• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA Qualifier

I searched on the IDPA site and there were no qualifier matches listed. Are there any clubs that regularly do qualifiers? I’ve only shot one match and I had a blast. I’d like to try the qualifier to see where I really stand and have a tangible goal to improve upon.

I searched on the IDPA site and there were no qualifier matches listed. Are there any clubs that regularly do qualifiers? I’ve only shot one match and I had a blast. I’d like to try the qualifier to see where I really stand and have a tangible goal to improve upon.
Classifier you mean.

Only club I know that has one coming up is Old Colony in Pembroke. It’s $20 and it’s after the match I believe.

What part of the world are you in? PM me if you want the contact information for a private range in CT that will schedule the idpa classification whenever you want

I wish you better luck than I have with these qualifiers 😂. It’s really only if you are planning to shoot a state match.

I don’t think the qualifier translates to ability.

I wish you better luck than I have with these qualifiers 😂. It’s really only if you are planning to shoot a state match.

I think the standard classifier (72 round) is a good overall test of the skills necessary to perform well at an IDPA match. It has drawing, reloading, transitions, shooting while moving and from cover, as well as strong hand only and weak hand only. If you practice each of those things you can do well at the classifier and in IDPA in general. Its no secret.

I think the newer abbreviated 5x5 is a bit too easy. I'm not saying its easy, but it tests less skills than the standard classifier and for that reason can overclassify a shooter.

Last edited:
Sjan beat me to it lol. The old classifier had some difficulty but the new one is way too basic IMO.

It’s safe to say that most USPSA classifiers are WAAAY harder than the IDPA classifier. Not to mention you don’t get classified after one classifier stage in USPSA.

I’ve been at Master class in IDPA for awhile and it took me quite a bit of time to reach A class (Production) in USPSA. Being Master class in USPSA is not easy to do. But then again they are VERY different games.

I will be running a few classifiers coming up soon.

On April 2 I will be running an Intro To IDPA Clinic. I'll be putting the link on Practiscore in a day or two. That is a full day and will be split into some class time and some range time. I'd like to include a 5x5 classifier but I need to check on that because we are moving from our program that we ran the last 4 years to the Official IDPA one.

On May 7 we will have a match at WSA. It will include the full classifier, 3 stages, or the 5x5, 1 stage. Regardless it will be embedded in the match and will absolutely contain one form of the classifier. I will also add a match on Practiscore for that soon.

Last edited:
I think the newer abbreviated 5x5 is a bit too easy. I'm not saying its easy, but it tests less skills than the standard classifier and for that reason can overclassify a shooter.

I do not agree unless you sit there and practice it a lot before shooting it. The times are tight and 1 mistake can cost you.

I ran a 5x5 this weekend for some shooters. There were 5 of us. We are all classified either SS or Expert. During the initial practice runs few of us qualified at our current levels.

On CO I was unclassified. First run I was down 1 and missed SS by less than a second. I will admit to shooting it with a gun I don't shoot often but I expected SS on the first time. Call me a sandbagger but I called it and took the MM rating just be classified for the season.
I classifed SS in BUG back in 17 with the full classifier. Haven't shot bug since then. I used my EDC, Gen 1 Shield with 7 round mags, and I was down 2 with a final of 30.12 . That was good for SS and now I'm good just in case I want to shoot bug but I don't see that happening.
For CCP I was unclassified. I used P320X Compant which is really too small for my hand and I couldn't get better than the low 30s for MM.

There were 2 experts. One in ESP and the CCP. Neither could get better than SS on multiple runs. One guy was a expert in CDP and for whatever the reason he couldn't get better than MM if I remember.

All I'm saying is that I've been running 5x5 classifiers since they came out and in general I don't see a lot of people move up and I see tons who can't even classify at their current rating.

Actually I don’t think the abbreviated one translates lol. I butchered it pretty bad. Not sure where they came up with 5 consecutive shots as a standard but I’d be curious to try again if I had $25 to waste. Oh and one handed will drop you quite a few levels 😂🤣 don’t ask me how I know.

Actually I don’t think the abbreviated one translates lol. I butchered it pretty bad. Not sure where they came up with 5 consecutive shots as a standard but I’d be curious to try again if I had $25 to waste. Oh and one handed will drop you quite a few levels 😂🤣 don’t ask me how I know.
Yeah I hate weak hand shooting. I have to use Kentucky windage and aim ~6 inches to the left of the down zero, as I somehow pull them….😂

Yeah I hate weak hand shooting. I have to use Kentucky windage and aim ~6 inches to the left of the down zero, as I somehow pull them….😂

Haha yea the guy that was scoring went to the first target…then to my 2nd and was like ummm not sure it’s worth it to score the rest. That was all I needed to hear.

Haha yea the guy that was scoring went to the first target…then to my 2nd and was like ummm not sure it’s worth it to score the rest. That was all I needed to hear.
🤣🤣
You shooting the Worcester match on Saturday? Will be messy but at least it won’t be freezing cold out.

I wish looked full 🙁 on PractiScore
Gotcha. I signed up Saturday night when it said one spot left and got in on squad 2. Right now it says one spot left but match is full.

Always worth it to register and see if someone backs out last minute.

Did anyone shoot the live free or die match last fall. Did anyone get their plaque yet or are we supposed to pickup in person? Asking for a friend.

Did anyone shoot the live free or die match last fall. Did anyone get their plaque yet or are we supposed to pickup in person? Asking for a friend.
Yeah they take awhile. I haven’t received mine.

I didn’t get my 2019 LFOD plaque until April 2020. So if that means anything we’ll be waiting until the spring. No biggie

Back
Top Bottom