• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA vs USPSA

Any lawful aspect of shooting that brings in new people is A Good Thing.

Both CASS and IDPA are spin-offs of USPSA; the latter for those who want to be more "tactical/practical;" the former for those who thought they could eliminate "gaming" by going backwards in time (yeah, right....).

Well, to each his own taste and each has its adherents. The more new shooters we attract, the more voters we should get out of it. So long as the newbies develop political awareness and don't become "golfers with guns" (not likely an issue for IDPA competitors), variety is a benefit.

And before you write back to tell me how good the shooters are, why don't you show up at the Steel Challenge this Saturday, or any one of the pin shoots at Chester or Country Pond and prove me wrong with your single-action shooting squib loads. I suspect that you would finish dead last. Your turn.

Ok, I'll take a turn. How about if you show up at a CAS match with a squib shooter (or ask nicely if you can borrow one from one of the regulars). If it's as easy as you say, and you're as good as you tell us you are, you'll have no problem walking in and taking first on all stages to prove your point.

There is no need to turn this into a pissing contest. I shoot primarily USPSA and prefer it to anything else with Steel following. I'm not really interested in IDPA or CASS. However, I can appreciate anyone that shoots in any or all of these games. USPSA isn't for everyone so having spin-offs is a great thing so long as we are all shooting. Shooting is a funny sport because there are so many different types of guns, shooting, and ways of doing things. I've never shot CASS and prob. never will but I find it interesting that the people get dressed up and have a fun time. I'm sure it makes for a lot of laughs for sure. Does it take as much skill as shooting USPSA??? Believe it or not it prob. does to some degree and may be even more difficult.

Let's try to unite as a shooting community and learn from each other. It will only help us all out.

Pete

Knob Creek: I think if I want to criticize something I feel is foolish, I'll criticize it. I don't need you as an editor. I have watch CAS in the past and went away shaking my head at the silly costumes, the childish names, and the general low-level of shooting skill displayed. Just about every shooter was angling to shoot the lowest power level they could possibly shoot so that they could shoot faster and miss even faster. Most used .32 and .38 caliber SA guns that shot with such low velocity that I could see the bullets most of the time. There is no need to aim in that game as the targets are so large and close to the shooter. Maybe you think that's fun, but I sure don't. Give me a game that requires shooting a real round and placing it accurately. There is no doubt that CAS is popular - I just don't understand why. And before you write back to tell me how good the shooters are, why don't you show up at the Steel Challenge this Saturday, or any one of the pin shoots at Chester or Country Pond and prove me wrong with your single-action shooting squib loads. I suspect that you would finish dead last. Your turn.

SA John

Just for the record I shoot either a matched pair of Colt SAA's in .45 Colt or a pair of S&W Model of 2000 Schofields in .45 S&W, A Lever Action rifle in .45 Colt and a SxS 12 gauge or a 1897 Winchester Pump in 12 Gauge. No "squib" loads for me.
Most are using .38's or .45's with usually female or junior shooters using .32's and very few at that. I enjoy CAS as I do IDPA and USPSA. I guess we all can't be as "manly as you are".
As easy as you say CAS is why don't you show up and shoot. With your shooting skills and as easy as you say CAS is you would be the next world champion and my new hero!

I love a challenge

Knob and Rob: You two are on. But no silly CAS format, it's beneath me. We'll shoot SA revolvers at one of the coming pin shoot in New Hampshire, or one of the steel matches like this Saturday's Steel Challenge or Sunday's 25-plate steel match at Mass Rifle. If you are smart, you'll choose one of the steel shoots as you would not have a ghost of a chance against me in pins. I win more than I lose in that game and that's against DA revolvers. Bowling pins is the toughest handgun game there is. Two CAS guys? I don't think so. After you take your beating, you'll never look at CAS the same way again unless getting dressed up like a 9-year-old cowboy with cap guns does it for you. I have all the information on upcoming pin shoots in New Hampshire if that is the form of humiliation you choose. Just get back to me and we'll put something together. And don't dissapoint, lots of folks on this forum love a good manly pissing contest. Problem for you is, after I crush you, you'll have a hard time coming back on line cause you can be damn sure I'll let everyone know the ugly outcome. Keep that in mind.

SA John

I might come up to watch. I have seen some fast revolver shooters, but I'm sure you're on another level. you have any video you can post, or do they not come out because your enormous head blocks out the sun.

How is pin shooting the toughest handgun game? no draw, no movement, no transitions, no reloads, no thinking.

