IDPA newbie question

I might have gotten myself in a pickle, and before I either look stupid, or make a total ass out of myself, I figured I'd turn to NES for help (as I always do).

A old high school friend of a friend is in the military and shoots IDPA. He knows I shoot, and asked (through my friend) if I'm into USPSA or IDPA. I said I was interested in IDPA, but that part got garbled in the translation, and it came out that I shoot IDPA.

Long story short, it turns out that my friend of a friend is going to be in Mass shooting in some sort of military IDPA competition in a week, and I think I've been invited to participate.

This sounds like a great opportunity and a ton of fun, and I'd hate to pass it up. Like I said, I've wanted to get into IDPA, I just haven't had the chance yet. This just might be that chance.

I know a lot of you compete in IDPA - is there any way I can learn the sport in a week? I don't need to be competitive, just good enough that I can participate without making an ass out of myself. Or should I just politely decline and try to save face?

I was told the competition was under "military rules" if that makes a difference.

If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Christopher

Worcester Pistol & Rifle is have a match in 1 1/2 ...come down and check it out.

Or just google IDPA on the computer! "Military" Rules well you got me there?????? It wouldn't be an IDPA match then.

I know a lot of you compete in IDPA - is there any way I can learn the sport in a week? I don't need to be competitive, just good enough that I can participate without making an ass out of myself. Or should I just politely decline and try to save face?

Definitely go! Everyone makes an ass out of themselves with pretty good regularity shooting competition, newbie or not. Let the match director know you are new and focus on the safety aspects. Prepare to get hooked.

I do a bunch of IDPA but I really don't know what the military rules are. Either way if it's your first time the main to focus on should be safety. Take your time and ask questions if you have them. Do you have much practice drawing from the holster and reloading? Just go slow and have fun!!

Don't worry about it.

Tell your friend that you are a newbie and don't have a lot of experience. Also tell the Range Officer and any other match officials you deal with. They'll help you along, with a focus on safety.

Focus on hits, not for speed. Make sure you follow the safety rules that can disqualify you if you forget them. Other than that, don't worry about your score.

The fear of looking "foolish" in front of others with firearms is unique of men and one of the biggest impediments for enjoying competition.

We are not born shooters.

I believe the match you are talking about is at S&W and is Military only. If you qualify, go. From what I understand, it is an IDPA style match and will be run by IDPA rules by the S&W League shooters under the supervision of Tom Yost, Area Coordinator for IDPA in New England.

To be safe in IDPA or any other action sport, you need a basic understanding of what is involved. You should get to a club level match or at least attend a new shooter briefing.

If you have never participated in an action pistol event, I would suggest you do not attend this match. They may not be able to spend as much time with you as you may need.

The suggestions posted are well intentioned, but attending a match that seems to be a major match with no experience is not a good idea IMNSHO.

Bass River on Cape Cod has a match tomorrow at 0930 shooting starts at 10AM. I suspect it will be a small match and you could get the pointers you need if you are up front and tell them it is your first match.

If you decide to go to the S&W match, at least familiarize yourself with the rules and range commands. e mail me and I will send you a word document for briefing new shooters which explains some basics.

[email protected]

Regards,

Last edited:
If you have never participated in an action pistol event, I would suggest you do not attend this match. They may not be able to spend as much time with you as you may need.

The suggestions posted are well intentioned, but attending a match that seems to be a major match with no experience is not a good idea IMNSHO.

I agree. I cringe when I read posts on the CMP forum of total newbies wanting to go to Camp Perry without ever participating in a local match. Big mistake. The National Matches are open to everyone, but new shooters must realize that their lack of experience can shit all over someone else's serious attempt at EIC points, the President's Hundred, or one of the many trophies and awards that can only be earned there.

If you are a newbie and can go to a big time match, do so only after you have a basic, working knowledge of the sport. Don't go cold. It will suck for you and everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom