I won't shoot reloads.. Am I being unreasonable?

Sounds like you have the right to question your husband's reloads having had a kaboom already.

It sounds like you are questioning your husband, and not the process.

It wasn't her husband's reload that kaboomed.

Ok, I am going to start a post, pretty much asking you to tell me why I am wrong, which is a first for me..[thinking]
My husband reloads, and shoots his own reloads. I refuse to do it. I don't care if he uses my gun to shoot them, but I won't physically do it. I saw what happened to his gun when he had a squib, it was ugly.. split barrel, lots and lots of $$, thanking God nobody was injured, etc. The squib came from someone else's reloads, not his, just to be clear. He claims that for the most part, his reloads are safer than factory, because he meticulously takes the time to check each round individually, and they can be tailored for your needs, etc. I prefer to buy something in a box, and assume the quality control is good at whatever company got my money that day. It has crossed my mind that i am disagreeing with him because that's what i do.. Sometimes I argue just for the sake of arguing, especially with him.. So, am I being unreasonable? Am I wrong??[shocked]

Do what makes you comfortable. I would probably recommend being really familiar with the process and maybe try making a few rounds yourself before you chisel that policy in stone, but really, it's your hand and your money. Personally I check everything I do, and feel very confident in my .38's and .357's at this point.

Ive had a squib round with my duty ammo, it can happen whether it comes from a box or your press in the basement.

So what you are saying is you don't have issues with taking loads from other men, it just a flavor issue

you can get lotions and such to change those flavors now, even mint chocolate chip!

And I'd not blame the kaboom her husband had on his reloads, but rather his own inattention in shooting a second round. Anyone who has ever fired a squib would know immediately that something wasn't right, and they should check their gun. The noise is different the recoil is different and nearly all the time, the gun doesn't kick out the empty shell. Of course if he was using a revolver, the noise and recoil are still so different that a shooter should know better.

you can get lotions and such to change those flavors now, even mint chocolate chip!

And I'd not blame the kaboom her husband had on his reloads, but rather his own inattention in shooting a second round. Anyone who has ever fired a squib would know immediately that something wasn't right, and they should check their gun. The noise is different the recoil is different and nearly all the time, the gun doesn't kick out the empty shell. Of course if he was using a revolver, the noise and recoil are still so different that a shooter should know better.

Well, I wasn't there, and neither were you, so I won't speculate to what happened.... I have never had a squib, so i don't know what it feels like.

Well, I wasn't there, and neither were you, so I won't speculate to what happened.... I have never had a squib, so i don't know what it feels like.

It was demoed in my basic pistol class. If Trav has a bullet puller and you have a revolver, have him pull a bullet and dump the powder out, and fire the primed brass. That'll give you a good idea of how much the sound and feel changes.

You'll know.
When you shoot a squib everyone around you will raise their eyebrows and look at your gun.
If that ever happens it's a good indication that something is wrong.

You'll know.
When you shoot a squib everyone around you will raise their eyebrows and look at your gun.

lol.. well, that will be a problem for me, because I hardly ever notice people around me, nevermind that they are looking at me..[shocked]

You'll know.

Don't mean to go off-topic but what happens when you have a squib during a double-tap? Would your brain register that something was wrong before you pulled the trigger the second time causing the gun to explode in your face?

That'll give you a good idea of how much the sound and feel changes.

The sound of an empty case being fired is considerably different that a squib, as the gasses are all able to exit the barrel in the first case.

Don't mean to go off-topic but what happens when you have a squib during a double-tap? Would your brain register that something was wrong before you pulled the trigger the second time causing the gun to explode in your face?

Well, with an auto the gun (usually) stops so there is no "double"- the gun doesn't jack in the next round, so you know something is wrong. With a revolver things can get fun, depending on how fast you are. If you are lucky on a wheelgun, the bullet will not make it into the forcing cone and the cylinder won't turn, but this is a matter of luck more than anything else.

-Mike

I have been reloading for over 50 years, but won't use someone else's reloads unless I know who they are. I could not afford to shoot if I had to pay for factory ammo. If you know the reloader and know that they are meticulous, I'd do it.

Sounds like you have the right to question your husband's reloads having had a kaboom already.

It sounds like you are questioning your husband, and not the process.

It wasn't her husband's reload that kaboomed.

[rofl]

I find this hilarious 'cause his s/n is "wixedmords"

I would echo the sentiment that I would shoot reloads of people I know and trust, and always make a point to inspect factory ammo before/as it's being loaded into my magazines.

Had a gun blow up on me once with factory ammo. Everything in front of the cylindar was sitting on the range. Then again I have fired thousands of rounds of my own reloads with 1 problem (Squib) that i can remember. Sounded different, so I did what your supposed to do and cleared it and moved on. I would fire someones reloads I know is responsible.

If you're worried about ammo related malfunctions stay away from WWB & REM-UMC.
Starting out back in the day I had more problems with these bulk products that with the countless number of my own reloads.
I've only had 2 yes 2 incidents with my own reloads over the many years. One was a upside down primer & one got away from me while reloading & didn't get a propellant charge. Two little pops that never ended up chambering the next round.

I won't shoot someone else's reloads. And yes, I've had squibs with my own reloads -- never fired a second round after squib, though (knock on wood!).

I'm not sure why, can you explain?
I'm not rep308, but I'd guess that would be due to liability. If Winchester loads a double charge in a cartridge and your buddy Earl gets hurt when his gun detonates, it is Winchester on the hook. If you double-charge a cartridge case and your buddy Earl gets hurt when his gun detonates with your load, then guess who is on the hook?

I think there was a video a while ago of some ammo company. The video showed 3 or 4 people sitting at Dillon progressive presses yanking away.
I figure if they use the same tools as I do, then why not :)

I don't picture people at Winchester, Remmington Federal or other mainstream ammo producers pulling away at a Dillon. But I don't know. I would think these oufits have things somewhat more automated. If anything seems to fit automation building cartridges [STRIKE]bullets[/STRIKE] certainly does. I don't have strong felings about shooting reload either way. I have never ventured into the world of reloading because I have not had the time. I do reload my cap and ball rounds 6 at a time but get to skip the brass steps.

But for liability reasons I would only use factory for self defense. I would never want to have to defend against a Frankenload theory by a overzelous prosecutor.

Last edited:
I don't want the responsibility of my possible mistake causing anyone else problems.

If you let someone else use your reloads, you need a clear understanding of responsibility if there is gun damage. If someone does me a favor at a match and gives me some reloads when I am a bit short on ammo, I'm not about to expect them to pay to have my gun rebuilt. Other people have completely different thoughts on this issue - and the time to make sure you are on the same page is before you ammo share.

Do you eat other people's cooking?

Shooting reloads might allow you to find the perfect ammo match for your gun. Imagine the fun in hitting the x ring 10 out of 10?

Ok, I am going to start a post, pretty much asking you to tell me why I am wrong, which is a first for me..[thinking]
My husband reloads, and shoots his own reloads. I refuse to do it. I don't care if he uses my gun to shoot them, but I won't physically do it. I saw what happened to his gun when he had a squib, it was ugly.. split barrel, lots and lots of $$, thanking God nobody was injured, etc. The squib came from someone else's reloads, not his, just to be clear. He claims that for the most part, his reloads are safer than factory, because he meticulously takes the time to check each round individually, and they can be tailored for your needs, etc. I prefer to buy something in a box, and assume the quality control is good at whatever company got my money that day. It has crossed my mind that i am disagreeing with him because that's what i do.. Sometimes I argue just for the sake of arguing, especially with him.. So, am I being unreasonable? Am I wrong??[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom