• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA Qualifier

I never got one from 2019. At least I think I should have one for 2nd ESP
I THINK there needed to be at least 6 shooters in your class/division? Looking at the scores, there were 5.
I could be wrong

You need to be a member, but don't have to be classified. That's an IDPA thing. I shot my first A7 at Harvard unclassified. The hard part is to get registered before it fills or we crash practiscore.
Good to know. I knew you had to be a member but wasn’t sure about classification

I THINK there needed to be at least 6 shooters in your class/division? Looking at the scores, there were 5.
I could be wrong

Match Admin Guide
M-4 Awards
Tier two and higher matches will provide a minimum of one
award for each 5 entrants, rounding up. One award for 1-5 entrants, two
awards for 6-10 entrants, etc.
For Tier Two and higher matches the MD may choose to give more trophies
and/or awards by awarding the top one-fourth or top one-third of shooters;
however every division must use the same ratio.

So if there are less than 5 and the MD decides to give a 1st. place trophy it must be done for ALL divisions/classes with less than 5.

As an MD for the MA States a bunch of times I always gave 1st. place trophies if it was less than 5 shooters however it is not required.

Just to put some number on this:

2019 MA States 198 Shooters - Awards for Everyone (I was the MD)
46 Large Plaques
15 Small Plaques
$1340

2018 MA States 204 Shooters - Awards By The Book (I was the MD but I delegated trophy duty)
29 Large Plaques
17 Small Plaques
$850

As you can see. Giving out extra trophies/plaques can add a fair amount of $ to your budget.

So if I wanted to participate in the MA state IDPA match, do I need to be classified first?

ETA: I know I will be severely overmatched, but I love shooting IDPA and I LOVE competition, I don’t mind getting my ass kicked, I just really enjoy competing in anything (ask my 10 year old, I never let him win any time we play anything lol).

So if I wanted to participate in the MA state IDPA match, do I need to be classified first?

ETA: I know I will be severely overmatched, but I love shooting IDPA and I LOVE competition, I don’t mind getting my ass kicked, I just really enjoy competing in anything (ask my 10 year old, I never let him win any time we play anything lol).

Yes. You must be an active member of IDPA and be classified. You have plenty of time to get classified and get some practice.

Dave Draper - MD 2022 Ruger MA State IDPA Championship

Dude get classified and register for the match! Don't worry about "winning". It's fun to shoot more complicated stages.

Looking on practiscore I see there is a match this weekend at OCSA in Pembroke, which unfortunately I can’t make. There is an intro to IDPA course next weekend at the same location, does anyone know if they do a qualifier at the class?

Yes. You must be an active member of IDPA and be classified. You have plenty of time to get classified and get some practice.

Dave Draper - MD 2022 Ruger MA State IDPA Championship

Hi Dave - if we got a match bump last fall do we still need to get a fresh qualifier this year or does a bump cover the annual qual?

Hi Dave - if we got a match bump last fall do we still need to get a fresh qualifier this year or does a bump cover the annual qual?

Match bump has nothing to do with a classifier. A match bump will move you up a classification, like from Marksman to Sharpshooter, Sharpshooter to Expert etc.

Shooting a tiered match will extend your classification date by 1 year. By last fall I assume you mean LFOD. So if you shot LFOD it will extend the classification date for whatever division you shot by 1 year. This should be reflected in your shooter profile on IDPA website.

So how do I check. I upload a list of all the IDPA membership numbers shooting the match. I then download the response file which has the expiration date of your membership and the date of your classification for each division. This is used to verify your membership and classification status. If you disagree with my determination then it is between you and IDPA unless I made a mistake. I can't change the data. I use what IDPA tells me.

Last edited:
Match bump has nothing to do with a classifier. A match bump will move you up a classification, like from Marksman to Sharpshooter, Sharpshooter to Expert etc.

Shooting a tiered match will extend your classification date by 1 year. By last fall I assume you mean LFOD. So if you shot LFOD it will extend the classification date for whatever division you shot by 1 year. This should be reflected in your shooter profile on IDPA website.

So how do I check. I upload a list of all the IDPA membership numbers shooting the match. I then download the response file which has the expiration date of your member ship and the date of your classification for each division. This is used to verify your membership and classification status. If you disagree with my determination then it is between you and IDPA unless I made a mistake. I can't change the data. I use what IDPA tells me.
So if I wanted to shoot the ma match I would need to do a qualifier within 365 days and the bump won’t count? Thanks!

Looking on practiscore I see there is a match this weekend at OCSA in Pembroke, which unfortunately I can’t make. There is an intro to IDPA course next weekend at the same location, does anyone know if they do a qualifier at the class?
Doesn’t look they mention anything about a classifier. I’m sure upcoming matches at Woburn or Harvard will have a classifier before MA States rolls around.

I’m just glad you don’t go backwards if you blow a classifier!

Yeah I hate weak hand shooting. I have to use Kentucky windage and aim ~6 inches to the left of the down zero, as I somehow pull them….😂
I used to do that. I corrected it by more finger on the trigger, right into the first knuckle. Works like a charm

Yeah I hate weak hand shooting. I have to use Kentucky windage and aim ~6 inches to the left of the down zero, as I somehow pull them….😂

That might be a dominant eye issue.

If you're typical, you're right handed and right eye dominant. When you swap pistol to the left hand, if you keep your left foot forward, you may be using your left eye more than usual. The fix for that may be to put your right foot forward.

Note "typical" and "may" in above statements, YMMV.

That might be a dominant eye issue.

If you're typical, you're right handed and right eye dominant. When you swap pistol to the left hand, if you keep your left foot forward, you may be using your left eye more than usual. The fix for that may be to put your right foot forward.

Note "typical" and "may" in above statements, YMMV.
You could be right. I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

I was pleasantly surprised to see I got 2. Not bragging but in all honesty I thought being a division champ would be enough and imply I don’t need a 1st place trophy in my division as well?🤪
That’s how they did NER but that’s a different crew/club running it so.

I was pleasantly surprised to see I got 2. Not bragging but in all honesty I thought being a division champ would be enough and imply I don’t need a 1st place trophy in my division as well?🤪
That’s how they did NER but that’s a different crew/club running it so.
😂 what a modest guy no sand bagging here lol

Back
Top Bottom