Total days for the test: 178
Average rounds per day: 281

Total range trips: 85
Average rounds per trip: 588

Total hours at the range: 338.75
Average rounds per hour: 148

Number of times the gun was cleaned: 10

Number of parts replaced due to breakage: 3
(this includes the firing pin spring, even though it wasn’t discovered until after 50k)

Number of parts replaced due to scheduled maintenance: 5

Total number of stoppages: 9
(seven stoppages were attributed to an out-of-spec mainspring that was replaced within the first 10,000 rounds of the test; one was attributed to excessive debris in the extractor and extractor channel; one was an unidentified failure to eject)

Number of States the pistol was fired in: 11
Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin

or S&W M&P 9

62,333 rounds
2 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 3 parts breakages

and the stats for the test

For those keeping track, the gun fired 62,333 rounds beginning on 22-Apr-08 and ending on 5-Dec-08, a total of 228 days, or 273.4 rounds per day.

104 total range trips, for 559.4 rounds per range day.

344 total hours on the range, for 181.2 rounds per hour.

The gun traveled through twenty U.S. States as well as British Columbia (go Abbotsford!). More than fifty people shot the gun during the test.

But buy a good gun for CCW, buy a case or two of ammo and take a quality training class and practice what they teach you.

Since you're in Ma., this.

Plenty left over for training and a quality holster.

Then again, I like 1911's.

its a great gun. but pricey. i found that the ruger p345 to be a great out of the box gun....but that is mho. if i had the extra money im not sure if i would go with the smith or with the ruger but then thats me. i dont have a lot of guns but i use what i have.

For that kind of coin you don't want to buy someone elses problems. Get a nice Sig or a Compact S&W 1911. Done did it. Get a solid holster(s)* and call it a day. Then get some training.

*Shoulder, IWB, & a Smart Carry

Might be tough to find one, but an H&K Mk23 is about that range and one hell of a nice .45. Probably not the easiest to carry concealed, but I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the one that K&R had many moons ago.

The Mk23 may be a bit much to CCW. That being said, I CCW an HK USP 45f every single day. With the right holster, it carries surprisingly well and is a laser beam. It's also just a boatload of fun to shoot...Sweetness.

glock 19 for the range, glock 26 for carry and a j-fram (shrouded hammer) for pocket carry that you will think about carrying and always go back to the glock.

Yes, in MA I am limited, but I am looking at the Sig 229 and Walther PPS.....
OK, I couldn't wait till the week-end, so I went to Four Seasons and Carl set me up with both......

Time to take them to the range and check them out........

Thanks for all your inputs......

OK, I couldn't wait till the week-end, so I went to Four Seasons and Carl set me up with both......

Time to take them to the range and check them out........

Thanks for all your inputs......

Nice! What caliber did you get?

I bought a 226 in 9 mm from Carl a few years ago and some days I think I should have got the 229 instead but they are really not that different. I have a Glock and like it fine but I worry about the plastic mags swelling so I leave them unloaded--not exactly my go to gun in that condition. Get some preban sig High caps and fillem' up!

Nice! What caliber did you get?

I bought a 226 in 9 mm from Carl a few years ago and some days I think I should have got the 229 instead but they are really not that different. I have a Glock and like it fine but I worry about the plastic mags swelling so I leave them unloaded--not exactly my go to gun in that condition. Get some preban sig High caps and fillem' up!

I got both of them in 9 mm to go with my Beretta FS 92 9 mm.......

That way I don't have to worry about which ammo to put in which pistol.......

I can't speak for it as I've not tried one but the Springfield Amory EMP is one that I find interesting. It's available in both 9mm and .40 S&W, but not available in MA. I think it goes about $1200. Which would still leave enough over for an AR or smaller BUG like a PPK. I know there is advantages to small, hammerless revolvers but I prefer the slimmer, small autos.

Sadly it is not. However, one could argue that it should be available because it is a Pro Series 1911 and Pro Series is on "the list".

Anyway, I've had my eye on this one ever since it was announced but since I didn't want to wait forever I went with a custom built 1911 from Remsport. Still, I am going to pick this one up once it becomes available.

To the OP, if this is your first gun then I would probably go with something other than a 1911. If it is not, then I would definitely suggest getting one.

That pistol of yours is very nice!

What to buy on a $2k budget

Walther PPS $600
S&W M&P 9 $600
500 rounds 9mm $160 [puke]
Leather belt holster $60
IWB holster $25
Drawer safe $80
Range bag $50
Cleaning kit $50
Extra cleaning supplies $25
Targets $20