Idea for old beat up AR mag refinishing!!!

I tried this out on a Pre-ban 30 AR mag which had obviously been through it's rounds (no pun intended). I sanded it down with a 600 grit metal sand paper, cleaned it, laid down a couple base coats of satin black Allow to dry half hour. I had pre marked (with a lightly etched line all the way around) where the receiver ends and the mag becomes exposed. I located the etching, then masked off from the line to the top of the mag where the rounds are fed with electrical tape. This way the area of the mag that sits in the receiver will be protected from the rubberized coating when being applied to the lower portion. Remember to keep the can of rubberized coating far away so it doesn't go on too thick. Apply 3 light coats. Allow to dry 1 hour, then peel away electrical tape while coating is still tacky. Allow to dry over night. Finally, spray entire mag with the satin black rustoleum so the entire mag is the same color and to add another layer of protection over the entire mag. I think it looks awesome, feels great as it improves handling, adds grip, and preserves actual mag itself with some added durability. Also, before I began painting, I filed and smoothed the edges of the mag around the top where the rounds are fed to assure there were no jagged edges to possibly interfere with feeding.

Supplies needed:

magazine (duh)
600grit metal sand paper
Cleaner, degreaser, or paint prep solution
Can of satin black rustoleum (or color of your choice)
Can of rubberized coating
File (or dremel with grinding stone bit)

8dd365b2.jpg

1ce2a0a4.jpg

Let me know what u think? And if someone else has done this before, let me know as well cuz I've never seen one similar or heard it mentioned in conversation....I could be a pioneer!!!!

I tried this out on a Pre-ban 30 AR mag which had obviously been through it's rounds (no pun intended). I sanded it down with a 600 grit metal sand paper, cleaned it, laid down a couple base coats of satin black Allow to dry half hour. I had pre marked (with a lightly etched line all the way around) where the receiver ends and the mag becomes exposed. I located the etching, then masked off from the line to the top of the mag where the rounds are fed with electrical tape. This way the area of the mag that sits in the receiver will be protected from the rubberized coating when being applied to the lower portion. Remember to keep the can of rubberized coating far away so it doesn't go on too thick. Apply 3 light coats. Allow to dry 1 hour, then peel away electrical tape while coating is still tacky. Allow to dry over night. Finally, spray entire mag with the satin black rustoleum so the entire mag is the same color and to add another layer of protection over the entire mag. I think it looks awesome, feels great as it improves handling, adds grip, and preserves actual mag itself with some added durability. Also, before I began painting, I filed and smoothed the edges of the mag around the top where the rounds are fed to assure there were no jagged edges to possibly interfere with feeding.

Supplies needed:

magazine (duh)
600grit metal sand paper
Cleaner, degreaser, or paint prep solution
Can of satin black rustoleum (or color of your choice)
Can of rubberized coating
File (or dremel with grinding stone bit)

Great work, looks nice... and this could only happen in MA or another state with "pre" and "post" ban magazines. All the free-staters are laughing right now at all the work you put in - all THEY have to do is toss out the old beat-up one and go buy a new one for $10 or so. [crying]

I know, it's a damn shame...but we deal with it and do what we have to do. Also, I wanted to note that I left the bottom panel alone so they could still be identified. Those $10 mags are of no use to us, so here's a way to bring those old mags back to life!!

Nice, looks good. I have been wanting to refinish some of my old pre-bans but haven't decided what I want to do yet. Might try something like this with a rubberized coating or some sort of bedliner coating.

Thanks guys! The bedliner would probably work even better, but a can would be more expensive.

Yeah I think I have a couple cans hanging around... might give it a shot. I need to label/number them as well... I'll have to get creative with that.

Here it is loaded in the stick, I think it looks great!! Next project is to install a compensator, either a JP tactical, or a Troy Claymore...

16c5cec5.jpg

f4547908.jpg

I'm pretty sure they can be changed, rebuilt...as long as the casing remains intact and is able to be identified. But I believe u can replace the spring and guide plate.

Don't quote me on that though, I am not 100% sure.

I haven't heard or read anything regarding that. That being said, I have replaced the follows in mine with Magpul ones and they are 100x better than the originals. Eliminated all feeding issues.

Nice that looks pretty good!

If you want a look thats closer to original you can get Perma Silk G but its super expensive or CRC Dry Moly thats like 7 bucks a can and works just as well.

Looks good! I have a couple ugly beater mags and some Duracoat that I might have to play with.

i will be experimenting with some other spray on protectants mentioned above on a few other mags....but this kinda gets the idea started anyway. any undercoating, rubberized spray, or bed liner spray would work great!!

i will be experimenting with some other spray on protectants mentioned above on a few other mags....but this kinda gets the idea started anyway. any undercoating, rubberized spray, or bed liner spray would work great!!

Just don't get anything thicker than a few mils above the bottom of the magwell or else the mags might not drop free very easily.

I love bedliner. I recent got a mossy 500 that had the factory wood furniture. didnt look black enough for me, so i bedlined the stock and forend. looks like a brand new gun

Just don't get anything thicker than a few mils above the bottom of the magwell or else the mags might not drop free very easily.

yes, even just the few coats of satin black on the top tightened it up a bit. but after loading and releaseing the mag a few times, the paint scuffed away a little and it now drops free. but too many coats of paint will make the mag not fit, so be sparing on the top part.

Have you found any issues with the mags dropping free or binding with the paint thickness? Btw the rubber coating looks fantastic

At first it was snug, but after a few "load & release" drills, the contact points wore down and it will drop the empty mag right out now. And actually, u could always just not paint the top portion at all, or maybe just one light coat and it wouldn't have any mechanical effect what-so-ever. Thanks for the reps everyone!!

Yeah I think I have a couple cans hanging around... might give it a shot. I need to label/number them as well... I'll have to get creative with that.

Why number them? If u don't mind me asking...

And I just got my acceptance letter for Taunton R&P Club, maybe I'll see u there sometime!!

Why number them? If u don't mind me asking...

And I just got my acceptance letter for Taunton R&P Club, maybe I'll see u there sometime!!

I want to number them in case I run into any failure to feed issues etc., It will help narrow down the problem as I can say "mag #3 was jamming, but the rest work fine" instead of having to guess/try and remember which mag I was using at the time of the problem.

I want to number them in case I run into any failure to feed issues etc., It will help narrow down the problem as I can say "mag #3 was jamming, but the rest work fine" instead of having to guess/try and remember which mag I was using at the time of the problem.

great idea, thanks!

Ryan, is your pre-pan mags date stamped? I have some that are and some that aren't, and I was wondering if the rubberized coating was so thick that you it would fill in/cover over and then you couldn't read the date stamp?

Very cool, I had considered doing a similar thing but wasn't sure about altering the appearance of a pre-ban. I guess as long as you leave the stampings on it visible it shouldn't be an issue.
Do they make hot pink bed-liner? My AR needs to show it's feminine side lol!

Back
Top Bottom