Problem for you is, after I crush you, you'll have a hard time coming back on line cause you can be damn sure I'll let everyone know the ugly outcome.
I make no claim to being an excellent shooter or being able to crush anyone, so you cannot humiliate me by outshooting me. I have a great time at the USPSA matches and my gun handling doesn't scare anyone. Beyond that, unless you're a national champion, nobody really cares how well you shoot.

Mike,
Try shooting pins before belittling it.

We've all shot pins and it's pretty easy. Like Mike said there are No draws, no movement, no transitions, no reloads, no thinking, and only 5 targets.

HMMMMMM

This guy sounds like he is amazing. Let's set up a competition at Mass Rifle on Sunday. I'll skip the Westfield match to see a humiliation. Jerry Miculek better watch out we have the fastest gun in the east right here on Northeastshooters.com.

As everyone here knows I'm the fastest and most skilled USPSA shooter in the Universe yet I'm still humble.... HAHA

not belittling it Dan and I certainly not saying it is easy, like all shooting sports it takes skill. but to say its the toughest shooting game there is? you have speed and accuracy. obviously the two hardest skill to combine. now mix in the draw and big transition of steel challenge or the time constrainst of Bianchi. it just got harder. At the top level of shooting, all the sports are extremely difficult. but for a new shooter, which would be harder to start on, Pins or IDPA?

Last edited:
If you look at it from a competitive viewpoint, it's not possible for any shooting sport to be "harder" than any other. If you go to an event with 100 competitors, you need to beat 99 of them to take high overall.

This is beginning to sound like the silly arguments over which martial arts style is "best" (whatever "best" really means).

Last edited:
We've all shot pins and it's pretty easy. .... HMMMMMM

This guy sounds like he is amazing. Let's set up a competition at Mass Rifle on Sunday. I'll skip the Westfield match to see a humiliation. Jerry Miculek better watch out we have the fastest gun in the east right here on Northeastshooters.com.

Hey - I thought 10mmDave was the fastest Pin Shooter in the world - actually he is!

Have never shot either of these two events but have been reading other's posts about them. Is IDPA the more popular style of action shooting in New England? I've only shot PPC back in the late 70s and some handgun silhouette in the early 80s. Recently I've become hooked on bowling pins. Am curious about the other games. (no interest at all in Cowboy Nonsense shooting, even though I love single-action revolvers)

SA John

Normally I would encourage a shooter to shoot both as I have done. However in your case based on your responses here I'd just as soon you stay away. They may be beneath your abilities (we are not worthy) and I think we can do without your attitute and ego poisoning games we enjoy.

Knob and Rob: You two are on. But no silly CAS format, it's beneath me. We'll shoot SA revolvers at one of the coming pin shoot in New Hampshire, or one of the steel matches like this Saturday's Steel Challenge or Sunday's 25-plate steel match at Mass Rifle.

Translation: No, I won't accept the actual challenge.

Let's review. The :

How about if you show up at a CAS match with a squib shooter (or ask nicely if you can borrow one from one of the regulars). If it's as easy as you say, and you're as good as you tell us you are, you'll have no problem walking in and taking first on all stages to prove your point.

What part of "CAS match" does our resident World's Greatest Shooter not comprehend? [rolleyes]

Shooting one's own game with a different gun is STILL playing one's own game; not the one you were challenged to.

How is pin shooting the toughest handgun game? no draw, no movement, no transitions, no reloads, no thinking.

I've shot pins and enjoyed it. The above assessment is, however, correct.

not belittling it Dan and I certainly not saying it is easy, like all shooting sports it takes skill. but to say its the toughest shooting game there is? you have speed and accuracy. obviously the two hardest skill to combine. now mix in the draw and big transition of steel challenge or the time constrainst of Bianchi. it just got harder. At the top level of shooting, all the sports are extremely difficult. but for a new shooter, which would be harder to start on, Pins or IDPA?

For a new shooter, I'd go with IDPA. You're right, there is more to keep track of once the timer goes off. The other thing, I think most of the local pin shoots are man on man, not total time, like Second Chance was. Now that was a Fun match!

I say - try what you want and stick with what you enjoy. Who cares what others like or don't like.

If you want freestyle go with USPSA (my personal favorite), you want "defensive" go with IDPA, you want to go in a time machine and wear fancy duds - CAS... The list goes on and on. Thats what makes shooting sports awesome. There is something for everyone.

Most importantly- if you like em' all I hope you have a FAT wallet.

