• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I won't shoot reloads.. Am I being unreasonable?

Ok, I am going to start a post, pretty much asking you to tell me why I am wrong, which is a first for me..[thinking]
My husband reloads, and shoots his own reloads. I refuse to do it. I don't care if he uses my gun to shoot them, but I won't physically do it. I saw what happened to his gun when he had a squib, it was ugly.. split barrel, lots and lots of $$, thanking God nobody was injured, etc. The squib came from someone else's reloads, not his, just to be clear. He claims that for the most part, his reloads are safer than factory, because he meticulously takes the time to check each round individually, and they can be tailored for your needs, etc. I prefer to buy something in a box, and assume the quality control is good at whatever company got my money that day. It has crossed my mind that i am disagreeing with him because that's what i do.. Sometimes I argue just for the sake of arguing, especially with him.. So, am I being unreasonable? Am I wrong??[shocked]

So you're basically saying you don't trust your husband
If his reloads have been safe and reliable. then why spend the extra money on factory ammo

Ok, I am going to start a post, pretty much asking you to tell me why I am wrong, which is a first for me..[thinking]
My husband reloads, and shoots his own reloads. I refuse to do it. I don't care if he uses my gun to shoot them, but I won't physically do it. I saw what happened to his gun when he had a squib, it was ugly.. split barrel, lots and lots of $$, thanking God nobody was injured, etc. The squib came from someone else's reloads, not his, just to be clear. He claims that for the most part, his reloads are safer than factory, because he meticulously takes the time to check each round individually, and they can be tailored for your needs, etc. I prefer to buy something in a box, and assume the quality control is good at whatever company got my money that day. It has crossed my mind that i am disagreeing with him because that's what i do.. Sometimes I argue just for the sake of arguing, especially with him.. So, am I being unreasonable? Am I wrong??[shocked]

I shoot my own reloads. Thousands of them. Every round goes through a powder check (Checks for double charges or 0 charges).
The worst I've ever gotten was a misfire...and much less frequent than factory ammo.

Factory ammo on the other hand has been less consistent:
I've gotten bullets inserted backwards (Pointy end facing the primer)
Bullets that look like they've been seated by a jagged wrench and seated way too far down to be anything close to safe.
At a steel shoot I saw someone who was shooting Winchester White Box 40 have 2 squib loads within 10 minutes of each other.

What might make you more likely to shoot reloads: Help him with the reloading process. Then you'd understand what goes into it.
Also, inspect every round before you load it into a magazine.

I've talked with a guy at my local range who has personally seen two KABOOMS. One with a reload, one with factory ammo. Maybe you should start making your own batches so you can shoot reloads.

As a general rule, I don't shoot other peoples reloads. Exceptions have been made, but I need to feel 1000% comfortable with the person doing the reloading. I do frequently purchase and shoot reloads from a few guy's that are "In the Business" of reloading, QMMO, and M&M to name a few. I feel comfortable with both of them.

I don't reload my own pistol of rifle cartridges, but I do reload shotgun shells for Trap & Skeet, I'm completely comfortable with my own loads and understand completely if someone else is not interested in shooting them.

The list of other people whose reloads I'll shoot is relatively short. It's limited to people I trust to take the same amount of care that I do. I'll second the people who suggest helping your husband load so you can see the care that goes in to the process.

I'd have no problem shooting reloads as long as I know the person reloading them, and if their EC's reloads, well, I'd feel safe shooting them, though I'm sure the kick would be interesting to say the least... [wink]

no, I wasn't clear..I won't shoot anyone's reloands..

I think there was a video a while ago of some ammo company. The video showed 3 or 4 people sitting at Dillon progressive presses yanking away.
I figure if they use the same tools as I do, then why not :)

Last edited:
Yes, you are being unreasonable. [grin] With good QC you won't run into any more problems than you would shooting commercial ammunition. I can understand not wanting to shoot someone else's reloads, fine... but if you reload responsibly it's not an issue. To date I've only ever had a couple of bad batches, and I knew they were bad when they came out of the machine, and I set them aside. (I still shot some of them anyways (slowly) knowing up front that there was probably going to be a squib in the bag!) I've never blown up a gun or come close to it. I've probably churned out upwards of 8000+ rounds at this point (I've lost count, it's probably like 10K or more, I'm just being conservative) with no safety problems whatsoever in the ammo that makes it through my QC process into marked boxes. There are other guys here that probably have made 5-10 times what I have and haven't had problems.

