• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA vs USPSA

Just because we have high cap mags doesn't mean we spray and pray. That totally isn't the way I shoot. I'm always aiming whenever I'm shooting. I train for all A's not just to hit a target and hope for an A. As for the 25 steel I've done it many times before and love it. As for the 14 second run I was just giving a generalization. I figure an average of a .3 split on all targets so about 9 seconds of shooting, reacting to the buzzer with a 1 second or less first shot, being limited to 10 round mags I figure (2) 1 second reloads for a time of 12 seconds with a couple of make up shots to even out at 14-16 seconds. Obviously, the difficulty of the different targets and the way they fall will change these times and misses as well but for a good stage that is where I feel I "should" be at. Keep in mind most of these plates are fairly close together. However, throw in a Texas Star and everything changes.

Pete

Sorry for the spray fest comment but your generalization of USPSA shooters being the most talented was insulting to those that shoot other disciplines.

I will give you one last comment. A truly talented shooter can shoot all disciplines well.

Again, this started as a question from the OP as to what the differences were between USPSA & IDPA. It turned into a my dogs bigger than your dog chest thumping insulting thread that I wish I had never joined in. This and threads like it is why I left this board a while ago.

This is the most ridiculous waste of space I have seen in some time and I apologize for trying to make sense of it.

Last edited:
Round Gun, Please don't get all emotional over this. We both know where this was heading as soon as it started.. Take it for what it is and call it a day. Your opinions and out standing contribution to this forum are highly admired and welcomed. Do not let a stupid thread like this get you bunched up. BTW: This all started by the same member that posted the original question about IDPA vs USPSA, He is the one that turned it sideways.

Let's make sure we keep the equipment within the current USPSA rules. I am not the match director and have only the say of a RO and club member but I am sure that since this is a USPSA match it will need to be USPSA legal gear and firearms. OK?
[devil2][pot]

Good point, I dont care about the stuff being legal, I'll still use my legal stuff, if he wanted to bring a Glock18, I'd still be fine with that as long as the administration was.

Pete- dont hurt yourself trying to figure out where to shoot this weekend and then not shooting anywhere. Get out there and shoot!

Last edited:
Round Gun- You are 100% correct and I should not have made that comment about USPSA shooters being the most talented. That is just one opinion of an average shooter (myself) and was taken out of context. All shooting disciplines esp. at the top levels require an equal skill set. I think what I was truly trying to state is that for the most part USPSA shooters have "more" areas they need to master not that they are better shooters. After all on some stages you can shoot really really fast and have a few misses and still win the stage. A stage should be solved with good shooting not just fast shooting and hoping you hit a target. Accuracy should be the #1 focus of all shooting sports.

As I said previously as long as you are shooting all is good. We need to unite as a community and like you said we need to try different games. We never want to be one dimensional and should be great at many different games. Most of the guys in this area (including most of the USPSA guys and gals) are great at other disciplines as well.

Gary, I hope you don't leave this forum as you're a great asset to this forum and the shooting sports as well. You are one of the nicest guys out there and are always willing to offer your equipment and knowledge to all who is willing. That says a lot about your character. I truly hope that I didn't offend you or anyone else on this board with that comment.

Pete

What it really comes down to is, the best shooters load on LEE Precision[devil]

[horse]

Yeah, this one

leeloader.jpg

I can't believe you guys are still kicking this around. Wasting all this server space on this thread is why the "sold" items had to be taken off-line...

Besides, everyone knows that ICORE and GSSF are the two BEST games in town. :)

-Cuz.

What it really comes down to is, the best shooters load on LEE Precision[devil]

[horse]

Michael... Michael... What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?
Had you been loading on a Dillon 1050, then you would be at least a Master class shooter
this very day.[laugh2]

Michael... Michael... What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully?

