Ideas on Garaging Convertible for the Winter

Hey Folks-
I've got an old Miata that has never seen winter-- my new house has a long driveway but no garage, so I'm looking for thoughts on places to garage it-- I'm in the Worcester area and wondering if any of my fellow NES Members have a similar situation and how they deal with it.

I've tried a couple of storage units-- but the first one was way too expensive, the second one was like leaving it in my driveway and the third one seemed like a great deal but I couldn't get out of the car once I got it into the space, never mind covering it.

I'm going to see if anyone in the neighborhood has garage space, and I'll even try a Craigslist ad but if any of you have suggestions or solutions I haven't thought of please let me know.
Thanks

There are garage spaces for rent, but they'll cost you. $100-150/month depending on the space. Maybe more. I forget what I paid last year. It's tough with 6+ months OUT of use.

Some garages are safer than others. Some are on some guy's property. Others are old car storage or mechanic's garages. Some are professional spaces. (There is one of those in Seekonk or Swansea or something.)

Another option is a storage facility. But that's gonna run you more than the $150/mo. Possibly a bit more secure.

Find a friend with a spare garage bay and pay them $500/yr to store it for you? That'll be cheaper than any of the above.

I've got one word to contribute to this thread:

Mice.

Absolutely.

I restored my '83 GT convertible over 5 years ago and every winter I keep it garaged at the in-laws'. They have a cat that lives in that garage year-round. The cat was feral for years before they rescued it. The thing is a terminator so there are zero rodents in that garage. I put large pieces of cardboard on top the Noah car cover in case the cat wants to jump on it. Which it does occasionally.
When I had bought the car in 2011, the previous owner kept it in his filthy, mouse-infested garage for years and when I started taking the car apart, I found three dead mice. Two under the rear seat and one inside the right rear frame rail. Gross.

OP, if you're going to keep it outside, get yourself some of those peppermint oil rodent deterrent packages. They're pretty cheap. Keep the battery inside your house and trickle it if you can. Tires/rims kept inside too if possible. I douse my tires with Tire Magic or whatever that stuff is when I put it away every November. But again mine stays inside 'til Spring. Different scenario if you can't afford to keep it inside

Turner Motorsports is where I've left my car 2 winters, but last year a buddy bought a huge garage in Brockton and he, myself, and 5 or so people left our cars there for the winter. It was a pain coordinating getting it back in the spring, but it was free, heated, and secure. I'm thinking about leaving it in my garage this year, putting a heating block under the engine (just in case) and hooking up a battery tender. My wife will take the other garage spot and I'll park outside. Not ideal, but it's what I have to work with.

1/2 the price of the tractor supply one:

10 ft. x 17 ft. Portable Garage

A friend has one and it has been impressively sturdy, withstanding the snowstorms and heavy rainstorms of the past 2 years.

Pull the battery and keep it indoors on an automatic battery tender.

Spread gravel and rodent repellent on the ground.

word of mouth in work got me a heated garage space in lowell when i had the cobra mustang. a co-workers elderly father had a bay open in a 2 car garage. they never thought of renting the space either until his son, the co-worker, mentioned it to him. rented it every winter for 5 years.

i passed on a lot of those minuscule spaces myself until this came up. just do what you're doing, get the word out, something will come up.

Shelter logic barn style with the heavier material. My 12 foot wide by 20 foot long by 9 foot high has lasted 10+ years through all the wind and feet of snow. I finally had to replace the roll up door this year. You must build it straight and pull the covering tight so it can not flap in the wind!! If mine collapsed tomorrow I would buy another in a minute!!

Here is a picture after we moved it 35' then poured a concrete slab and moved it back. I was afraid after 10+ years it would rip or split moving it but it held up great. We did brace it with wood across so it wouldn't spread. If you are not going to pour a concrete slab at least put a tarp on the ground and up a couple feet on all sides to keep moisture, snow, and some critters out. For rodent prevention I use peppermint oil and mice poison/traps.

