)

Hello All,

Glock 19
Ruger SR9
Para Ordinance P 18-9
SW9VE

What do you plan to do with the pistol?
For me its all how it feels especially from a draw and shoot perspective.
i have owned a G19 and a Sigma , Sigma was awful for me. As some posted the glock just does not feel "right" in my hand.
The para? Not alot of use with those but they had a wide grip or double stack 1911 I liked the heft and the feel.

so which is better. If I,had to grab one it would be the G19

A sigma is on par with a high point. Do yourself a favor and buy an M&P 1 or 2.0 if you need a Smith. No Glock is worth the MA price but people justify it.
I have an M&P Shield-9, M&P Shield-40, M&P Shield-45 and an M&P .40c
All great guns...

Glocks in MA are stupid money and not fiscally responsible for a purchase unless you find an ffl that just don’t give a f***. Don’t get me wrong, Glocks aren’t bad guns, but the rest of your list is, well, shit.
Get a Gen3 or 4 if you can afford it, avoid the rest, or look at Sig 320s & M&P 2.0s.
I would say go metal framed and get a Beretta 92FS Vertec or M9A1 if you can. Even a Sig 226/229 as much as I shit on them in my friend group. (Cheap, reasonable prebans, better recoil, etc)
But it all comes down to what you can shoot the best.

Edit: I also realized I just replied to a thread from 9 years ago... so good on me. 🙄
I'm not a Glock guy, but I thought Glocks were on her majesties approved handgun list.

SW9VE fan asking if it's safe to come out of the closet yet...?

Lol. Anyone else remember these much-maligned Smithies?
I recently went to the range with my 15 year-old SW9VE and forgot how much these "Poor Man's Glock" rock.
Having put thousands of rounds through it (I use these as my 'Trainer' pistols to introduce newbies) it ran slick and flawlessly.
Oh, did I mention I have 7 in both 9mm and .40s&w? (When training included a few more than 1 student, it was nice to hand out same-platform firearms... and one for the instructor of course)
All great runners that have mucho rounds through them and never needed to go back to Springfield, MA for any reason.
They were cheap to buy too. A couple of them were purchased in 'Like New Condition' for under $180 bucks. (I guess when their owners heard "they sucked"... they believed them.)

So why did I dig up this 9 year old thread? Simple. If you ever get a chance to shoot (or buy) one of these 'Poor Man's Glocks' give it some good thought and know they are almost a clone of the G19
and make great nightstand handguns. They are fun to shoot the hell out of and are far more versatile as Home Defense guns AND Range plinkers than the diminutive M&P Shields that are best suited for Concealed Carry than target practice.

I also found this Lol, 2004 GUNBLAST review on the SW9VE (Not a Sigma, which was a generation or 2 before, but are still labeled as such) which gives some comparison of it to the Glock 19
for you to laugh at...or not.
~Enbloc

Smith & Wesson’s Improved Sigma 9mm Auto

MVC-025F.jpg
MVC-021F.jpg
MVC-005F.jpg
MVC-020F.jpg

They even have standard capacity magazines for Free-Staters...
MVC-006F.jpg

Another necrothread troublemaker, eh?

[laugh]

EOPSS’ list they are on, not the Queens list.
I get lost with so many lists. This State just s*cks so much. I love how the States list says they are approved, but the AG might not have them on her approved list, and aparently her approved list is above the State. So, why the f*ck have the State list. (Face palm).

Last edited:
I get lost with so many lists. This State just s*cks so much. I love how the States list says they are approved, but the AG might not have them on her approved list, and aparently her approved list is above the State. So, why the f*ck have the State list. (Face palm).
Preaching to the choir.

Back
Top Bottom