Idea for old beat up AR mag refinishing!!!

Ryan, is your pre-pan mags date stamped? I have some that are and some that aren't, and I was wondering if the rubberized coating was so thick that you it would fill in/cover over and then you couldn't read the date stamp?

my prebans don't have "dates" on them, but they have the manufacturer info and some number codes (which may be dates in disguise). but they are stamped on the bottom plate, there were no markings on the sides at all, so i just left the bottom plate untouched. i think if you did paint over the markings with the rubberized paint, you would not be able to read them at all, it's pretty thick stuff.

Do they make hot pink bed-liner? My AR needs to show it's feminine side lol!

i don't believe so, but anything is possible!! you could try just painting over it with pink paint after you rubberize it, but it probably won't stay pink after falling on the ground a few times.

P.S. i answered this as if you were serious, not sure if you were or not, but there you go!!

What brand of rubberized spray did you use. I have tried 2 types and they both broke down in short time once a bit of clp got on them....I have been thinking of a bed liner type coating.

I tried this out on a Pre-ban 30 AR mag which had obviously been through it's rounds (no pun intended). I sanded it down with a 600 grit metal sand paper, cleaned it, laid down a couple base coats of satin black Allow to dry half hour. I had pre marked (with a lightly etched line all the way around) where the receiver ends and the mag becomes exposed. I located the etching, then masked off from the line to the top of the mag where the rounds are fed with electrical tape. This way the area of the mag that sits in the receiver will be protected from the rubberized coating when being applied to the lower portion. Remember to keep the can of rubberized coating far away so it doesn't go on too thick. Apply 3 light coats. Allow to dry 1 hour, then peel away electrical tape while coating is still tacky. Allow to dry over night. Finally, spray entire mag with the satin black rustoleum so the entire mag is the same color and to add another layer of protection over the entire mag. I think it looks awesome, feels great as it improves handling, adds grip, and preserves actual mag itself with some added durability. Also, before I began painting, I filed and smoothed the edges of the mag around the top where the rounds are fed to assure there were no jagged edges to possibly interfere with feeding.

Supplies needed:

magazine (duh)
600grit metal sand paper
Cleaner, degreaser, or paint prep solution
Can of satin black rustoleum (or color of your choice)
Can of rubberized coating
File (or dremel with grinding stone bit)

8dd365b2.jpg

1ce2a0a4.jpg

Let me know what u think? And if someone else has done this before, let me know as well cuz I've never seen one similar or heard it mentioned in conversation....I could be a pioneer!!!!

Wow, I think this needs a bump because I have never seen this thread. Those mags look bad ass. And yea, all you free staters can suck because I think I would feel a lot better knowing i put the work into these magazines and I know they will work, especially if you replace the old springs. Bad fahkin ass!

Back
Top Bottom