IMG-20190516-091825546.jpg

I would have a tough time leaving my toy at a strangers house....
I second the idea of getting a good quality "pop up" garage. Yes it will be unheated but just getting the car out of the wind and snow is key. The cold isn't an issue as long as you clean it well, change the fluids, remove the battery, use fuel stabilizer, and prep components such as rubber hoses with a good amount of Armor All. Then you can still take it out on those weird 50 degree days we get and have a jump on spring too..

You laid a $1200 slab of concrete and put up a $500 canopy.
:eek:
I wish I could have had the concrete poured for $1200, it was $3000 which was half what a member here quoted me!!

And the car shelter, not a canopy was about $1200, about $1600 now. That is why it lasted 10+ years in all the wind and snow. I see the Cheap ones all tattered and blowing in the wind everywhere!!

I would have a tough time leaving my toy at a strangers house....
honestly, i did feel that way at first when i went into the space for the first time. i accepted the offer after i saw how immaculate the garage was and how much space we had. worked out good, plus i had visitation rights. i was over there every week end.

Toy Motorsports in Marlboro charges $700 for winter storage. They keep a trickle charger on the battery...Used them a few times. Not cheap but convenient and car comes out clean in the spring.

Bring it to me in Tennessee. I have a 28x30 ft garage/shop, concrete floor, cinder block walls. George the snake and his family will keep the mice away. You won't even need a trickle charger, I'll drive it for you once a month or so to keep all the moving parts "moving". Bring me a case or two of ammo when you drop off the car[banana]

These are great suggestions-- thank you! I'm ahead of you on the mice situation and have quite a few home remedy plans for keeping them away.
Marlboro and Gardner are both well within distance and what I'd want to pay, but this portable garage thing might be the thing to do.
Thanks again fellow NES'rs!

008.jpg My boat is in an old 8' x 20' King Canopy Hercules tent frame. I got tired of pushing the snow off it after every storm (and during a few), and replacing the cover every few years. I had a friend shrink wrap the top while he was doing some of the boats at our club.
Before he did it, I added some additional rafters with fence poles and hardware and pulled the eaves inward with cable. It's been through four winters now, and I haven't even had to pull the snow and ice off it. It falls off by itself, with help from the wind and sun. I could have done the sides too, but he was running out of wrap.
I've seen photos of shrink wrapped enclosures with doors and windows.

Last edited:
my buddy has an inflatable similar to this. Except, his looks like a loaf of bread from the outside while inflated.
:)
https://www.amazon.com/CarCapsule-C...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B014HCT3V8
(there are other/better models - amazon link just a sample)

Airflow keeps moisture at bay. Even if you do the ribbed soft shell shelter as suggested, keep the air flowing. Those soft shells (shelter-it type) are notorious for condensing moisture so badly it rains inside. If you plan to install over 'dirt' (non-paved) surfaces, I'd lay a large tarp as a floor to assist in reducing condensation under the car.

Mothballs (lots) for the mice but, hope you don't mind the smell cuz it'll stay in the car for a few weeks (sunlight helps dissipate).

-that's all I got - good luck!

ETA: In my experience, the soft top of those ribbed shelters lasts about 5 years. I ended up putting a metal roof on mine.

Tough call. You can cover it and leave it in your driveway, but take care of the battery. If you can't start it regularly to keep the battery up, you should put a battery minder on it. That way you can use it should your other car have a problem. Jack.
When people store antique cars indoors, they DISCONNECT the battery, to make it less of a fire hazard! Just sayin'

When I owned my Chevelle, I'd leave it in the garage at the Lake. Mui mal. 3 winters of that and I was extra all done. The mice problem was somewhat subdued, but significant. When they pulled the rear seats to fix the convertible pumps, it was like Christmas in there. The place was shredded. :(

I'll spend the $500-700 to put it away right. Seems like cheap money. The place I had my Mustang in last year seemed great. Full 24/7 access if I wanted it and it was clean dry and pest free.

Back
Top Bottom