And BTW, commercial ammo is not magically "exempt" from KBs and squibs, either. If you go on "thegunzone.com" and start poking around, a lot of the KB pics there are from commercial ammo. Somewhere on there there is a pic of a Ruger .40 S+W carbine blown up nicely by S+B factory ammo, and a whole bunch of Glocks done in from shooting various brands of commercial ammo, some of it is even the hi-brow carry grade stuff.

-Mike

Last edited:
I shoot my own reloads. Thousands of them. Every round goes through a powder check (Checks for double charges or 0 charges).
The worst I've ever gotten was a misfire...and much less frequent than factory ammo.

Factory ammo on the other hand has been less consistent:
I've gotten bullets inserted backwards (Pointy end facing the primer)
Bullets that look like they've been seated by a jagged wrench and seated way too far down to be anything close to safe.
At a steel shoot I saw someone who was shooting Winchester White Box 40 have 2 squib loads within 10 minutes of each other.

What might make you more likely to shoot reloads: Help him with the reloading process. Then you'd understand what goes into it.
Also, inspect every round before you load it into a magazine.

Spend more time with my wife. Thanks guys, you want to swing by my house and kick my dog too.

Then I'd agree with everyone else so far that you are being unreasonable. Functionally speaking there is nothing different between a reload and a commercial round, the real difference lies in the construction process (as Underwhere pointed out in some cases even tools are the same and not just the individual components). So if you are refusing to use any reloads you are in essence saying you don't trust the item when you should really be saying I don't trust the builder. As has been said the later is perfectly sensible and reasonable, the former not so much... JMO

Last edited:
Well I can say I have shot Trav's reloads in a match (my first and only) using his wife's gun.....not 1 issue....and he is also giving me advice and helping me with my first jump into reloading...I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any of his reloads..I know how meticulous he is and his QC is second to none as far as I know....So Jenn why spend the extra on factory when you have all you want for much cheaper....

It's really your choice. We reload and take as many precautions as we can to eliminate any chances. If you're consistent than there's no problem with shooting reloads. We've shot thousands with no problems so far *knocks on wood*

But it really depends on the reloader...sloppy reloading will always lead to problems

Last edited:
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that every time you pull the trigger something could go terribly wrong. Sure, the odds are extremely low but there is always a chance of an unpleasant kaboom. I actually trust my loads more than I trust the factory loads. The rounds I load go through a thorough check, whereas the factory loads I have no clue about. For all I know only one out of every 100,000 gets checked. I've had issues with WWB .45 rounds where they weren't crimped properly and caused my gun to jam. I would never have this problem with my rounds.

Wrong is such a harsh word. Maybe overly cautious is a better word. But, then again it is your gun/hand/arm/face that is the closest to the big bang if it occurs.

I reload my own. I am cautious as well. My son shoots with me. He reloads his own. We will shoot each others reloads because we know where they are coming from. I don't know anyone else well enough to trust their reloads.

You, on the other hand have a husband that probably cares a great deal about you. If this is true, trust him. Who else can you trust better than him? (I hope!) Better yet, have him help you get started on reloading your own!!

What ever your final decision is, it is yours to make.

I feel my reloads fit my needs much better than factory ammo. Factory ammo is much more expensive... however there is no price you can put on your fingers... so what does that tell you? ;)

Am I wrong??[shocked]

That's like asking if you are wrong in liking vanilla, rocky road or chocolate chip cookie dough flavored ice cream. So long as you don't forbid hubby or advocate banning reloading, there is nothing to be wrong or right about. And despite supermofo's insane suggestion, this isn't about trusting your hubby. That is just wrong and a wrong way of looking at it.

We trust other people to do things for us all the time, fix our cars, do our taxes, manage our money... Some of us are okay with this level of contracting, others do everything themselves. Why you ask? Because they want it done RIGHT, the way they want it. And there is no better way to ensure something is done right, than to do it yourself. Get into reloading enough, and you'd start betting pink slips that there won't be any faulty rounds in your ammo can. Mistakes happen, whether they are from a factory, or from your own reloading bench. But since you can't go to the factory and QC them yourself, the best safeguard in my opinion is to make your own rounds.

That's like asking if you are wrong in liking vanilla, rocky road or chocolate chip cookie dough flavored ice cream. So long as you don't forbid hubby or advocate banning reloading, there is nothing to be wrong or right about. And despite supermofo's insane suggestion, this isn't about trusting your hubby. That is just wrong and a wrong way of looking at it.

So what you are saying is you don't have issues with taking loads from other men, it just a flavor issue

Back
Top Bottom