Maybe it was my first year shooting, when you asked " Hey Kid, you ever try an Open gun? Don't worry, you won't get addicted" [smile]

Had you been loading on a Dillon 1050, then you would be at least a Master class shooter this very day.[laugh2]

A nice Stippled grip is what will take me to master and beyond[wink]

John speaks the truth, I think I was still loading on my 550 when i was a B shooter, but the 1050, that helped me at the match, somehow.

Then I should be a master by now then.... I have a 1050 with a K.I.S.S. bullet feeder. Oh wait but I always miss the matches. HAHA

Mark my words... One year from today I will have an "M" on my card whether I write it on there or I actually earn it. haha

Oh, and when my backup gun gets here there will be no stopping me.
[horse]

Last edited:
SA John- Where were you today??? We all missed you...

Sorry I had to bail a bit early today but I had a great time. I got to my wifes baby shower just in time to pack everything up. Oh my god we got WAY TOO MANY THINGS!!!!

SA John- Where were you today??? We all missed you...

Sorry I had to bail a bit early today but I had a great time. I got to my wifes baby shower just in time to pack everything up. Oh my god we got WAY TOO MANY THINGS!!!! We filled both my truck and my car without an inch to spare.

See you guys next weekend at Harvard.

Pistol-Pete

Hey you're gonna spoil the fun Paul! [laugh]

I actually thought he was so close the blast of the gun might have popped the balloons.

Pete, myself, and our buddy, Jake were members of the USPSA Rookie Class of 04. That's how I remember it. Denton was class of 05, Mike (Supermoto) was 06, and Rob (Noidlight) was 07.

You have to keep track of this stuff so you can bust balls appropriately.

Last edited:
Black powder no shot. If you could watch slo mo I would bet he is getting more than one balloon per shot. Damn gamers [rofl][rofl][rofl]

Even with gamer loads that was some pretty sporty shooting. Here were the times:

.26 draw to left balloon
.16 split to right balloon
.18 split to top balloon
.14 split to middle balloon
.14 split to bottom balloon

Pete...How long have you been shooting IPSC and how long has it been since you have been shooting an open gun?

Steve is correct but he left out the fact that I took all of last year off like an idiot. Now, I have a ton of making up to do. I've been shooting an open gun for about 2 years or so now with the loss of last year.

Pete

SA John better get practicing to keep up with this balloon popping guy...

I think Pete and I were learning to shoot steel together in 2002 at MRA (correct me if I'm wrong Pete). I got sucked in to USPSA not long after he did. I was shooting some of the matches for a while but I don't think I joined until 2006. I think that was the beginning of the downward sprial called my wallet!

Now... If I could just get that last damn good classifier. [grin] My friends would not call me a sandbagger anymore. [shocked] [rofl]

Matt,

You might be correct. I did start shooting steel in 2002 at MRA. I know I did that for a while before going to a USPSA match. John Sardina brought me to a match and I've been broke ever since. I'm totally focused now and won't stop until I get my master and then grand master card.

Pete

Class of 04 and you think you should be a Master by now? Well, it can be done but it takes alot more than years put in. Dedication and total disregard for almost everything else will bring you close. I firmly believe that if our friend 9x21 wasnt a family guy with a full time job, he could have been a Master shooter by now.

For me, I joined the USPSA 4/89 decided I wanted to really focus on it and take it seriously in 1991. I had my M card issued 12.29.92

For me it took 1000 rounds a week in practice alone. 2.5 hours of dry fire every night. Out in the back yard after work working on foot work in and out of shooting boxes. I shot every USPSA match I could find I could drive to. 2 hour rides to Manchester NH in a blizzard on tuesday nights because I knew the boys at Wilson Hill would be there holding the weekly Match. Driving in pouring rain for 3.5-4 hrs to Dutches County to shoot with Yoichi Ota still in the pouring rain.

You want to get the M card? You have to work at it. I see a couple shooters that are close to puting in what it takes. Mike, Steve...keep at it, your close!

Back
Top Bottom