I love shooting - I just choose which types I want to enjoy. Just like, I love motorcycles but I choose to ride an HD.[shocked] I know they are not for everyone, but I don't give a shit what everyone else wants to ride.

Last edited:
SA John

I've watched this man shoot pins on three occasions using a single-action revolver. I think he could beat anyone on this forum even if they used an auto pistol. He's unnaturally accurate. A couple of weeks ago, I watched him beat every shooter at Lawrence Fish and Game head to head with his cowboy gun against their modern auto pistols. (there were no other revolvers shooting) He even won in matches that had 10 targets and required reloading. All pins were at the longer distance of 40-50 feet. I don't think he missed more than one shot out of 150 or so. He won every solo match and he won with his partner in every team match. He took all the money. Don't shoot against this man until you have watched him in action. I don't know where he came from, but he's here now. He's the perfect sandbagger. Don't bet any money.

Sydney

P.S. I come from Arizona and have shot alot of rifle sihouette down along the border of Mexico. We like to bet down there on anything shooting related. This man is familiar to me - not the person, the type. I don't think he cares about titles and such. Again, don't bet money you can't do without.

I've watched this man shoot pins on three occasions using a single-action revolver. I think he could beat anyone on this forum even if they used an auto pistol.
Sydney

thats a pretty bold statement. SAJohn may or may not be the next Jerry Miculek, I guess it depends on the level of competition at the local events.
big fish, little pond kinda thing.

Back on topic - I think "Round Gun Shooter" response sums it up:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=454014&postcount=18

Thanks Paul, I knew it would end up a pissing contest. It always does no matter where it takes place.

My suggestion to all is before everyone's shoes get wet, get out and try the sport you don't shoot. I did it this year by playing Bulls eye every Monday night all winter. I had a great time even if I only made just under a 265 average. Next year will be better. I'm hooked.

Try them all. Trigger time is a good time and there is really no need to piss all over each other is there?

I will have spare gear at bass River Sunday if you want to play. Bring 45ACP ammo and you can use my M&P

BTW, 10MM DAVE is my hero too :)

I've truly shot a whole bunch of these games including many CAS matches, a few IDPA, tons of bullseye, and every once in awhile I go to a USPSA match. They're all a blast and the people are great at every event.

SA John's original post was simply, should I go try an IDPA or USPSA match? I think we all agree that the short answer is, go to whichever event is most convenient and won't piss off the wife. They're both wicked fun. I'd hate like heck to see SAJ staying away from both games because we went off track like a bloodhound tracking drugs in Afghanistan.

Don't worry Dan, I live for competition of all kinds and I'm not afraid to lose. There's nothing more fun than to blow your own horn and force a bunch of angry guys into some kind of contest. Guns, archery, golf, doesn't matter to me. I can lose like a gent, but first I have to drag some poor, dumb, SOB into the fire first. If it takes trash-talking online, so be it. You gotta love the internet. One other thought: I'm going to move this topic to a new post titled "Big Head" so that it will be less cumbersome to navigate around in. I'm all messed up trying to attribute quotes to different partys. And maybe this thing we're doing is starting to go a little stale. But if you are still interested I'll write one last note under Big Head and then I have to split to catch a plane at Logan. Will be gone till late Friday, and I'll be out of computer reach. So don't think I'm ignoring you.

SA John

I've truly shot a whole bunch of these games including many CAS matches, a few IDPA, tons of bullseye, and every once in awhile I go to a USPSA match. They're all a blast and the people are great at every event.

SA John's original post was simply, should I go try an IDPA or USPSA match? I think we all agree that the short answer is, go to whichever event is most convenient and won't piss off the wife. They're both wicked fun. I'd hate like heck to see SAJ staying away from both games because we went off track like a bloodhound tracking drugs in Afghanistan.

Dan,
As usual, your right on the money.
and I've tried to stay very quiet on this one,
(I am so try'n to be a nicer human being)

A question for you.
Is it too late to modify some of A7 stages to include pins? you already got a s'load of steel, maybe we can sneak in some pins in their place......

(I know, they aren't legal USPSA targets),
Well, how about a couple of pin side matches?
I will pay for SAJ's entry fee to A7, if he is willing to come try a different sport. And we all can get are butt's kicked in a side match![rolleyes]
Thoughtfully,
9x21

Hey what do I need to say to get somebody to pay my entry fee?? [pot]
Matt, you just need to learn to talk trash more![rofl] Since we all know everyone who shows up to any match puts their skills on the line, I really need to see this 7th wonder, inform the press, call Jerry Miculek and give him the bad news.............[banana]

Back
Top Bottom